The Panini Situation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Panini Situation

well my daughter has just turned 6 yrs old and this is my excuse to foster her increasing interest in football and give her some number and reading challenges. If she proves she can stick the stickers in straight - she can do that as well. I'm in.

Comment

The Panini Situation

Yes Vernon, pretty much the same situation with me. Just replace your 6 year old daughter with my 5 week old son and it's exactly the same, in fact.

"Bah - it's easy enough for you teachers who have a supply of kids to rip-off when it comes to swapsies.

Yes lad, that Leo Messi foil is worth about the same as this Leighton Baines standard sticker."

Sound advice CTT but sadly, it's all trading cards and Match Attax around here. And I already have Lionel Messi anyway.

I also have 3 England stickers and, spookily, they are the last three captains - Ferdinand, Terry and Beckham.

Comment

The Panini Situation

More info at FIFA.com here.

Comment

The Panini Situation

Just realised it's a virtual thing - sounds like a bag of bollocks to me.

Comment

The Panini Situation

Jesus, I actually dreamed last night that I received the 100 packets in the post. I guess that's what you'd call a sticky dream.

Comment

The Panini Situation

The Panini newsletter just dropped into my inbox. All the info is here, complete with sticker checklist on the left.

Jorge, I'd love to give it a go, but I think Panini are trying to tell me something with that cheesy video. Given the current global recession, I'm not sure I could justify the outlay to Mme DeChaussee either, unless DeChaussee Jr develops a sudden interest in football sticker albums at the expense of Smiley Cyrus. She does have a soft spot for CR9 though.

Nous verrons, as they say.

Comment

The Panini Situation

Got my - I mean, my nephew's - albums yesterday. He's been told he can have it on the condition that his stepdad is the one who puts the stickers in, and he has to bring it round for me to look at every Sunday.

Fuck Match Ataxx.

Comment

The Panini Situation

RayDeChaussee wrote:
                  More info at FIFA.com here.
                  Just realised it's a virtual thing - sounds like a bag of bollocks to me.
                  Well, I signed up for it. It's somewhat entertaining. You need to give your email to FIFA. I think you can get a group of "friends" together so you can trade extras, but the website won't load right now. Not a shining endorsement, I know...

Comment

The Panini Situation

A full 6 days until official sales start in Germany. Let's see on what day the newsagent's can't get stand the constant questioning and get the stuff from the stock room.

Comment

The Panini Situation

I ordered a box of 100 sticker packs - and an album. They sould be here by saturday... the excitement builds.

Need, need, got, need, jesus another Kuyt!, need, got.....

Comment

The Panini Situation

The stickers have arrived, but no album - I misread the ebay listing, so had to order separately. Can you people understand what I'm going through right now? 100 unopened packets of Panini stickers and nowhere to put them - it's like being in a brothel with a bone-on and discovering you left your wallet at home (I'm told). Anyway, I've contented myself with counting them and ordering them neatly in the cardboard box they sent along.

Also won bids on two of the five remaining stickers I still need to complete my Football 78 album. Anyone, erm, got any swaps from 32 years ago?

Comment

The Panini Situation

it's like being in a brothel with a bone-on and discovering you left your wallet at home (I'm told).
                          You mean you don't have a slate, imp?

I have quite a few swaps from Euro Football 77 if anyone's interested. I keep meaning to flog them on ebay but can't seem to get round to it

Comment

The Panini Situation

We received a copy of 'England 2010 - Official England World Cup Sticker Collection' with my son's Match of the Day magazine. It's by Topps Stickers but just didn't look right to me so I bought him (us) the Panini one. The Topps one has nowhere to write in the results as the games progress. A truly monumental design error.

For the stats fans among you we now have acquired 126 stickers with 12 duplicates. Ten per cent of disappointment - sort of like a Walnut Whip for me. However, I can get stickers that I need in return for my duplicates whereas, when I hand my wife the walnut she always says 'How can you not like walnuts, you freak.' So, all-in-all, the World Cup Panini experience is, for me, better than a Walnut Whip.

Comment

The Panini Situation

That's it, I'm getting the Panini album (and five packs of stickers).

I'm going to have me a fun old lunchtime.

Comment

The Panini Situation

RayDeC - I'm missing the following from Euro Football '77: 20, 22, 26, 29, 44, 46, 59, 60, 86, 88, 90, 109, 125, 175, 185, 199, 214, 257, 268, 286, 287. If you've any of those, name your price by PM.

I've got a real soft spot for this album - the first one I collected for, and then it got nudged out the market by Football 78 before I could complete it. I was always particularly dazzled by Salzburg's superb purple kit, since confined to history by the appalling Red Bull logo.

EDIT: dreadful confession - leafing through the album, I just realised that I doctored Kazimierz Deyna from the Argentina 78 album to make him fit in Euro 77. Had I no morals? Not sure what the number is (round about the 220s), but if you've got KD, I need to make historical amends before I can achieve closure.

Comment

The Panini Situation

imp, you've been PMd.

If anyone's got any spare Germany 74, Argentina 78 or Spain 82 stickers, I'm in the market for swapsies.

Comment

The Panini Situation

OK I'm in on this thread now - my lovely wife got me the album and a load of stickers yesterday as part of my birthday present.

Comment

The Panini Situation

Stickers arrived at the office today - mucho excitement. The box of sticker packs is produced in Bolivia... you the same imp ?
                                      The album has space for 630+ stickers and the box has 500 stickers in all... so there will be need for swapsies. And additional packets methinks.

Comment

The Panini Situation

Does anybody know if they sell the Panini stickers and album in the U.S.?

I thought, er, my daughter might enjoy collecting them and learning about the players she'll see during the games.

Comment

The Panini Situation

daughter
                                          uh-huh

Comment

The Panini Situation

There's never been any kind of wide distribution of football stickers in the US, and it doesn't look like this year will be any different. They aren't even mentioned on Panini's US website, ffs.

Which is why US-based posters like imp and Vernons have resorted to Ebay.

Comment

The Panini Situation

Kurt Mondschein wrote:
                                              daughter
                                              uh-huh
                                              Oh yes, she's very keen on football.

(I would, of course, make sure the stickers were placed in the album in their proper places, very neatly, and keep it all safe in my office so she doesn't lose it, or tear it, or spill orange juice on it.)

Comment

The Panini Situation

ursus arctos wrote:
                                                There's never been any kind of wide distribution of football stickers in the US, and it doesn't look like this year will be any different. They aren't even mentioned on Panini's US website, ffs.

Which is why US-based posters like imp and Vernons have resorted to Ebay.
                                                I looked into it in 2006, and couldn't find the sticker albums anywhere but on Ebay, and decided not to buy them. It's not quite the same, and part of the fun of things like this is trading them with other people to try to complete your set.

I was hoping that maybe football's somewhat increased popularity in the U.S. since then would change minds at the Panini brain trust. (ESPN is apparently going all out in their Cup coverage.) Panini already distributes cards for American sports here, so it can't be a distribution problem. I wonder if it's a rights issue (though I don't know what it would be). Maybe I'll check at a sports card or comics store and see if I can convince them to import some.

Comment

The Panini Situation

My thoughts exactly, and I'm similarly surprised that they aren't trying a bit harder this time around. There is a searchable list of stores that carry their other products on the website I linked above, and I'd be interested to hear how you get on.

The trading on here has been quite successful in the past, should you manage to get a supply.

Comment

The Panini Situation

Thanks, UA. There is a store on their list not far from my house. I'll swing by this weekend and see what I can learn.

A quick look on the Internet suggests that there are many people in the U.S. who would buy these sticker albums if they could.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X