Just how bad is it in the West Bank?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A message/question mostly for ad hoc, but also for anyone else who might know something of the situation in Palestine.

I have been offered a brief (2 week) assignment working with the Palestinian Authority. I haven't got details yet, but I assume this will happen entirely in Ramallah. It's not something I need to do for the money, but it would probably set me up for a good deal of future work in other places.

Basic question: how safe is it in the West Bank? Is this worth it?

It is worth it - not only because you get to see how fucking appallingly difficult life is for Palestinians. It's safe (the danger that is faced in the West Bank comes from the Israelis and aside from a brief spell of killing foreigners about 5 years ago, the negative publicity they get from such acts tends to dissuade them). But you (if you do go) really need to get out and about a bit and see more of the West Bank than just Ramallah. Try getting into Nablus, for example, or travelling the (as the crow flies) short distance up to Jenin. Go to Bethlehem and Hebron.

So, in answer to your question - it's safe and it's really worth it. Go.

The stuff I wrote while I was there is here: http://adhock.blogspot.com/ (you'll have to scroll down a few posts to find the stuff which I did when I was actually there, after I had an abortive attempt to resurrect that blog)

Comment

I've never been, but everything I've heard from people who have would lead me to jump at the chance if I were you.

Comment

It's great, I run package tours there and everything.

Comment

Put it this way: if I were you, I'd do it. But then I've always been a bit reckless.

Comment

You could ask that same question of any major city in the US and Latin America. You Canadians live such sheltered lives.

Comment

Working...
            X