Oh, is he still playing?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think you might find that Dickov is the man who has been brought in to bulk up your front line.

Watch him go as a manager, though. I'd be delighted if I was you.

Comment

On your first point, absolutely - he is our new striker, I think.

On the second, he's made a good start by saying all the right things - it's for him and the players to earn the fans' respect, can't expect them to come flooding back until they're playing well, will make mistakes, knows you can't treat all players the same, knows he'll have to beg, steal and borrow players, it's all about playing with passion, etc. Nothing groundbreaking but hitting all the right notes with disillusioned fans.

Looks like he's bringing Gerry Taggart in as his assistant on Monday, which Leicester fans seem to think is a very good move for us and a shame for them. No news on who he's looking to bring in, but Nicky Weaver and Jon Macken have been mentioned.

Comment

Houdi Elbow wrote:
        I saw Kevin Poole play a full game for Burton a couple of weeks ago at Dagenham. Tony Roberts was at the other end, making the combined age of the goalkeepers 86. Both played very well.
        Which was how the season ended at Wembley in the playoff final. (Only at Wembley they were even older, as is customary, and expected, with the passage of time).

Comment

Re: the Div. 2 playoff final - The keeper for Rotherham (Warrington) looked to be in his 40's w/ the gray/white hair, but was apparently a mere pup of 33.

Roberts would be 41 when the season starts.

Comment

Jari Litmanen played an international game for Finland just last month, which means he has played for his country in four different decades.

Comment

I recently discovered that Jurgen Kohler is still playing at the grand age of 44 for Alemannia Adendorf. This makes him the only Euro 88 and WC90 player still active (and possibly Euro 92).

Comment

Jari Litmanen played an international game for Finland just last month, which means he has played for his country in four different decades.
                Blimey O'Reilly, and if you add in his dad, then there's been a Litmanen in the Finnish national side for the last five decades. That's pretty bloody impressive!

I also have Kasey Keller from the US Italia 90 squad turning out for Seattle Sounders at the grand old age of 40, so I guess it's a race between him and Kohler for the award of last man standing. On that basis I reckon I have a couple of World Cups left in me yet...

Comment

Darlington sign Northern Ireland winger Keith Gillespie

Darlington have signed former Northern Ireland international winger Keith Gillespie following a successful trial with the Blue Square Bet Premier club.

Gillespie, 35, has 86 caps for his country, and has made 477 appearances since his Manchester United debut against Bury in the 1992-93 FA Cup.

His most profitable spells came with Newcastle and Blackburn, winning the 2002 League Cup with the latter.

Glentoran were his last club, having left them at the end of last season.

Comparisons were made with another Northern Ireland winger in the mercurial George Best when he emerged at Manchester United as a teenager, scoring on his debut in the cup.

However, with Ukraine winger Andrei Kanchelskis occupying the right-wing spot in the United side, Gillespie found regular football hard to come by and eventually moved on to Newcastle United as a £1m-valued makeweight in Andy Cole's £7m transfer to Old Trafford in January 1995.

His arrival at Newcastle brought the winger under the management of Kevin Keegan, who used the Irishman to great effect in his attack-minded line-up.

The combination of Gillespie on one flank and France international David Ginola on the other was a key part in Keegan's 'Entertainers' side that challenged Manchester United for the Premier League title in 1995-96.

After more than 100 league appearances, and a string of fine contributions in both domestic and European competition, his next move was to Blackburn in December 1998, costing the Lancashire club £2.35m.

Although unable to avoid relegation in his first season at Ewood Park, Gillespie was a key figure in the club's promotion back to the top flight in 2000-01 and went on to win the League Cup, his only major honour, against Tottenham Hotspur in 2002.

Productive stints with Leicester City and Sheffield United were followed by injury affected spells at Charlton and Bradford, and then a move to his native Northern Ireland with Glentoran.

Gillespie had been declared bankrupt in October of this year, after HM Revenue and Customs took action over a tax bill.

Comment

Mario Jardel still turning out, this time in Bulgaria.

Comment

Vieri unhangs it up.

Comment

Antepli Ejderha wrote:
                        Mario Jardel still turning out, this time in Bulgaria.
                        Rio Negro has just become his 20th club in 19 years as a pro.

Comment

Thought this was going to a thread about Mick McCarthy / Juan Veron

Comment

I think Steffan Iversen's move to Palace almost qualifies for this thread even if he is only 34.

Comment

Harry Truscott wrote:
                              I think Steffan Iversen's move to Palace almost qualifies for this thread even if he is only 34.
                              In what role has he joined them?

I guess he has moved from Norway again.

Comment

From the BBC ;

Crystal Palace have signed former Tottenham striker Steffen Iversen on a free transfer from Rosenborg.

The 34-year-old Norway international is understood to have signed an 18-month contract and passed a medical, but is waiting for international clearance.

George Burley, who was sacked as Palace manager following their defeat at Millwall, told BBC London 94.9: "He'll give us strength and lead the line.
                                "If we get the clearance through he should play [against Preston]."
                                Iversen began his career at Rosenborg in his homeland and signed for Spurs for £2.5m in December 1996.

After more the six years at White Hart Lane in which he scored 64 goals, he moved on a free transfer to Wolves where he spent just one season.

The striker returned to Rosenborg in July 2006 following two seasons with Valerenga and his contract expired this winter.

Comment

I don't watch that much Scottish football, but I couldn't believe the sight of a 40 year old David Weir commanding Ranger's back four yesterday.

He looks like he's still got a few seasons left in him as well.

Comment

Looks like Iversen has still got it too.

Comment

Flicking on to Brentford v Exeter has been worth it just to see Jamie Cureton and Nicky Forster on opposing sides with a combined age of 72.

Comment

Kezman joined Nicky Butt at South China FC

Never rated Kezman having not seen him prior Chelsea, but I was surprised to find out about Butt on local news last night.

Comment

Butt's been there a couple of months hasn't he? I haven't been on OTF much recently so didn't post it as I assumed it was in here somewhere already. He scored on his debut.

Comment

Butt's transfer to South China is pleasingly old school - the HK league used to be full of seasoned British pros, but that doesn't really happen anymore (for obvious reasons).

Comment

Paul Furlong has just scored for Kettering. He's 42 years old.

Comment

Kezman was always crap -- his scoring record in the Champions League for PSV Eindhoven was disgracefully bad.

He grabbed one against Man Utd in 2000 though.

Comment

ryan giggs has just scored. Do the bartman was No.1 when he made his debut.

Comment

He's a wonder of modern science.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X