• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, is he still playing?!

Ibn Pickthall wrote:
    Frank Sinclair at Wrexham. Now a sprightly 38
    He was at Lincoln and Wycombe last season
    Yes, and I wish he'd have bloody stayed there.
    He was lauded as "ex-Chelsea star Sinclair" after he signed when really he was "couldn't get a contract at Bury, Sinclair".

We've had our fair share of former "stars" under Dean Saunders.

In the last two seasons we've had ex-Cameroonian African Cup of Nations star and Olympic Gold medal winner, Patrick Suffo, we've had ex-Leeds and St Etienne Senegalese, African Cup of Nations "star", Lamine Sakho, we've had ex-Feyenoord and Gahnaian African Cup of Nations "star" Christian Gyan, ex-Jamaican World Cup "star", Paul Hall came by on loan ...

Comment

Robbie Fowler's Now (fresh From an Indian Summer In Townsville) gonna sign for Sydney Fc -which will definately exite the Local Liverpool fans chapter- The saddest thing is that as a marquee player he is still Lauded as something special - I figure he's Just Whiling away the days till he qualifys for Residency and can live in Brisbane or perth like most Poms..........

God

Comment

Ian Pearce did retire from professional football two years back, and dropped into non-league with Kingstonian
        He played one game, a disastrous 6-1 loss with Ks' top scorer moved to the wing to accommodate Pearce's desire to be a striker.

Comment

Kazzy Miura is still playing in the Japanese Second Division and became the oldest goalscorer in League history when he scored for Yokohama at the age of 42.

Grizzled Serie A watchers might just remember him for his short and unsuccessful stint as the first Japanese player in Serie A when he signed for Genoa in 1992. On his debut he caught a stray elbow from Franco Baresi that broke his cheekbone and he only ever looked scared and lost after that.

Talking about Serie A oddities, is Gadaffi's son still playing somewhere or did he take the head of the Libyan FA gig ?

Comment

Julian Joachim is now at Hinckley United via Coventry City, Leeds United, Walsall, Boston United, Darlington, King's Lynn, Thurmaston Town and Quorn.

Comment

Mohamed Kallon has has an interesting career following his nadrolone ban. The hightlight is most surely him turning out for Kallon FC, the Sierra Leoneon club for which he is chairman.

Comment

Former Middlesbrough forward Andy Campbell is playing for Whitby in the Unibond league. The Unibond is great for this. At least twice a season I'll see the opposition team and get a "Fucking hell, look who it is!" moment.

Comment

You could once buy a commemorative bronze replica of Andy Campbell's left boot with which he won the 2003 D3 play-off final for us. I wonder what price they fetch on the open market now.

Comment

Literally pounds.

Comment

LaVecchiaSmoggie wrote:
                      Mohamed Kallon has has an interesting career following his nadrolone ban. The hightlight is most surely him turning out for Kallon FC, the Sierra Leoneon club for which he is chairman.
                      Now in China along with others mentioned here

Comment

Erichino wrote:
                        Julian Joachim is now at Hinckley United via Coventry City, Leeds United, Walsall, Boston United, Darlington, King's Lynn, Thurmaston Town and Quorn.
                        Wow. Plying his trade in the hinterlands of Charnwood. Where next for the Prostars-immortalised winger? Sileby?

Comment

Harry Truscott wrote:
                          You could once buy a commemorative bronze replica of Andy Campbell's left boot with which he won the 2003 D3 play-off final for us. I wonder what price they fetch on the open market now.
                          I'd love to see that on the Antiques Roadshow (which I have inexplicably got back into watching again every Sunday evening)

Comment

Doncaster keeper Neil Sullivan still plugging away in the Championship, aged 40.

Comment

I liked Kazu Miura - he was certainly much more of a player than that spiky-haired fraud Nakata.

Comment

The Pannini Italia 90 thread reminded me of Stefano Tacconi's recent return to football - at the age of 51, no less - with amateur side Arquata.

Comment

Jorge Porbillas wrote:
                                  Ibn Pickthall wrote:
                                  He was lauded as "ex-Chelsea star Sinclair" after he signed when really he was "couldn't get a contract at Bury, Sinclair".
                                  Soccerbase says he's had 3 red and 2 yellow cards in 17 appearances this season, is that true? Is he trying to play himself out of a new contract?

Comment

I played 7-a-side with Andy Campbell about two years ago. He wasn't particularly good, but had some shot on him. Much like his pro career.

Comment

Steve Bruce twice tried to sign him for us.

Then we realised we had no money.

Comment

Campbell's goal scoring figures for us illustrate a possibly unprecedented switch from loan success to permanent signing disaster.

He scored 6 goals in 5 league games on loan from Boro which persuaded us to splash out £900k for him in the midst of Hammam's spending spree. He then proceeded to need another 68 league appearances to add his next six before we finally got rid.

Comment

He scored a brace for my lot in a thrilling Saturday dinnertime 10-8 win.

Comment

Ibn Pickthall wrote:
                                            Jorge Porbillas wrote:
                                            Ibn Pickthall wrote:
                                            Soccerbase says he's had 3 red and 2 yellow cards in 17 appearances this season, is that true? Is he trying to play himself out of a new contract?
                                            Sinclair's contract renewed, he's "exactly the type of character we need" says Saunders

Comment

Alex Rae "did a Zidane" today; getting sent off in the final game of his career (at least it will be now he's suspended for next week).

A sad- but strangely appropriate- end to a player who'd walk into my Wolves Dream Team (of players I've seen, that is). Here he is doing a different kind of Zidane in the 2003 play-off semi-final.

Comment

Sad and appropriate that the cunt finished his days at the Franchise, too.

Comment

I saw Kevin Poole play a full game for Burton a couple of weeks ago at Dagenham. Tony Roberts was at the other end, making the combined age of the goalkeepers 86. Both played very well.

Comment

delicatemoth wrote:
                                                    Paul Dickov is at Leeds, though I don't know how much playing time he's getting.

Chris Powell has appeared for us this year, he will be 41 in September. He was a regular last season, played well too.

Kevin Poole, 46, has appeared a couple of times for Burton this season, and according to Wiki has made 117 appearances for them in the last four years.
                                                    Paul Dickov is Oldham's new player/manager. Says he wants to play next season as well - probably will, as our playing budget's been cut so I doubt we'll be bringing in anyone fancy to bulk up our front line.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X