Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The annual 'Wogan Gets Pissed on Live TV' thread

Yes, folks, its that time of year again:

Eurovision is upon us, and including the semi-finals (on Tuesday and Thursday, live on TV around Europe) there are 43, count them 43 entrants.

The videos of the songs are available here

Of course it will be the usual cut-up between whichever set of neighbours are in the final, but some of the songs/performances are generally very funny.

I am not in the least bothered if this is a nil thread: I love Eurovision. Fuck, that was harder to say than 'I am a poof'

You should have seen the last few Eurovisions. You're in fine company here.

Comment

Oh Goody.

Comment

Portugal have actually got a half decent song this year but there's this dodgy bit in the middle with a military drum role that completely kills the momentum of the song. Still, I'm tempted to put a tenner on it at 50-1 on Paddy Power. I also reckon that the organisers probably fancy a change of scenery next year and with Italy not competing and Spain entering some stupid comedy rapper, Portugal could be a good destination for the organisers to get some beach action next year.

Finally, what's the Ireland entry all about? Are Gordon the Gopher and Roland Rat still popular over there?

Comment

Just listening to some of the other entries. The French entry is actually properly excellent, sounds a little bit like Felt.

Comment

The French entry is amazing, it'll never win though. Turns out he's just made an album with Guy Manuel Homem Cristo from Daft Punk.

http://www.myspace.com/TELLIERSEBASTIEN

Comment

Is there anywhere showing it on live stream? Out telly's on the blink at the moment and I don't want to miss out on it.

Comment

Sixteen years after Denim's "Here Is My Song For Europe", a Eurovision entry that sounds like Felt! Poor Lawrence, doomed to always be ahead of his time.

Comment

steveeeeeeeee wrote:
                  Finally, what's the Ireland entry all about? Are Gordon the Gopher and Roland Rat still popular over there?
                  I have managed to avoid hearing it so far, but can only imagine how bad it is, and how ridiculous it makes us look . Bad and all as our recent efforts have been I would have preferred if we abstained rather than that.

Comment

Alderman: The semis on Tuesday and Thursday are going out live here

No mention yet of the final coverage.

The final is live on www.bbc.co.uk/radio2 but cant find anywhere with pictures yet.

Comment

There is a list of 11 national broadcasters here, but I suspect you will need better language skills than I have, to find out if its being broadcast.

Comment

Appears that the official site will be hosting a live stream of both the semis and the final, but I have no clue whose commentary they will be using.

Comment

Thanks Geronto and UA - the commentary doesn't matter. It's better on here anyway.

Comment

That French song is fantastic! Good call stev9e.

Comment

I really, really wish that they would show it over here. It would be a wild success and all the people I have told about it would know what I am talikng about.

Comment

Well, I've just taken the trouble of watching all the clips on YouTube, and it was pretty harrowing for the most part. Also, I've got umpteen old songs on the tip of my brain that this year's entries have ripped off.

However, if any of the following three win it, I'll be genuinely happy:

Bulgaria: Fifteen years too late, M/A/R/R/S meet the Prodigy meet a lovely young lady who neither of the overweight, balding DJ's have much of a chance of "taking away". Always nice to see a bit of old-skool breakdancing too.

Turkey: It's the Manic Street Preachers!

Lithuania: My guilty pleasure, this one. A younger, thinner version of Meatloaf does the most overwrought operatic West End power ballad imaginable, on occasions unwittingly straying into Tom Jones or even Scott Walker territory. Interesting chord changes. It also took me a while to work out that it was a scarf hanging down his left leg and not a colostomy bag.

If I were to put money on it, though, I think I'd bet on Ukraine to win it. A lively Donna Summer "Hot Stuff"-type disco number, a dash of the Slavic folk element and a singer with a strong set of pipes. Not my favourite, but not too bad either.

That Irish thing is abysmal, and Spain's not much better either. The French one is nice enough and clever and all that, but it doesn't go anywhere and this is supposed to be a song contest.

Comment

the french one reminds of the super furry animals, which is a good thing. can't really see it winning though

i'm not even going to try and pick a winner after last year

Comment

adams house cat wrote:
                                    I really, really wish that they would show it over here. It would be a wild success and all the people I have told about it would know what I am talikng about.
                                    I had never heard of Eurovision before OTF, and I've noticed one or two articles about it in the US media in the last few years, mostly trying to relate it to American Idol.

I don't think it would work in the US, because I think Americans would assume the music would be strange and would have no interest in it. I'm sure a takeoff called "America Sings!" or something like that with entries from the 50 states would be huge.

Comment

You'd get the same block voting, though. Surely the Confederacy would lock it down, and show those rootin' tootin' city slickers a thing or two.

Comment

Popbitch has a quality guide to this

http://cde.cerosmedia.com/1K482b0f42acf88012.cde

Comment

I can't tolerate a whole evening of Eurovision or Wogan - but I may be tempted to watch the Father Ted episode with 'My Lovely Horse' instead.

What gets me about Eurovision these days is that countries who became independent after being sworn enemies during civil war always award themselves the top whack a few years later. Serbia, last year's winners, were given douze points by Croatia if memory serves.

If the UK are to be considered serious candidates then there needs to be a bloody fight for independence which means the UK is fragmented into numerous independent states. Then maybe one day Morrissey's rendition of Boom Bang A Bang will be awarded 12 points by the Republic of Liverpool, with the Democratic State of Mancunia returning the compliment for Julian Cope's performance of Save All Your Kisses For Me.

Comment

I know everyone likes to moan about that, and it is annoying, but the standard (such as it is - this is Eurovision after all) of the entries from the bloc-voting countries has tended to be better anyway. They put more into it.

Every year, the UK enters a desultory sub-SAW effort sung by someone from Pop Idol and then everyone gets all arsey when nobody votes for it.

Comment

Pretend Best Friend wrote:
                                              Popbitch has a quality guide to this

http://cde.cerosmedia.com/1K482b0f42acf88012.cde
                                              Which reveals Latvia's entry to be by a tribute act to the male members of Army of Lovers.

Comment

that Latvia thing is exactly the sort of schtick that could win it. If they get through the semis, I may have a guinea or two on it.

and Azerbaijan's mini opera could have easily come straight from 'Jesus Christ Superstar'

Comment

The last few years of Eurovision on OTF:

2003: The year of Jemini, Sertab and Alf Poier. I can still remember six, including Latvia's which only got 5 points.

2004: OTF's first 'in-play' Eurovision. The year of Ruslana, the first ever semi final, and Sweden's entry about anal sex. I can still remember five, but I've forgotten all of the losing semi-finalists.

2005: The year of Helen Papalazarou, the anthem to the Orange Revolution, and probably the worst year in living memory. I've done well to forget the lot, even Greece, which according to the write up, I loved.

2006: The year of Lordi, Las Ketchup, German Country & Western and Lithuania being the winners - of Eurovision. I can only remember four, which is a suprise, because it was a good year.

2007: The year of Marija Serifovic, Scooch, and the re-emergence of Roland Browning. I can only remember Scooch.

Top ten of the last five years (that I can remember off the top of my head):

1. LT United - We Are The Winners (Lithuania, 2006)
                                                  2. Ruslana - Wild Dances (Ukraine, 2004)
                                                  3. Anjeza Shahini - The Image Of You (Albania, 2004)
                                                  4. Ruffus - Eighties Coming Back (Estonia, 2003)
                                                  5. Texas Lightning No No Never (Germany, 2006)
                                                  6. Sertab Erener - Every Way That I Can (Turkey, 2003)
                                                  7. t.A.T.u. - Ne Ver', Ne Boysia (Russia, 2003)
                                                  8. Deen - In The Disco (Bosnia, 2004)
                                                  9. F.L.Y. - Hello From Mars (Latvia, 2003)
                                                  10 Alf Poier - Weil der Mensch zählt (Austria, 2003)

I don't go in for previews. I know what ours sounds like (Even If by Andy Abraham). It's shit, but represents a win for democracy over the BBC's attempts to parachute ex-Eastenders star, and wife of BBC employee Michelle Gayle to win. It's so bad and dirgesoul by numbers, France have asked if he can represent them, too. But I will watch the semis this year. If only so I can phone in the recaps on Saturday.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X