Manufacturers' instructions you always ignore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1. Do a "strand test" or "allergy test" 24 hours before using hair dye.

Oh, fuck off. Who has time for that? If, after decades of non-consensually torturing bunny rabbits, you're still not sure that your product isn't going to bring me out in leprotic lesions, it shouldn't be on the shelves in the first place.

2. "Preheat the oven"

Nah, I'll just whack an extra couple of minutes on the timer, it'll be fine.

I have to admit to doing allergy tests for hair colour.

Have you found any decent ones that aren't tested on animals? I think I'm too old for henna now.

Comment

"Do not place animals in oven."

Fucking microwaves get me every time.

Comment

for fuck's sake. sorry to sidetrack your thread so early but, I got a box of hair colour stuff and I was going to do it today so that I would feel like I had made an effort for Italy and magically instantly have hair like Penelope Cruz in that advert and somehow or other I have managed to lose one of the bottles, and it's just about the last bloody straw. argh.

Comment

I always preheat the over for roast meat, because you want it, well, like an oven in there early doors, so everything you need crisped up crisps up. But that's obviously not going to arise for you. Plus meat doesn't so often come in a packet with instructions on it.

Comment

Yeah I preheat when I'm baking cos it does make a difference.

I think I'm too obedient. I try not to leave candles unattended and that sort of thing.

Comment

You know you only have to do that when they're alight, yeah?

Comment

Especially one of these candles

/ Old Baker & Kelly link. The included 10-inch match is the best part about it.

Comment

Hobbes, now you tell me. Next you'll be saying that I don't have to carry a dog on all escalators after all.

Comment

If I knew that my skin was sensitive to chemicals and such, I would do the allergy test.

I am one of those instruction-followers, but I like to think that I'm reasonable about it, and that there are valid reasons for doing a lot of what the manufacturer recommends. I know that part of it is to cover their own arses in the event someone is injured by their product and in this regard, they aren't so much saying that they really don't want you to get hurt; they're saying that they really don't want to be sued because they failed to warn about the dangers of their product (I work with these kinds of cases every day).

If the risk of injury is great enough for the manufacturer to feel the need (or be required by law to, in some cases) warn users of possible danger or adverse affect, then the possibility of it happening is enough to inspire caution in me when using that product. I never leave heat-producing electrical appliances (hair dryer, space heater, toaster, etc.) plugged in when not in use. The only exception to this would be a full size electric oven, which I don't have anyway. I also never mix chlorine-based cleaning products with ammonia-based ones, and so on and so forth.

I also follow the instructions on my medicine bottles, and even though I know that thousands of people drink while on anti-depressants and loads of people mix their drugs (prescription and or recreational) without really suffering any consequences (although some certainly do die or suffer brain damage), I just can't bring myself to disobey the warning stickers that are all over the bottle of pills. I'm too chicken. I figure that I will be the one in 100 who has the fatal adverse reaction. I don't want to die on the floor of my bathroom or drown in my own vomit.

People who don't have OCD are probably less bothered by these kinds of things, I'm guessing.

Comment

I always ignore the arrows at the tops of food packets and open the other end.

Comment

Pretty much every instruction I'm given, I ignore. It's not a wise choice really, but it makes me feel in control of shit for once.

Comment

mind, following instructions didn't get me very far either.

Comment

"Please drink responsibly"

Comment

Yeah, that's another one.

Me and Mrs Rhino were drinking Woodpeckers the other night and we read the side of the can, which told us she was only allowed 1.8 of them per night, whereas I was allowed a generous 3. Partay!

I thought of another one earlier but it's gone. (Possibly because I don't pay attention to what it says on the side of Woodpeckers cans.)

Comment

"Don't Leave Your Toaster Unattended".

I tried it for a week, but eventually sleeping in the kitchen proved too exhausting.

Comment

Oh yeah, that's it. I bought a Cookworks blender from Argos a couple of months ago, and the instruction booklet says "DO NOT USE WITH HOT LIQUIDS". Given that the main reason I bought the fucking thing was to blend home-made soups just before serving, I didn't have a lot of choice but to disobey that one.

Comment

The best one of these, surely, is the note on a packet of cotton bud sticks (is that what we call them? In the US they're known as Q-Tip swabs), on which it says "Do not insert into the ear". Which given that this is the main reason that anyone buys them is a bit peculiar.

Comment

The reason I can't do DIY very well is I always ignore everything it says to do on the packet. Wallpaper paste, for example. All the instructions are there, about exactly how much water to add, and when, and how long to stir it, and how long to let it stand, and yet every time I just chuck it in a bucket, stir it about with a stick, and wonder why it goes lumpier than porridge.

Comment

Do not use plugged in hairdryers and toasters in the bath. Who listens to that? If I want to groom myself and make breakfast while relaxing in a Shipmate Bubble bath, I'll do bloody as well as I feel.

Comment

Is there really a toaster whose manufacturer's instructions warn against using in the bath?

Comment

On packets of batteries;
                                            "Do not recharge"

Comment

There should be, Rogin. It's very dangerous making toast in the bath with you in it.

Comment

Aye. The crumbs stick to your body and they're a 'mare to shake off.

Comment

Working...
                                                X