No announcement yet.

Oh, is he still playing?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pierre Webó re-signed for Nacional of Uruguay yesterday, a mere sixteen years after leaving them. I was slightly surprised to find he's only 36.

Comment

Has anybody mentioned Claudio Pizarro, who'll be turning 40 in October? Still getting a game for Werder.

Comment

Valeri Bojinov signs for his 15th club in the last 16 years.

https://twitter.com/Jaimefmacias/status/1039907837785399297

He's only 32.

Comment

David Stockdale is in goal for Southend today. I feel like he used to be talked about as one for the future. He's 33 and a bit tubby.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
            Valeri Bojinov signs for his 15th club in the last 16 years.

https://twitter.com/Jaimefmacias/status/1039907837785399297

He's only 32.
            What is wrong with him?

Comment

hmm edmundo had 18 clubs in 17 years. but five of those clubs were Vasco Da Gama, and two of them were palmeiras. What was the name of that brazilian who played for deportivo la coruna who kept headbutting people?

Comment

Djalminha! only seven clubs for him.

Comment

Djalminha?

Bojinov can start a punch up in a phone booth and has been rumoured to have other off-field issues.

Comment

Much to my surprise, Cardiff's goalscorer at Stamford Bridge today was Sol Bamba, who I saw playing for Dunfermline a loooooong time ago. Also surprisingly, he's still only 33.

Comment

Originally posted by blameless View Post
                      Much to my surprise, Cardiff's goalscorer at Stamford Bridge today was Sol Bamba, who I saw playing for Dunfermline a loooooong time ago. Also surprisingly, he's still only 33.
                      And better than Virgil van Dijk according to Colin. Not on yesterday's evidence, he's not... Dick van Dyke would probably have been better.

Comment

Possibly need to reinterpret the thread title a bit, but Alberto Gilardino is considering an offer from Piacenza. Definitely a career that didn't quite scale the heights it threatened to at times.

Comment

Kennedy Bakircioglu is apparently still playing, and putting in world class goal celebrations.

Well, it made my day anyway.

Comment

The latest WSC informs me that Julian Joachim is still playing non-league at the age of 44

Comment

Former Aberdeen, Luton and Rapid Vienna midfielder Markus Heikkinen played the final game of his long career today here in Oulu today, retiring at the age of 40.

Once verbally agreed to join Doncaster before buggering off and signing for The Hatters instead.

Comment

Oh, was Joe Cole still playing?

Comment

I was surprised to hear that too. MLS definitely where players are put out to pasture now.

Comment

I went to watch Matlock Town on Saturday, and they had ex-every-team-in-the-East-Midlands-and-Portsmouth striker Craig Westcarr playing up front. I had committed to adding him to this thread before I realised he's two years younger than me at 33. It's a sad day.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                      I was surprised to hear that too. MLS definitely where players are put out to pasture now.
                                      Cole's team, Tampa Bay Rowdies, were playing in the USL - a level below MLS.

Comment

Ah, my ignorance broadcast far and wide again

Comment

Hey, we're all here to learn.

Granted, sometimes that learning is that Phil Brown has somehow been at Swindon for six months but it's all education.

Comment

Cole is almost certainly the only England international with more than 50 caps to have changed leagues without changing clubs or being relegated (or promoted).

Tampa Bay left the NASL to join the then less-prestigious USL after his first season.

Comment

Now there's a challenge. Wiki tells us that Stuart Pearce was with Wealdstone from 1978 but doesn't say when he made his debut. If he turned out for them before the 79-80 season, then he played in the Southern League then the Alliance when the leagues were reorganised. Perhaps Wealdstone experts can advise. The caps, of course, came later.

Comment

He's been there more than one season?

Comment

Cole played more than eighty games for the Rowdies over the course of three seasons.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                                    Cole is almost certainly the only England international with more than 50 caps to have changed leagues without changing clubs or being relegated (or promoted).

Tampa Bay left the NASL to join the then less-prestigious USL after his first season.
                                                    <pedant>Peter Beardsley, for example, played the 1991-92 season with Everton in the Football League First Division, and the 1992-93 season with Everton in the Premier League.</pedant>

Comment

Working...
                                                    X