The Panini Situation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Panini Situation

According to web sources the World Cup album is going to be published on April 10th. So far so good. What concerns me is that all I can find on the Panini page is advertisement for their World Cup trading cards, not for the stickers. Who can help me find my relief?

Thanks in advance.

The Panini Situation

I thought this was going to be about toasted sandwiches.

Comment

The Panini Situation

This piece on the home page doesn't inspire hope.

Comment

The Panini Situation

This is a shock. I won't give up hope yet seeing that there are several traders offering stickers (not trading cards) and the album online. But hope is slim.

Comment

The Panini Situation

Comment by Admin2 18-03-2010 12:04 [Offensive? Unsuitable?
          Report this comment
          ]

UPDATE. Panini have been in touch to reassure us that a regular World Cup 2010 sticker album will be out in the UK very soon.

Comment

The Panini Situation

This at least confirms that Panini has the license for stickers.

They do seem to have seriously bungled the information flow here, though.

Comment

The Panini Situation

This looks reasonably genuine:

I've now seen rumoured release dates from March 15th (didn't happen) to April 10th.

Comment

The Panini Situation

The best thing about sticker albums is seeing who are the players who didn't make it and who were the obvious ones who got left out. I bet Theo Walcott wasn't in the England set last WC ?

I remember Ian Storey-Moore (just 'cos there was early talk of Man Utd signing him) and Henry Newton being in the WC70 album and us 12 yr olds knew they weren't going. And much to our dismay Alf picked Osgood (not in the book) ahead of Peter Thompson (in the book) when he already had Astle, Clarke and Hurst at centre forwards. Although I guess Clarke may have counted as an inside forward. I look forward to starting the set with my daughter :-)..

And there are WC2010 Trading cards (my preference) available also - lots of links - here's one.

http://www.soccercards.com/acatalog/Soccer_Trading_Cards.html

Comment

The Panini Situation

My WC90 collection had John Anderson in the Irish squad, despite the fact that Anderson hadn't played a competitive game since the WC86 qualifiers. He had been an unused squad member at Euro88 so I assume Panini were just operating off that list, but it was strange nonetheless as up to that point in the four years of Charlton's reign, Anderson had won just one cap - in a friendly against Tunisia in September 1988.

If I recall correctly, Toto Schillaci wasn't in the Panini's Italian squad for WC90.

Comment

The Panini Situation

I'm pretty sure that is right about Toto, and that his sticker was made available to Italian collectors as an extra insert with the sports papers.

Comment

The Panini Situation

So are we going to have a OTF competition to see who can complete the album first? We can all use Sons/Daughters/Nephews/Nieces as spurious excuses for doing such a thing as grown men.

Comment

The Panini Situation

Woulnd't be fair, I assume. I work as a teacher and can confiscate what I want.

Comment

The Panini Situation

George: Hofmeister bear wrote:
                          So are we going to have a OTF competition to see who can complete the album first? We can all use Sons/Daughters/Nephews/Nieces as spurious excuses for doing such a thing as grown men.
                          Stickers or trading cards ? UK set or ROW/US set - the US set is bigger than the sets in the UK ?

You can alreay buy complete UK trading card sets on ebay for less than 20 quid.

Comment

The Panini Situation

So when's this sticker album out then? Was going to go down the trading cards route until I found that they aren't doing all of the teams. Rubbish.

Comment

The Panini Situation

After a bit of googling it appears it came out in the UK yesterday. Will be heading to WHSmith tomorrow.

Comment

The Panini Situation

Jon wrote:
                                After a bit of googling it appears it came out in the UK yesterday. Will be heading to WHSmith tomorrow.
                                Bah - it's easy enough for you teachers who have a supply of kids to rip-off when it comes to swapsies.

Yes lad, that Leo Messi foil is worth about the same as this Leighton Baines standard sticker.

Comment

The Panini Situation

I have my album, I'm assuming that the regular sticker collectors will be letting us know of their swaps list soon - Ursus, RayDeChaussee, mnb098mnb, cubillas ... I'm looking at you guys.

Comment

The Panini Situation

Jorge, I'm afraid that we are out of the game this year. It's too difficult to get supply in the US.

Comment

The Panini Situation

... we can always send you a box or two!

Comment

The Panini Situation

When did Panini reduce the number of stickers per pack to five? You always got six when I collected them as a lad.

Comment

The Panini Situation

I'm in.

Comment

The Panini Situation

I'm in too. And since when did ursus go back to the States?

Comment

The Panini Situation

I will turn 45 this summer, and I have this unbelievably intense desire to buy a Panini album and fill it with stickers, even though I haven't done that since 1978. I suppose it's better than running off with a woman half my age.

You lucky bastards. I won't be in the UK until the last two weeks of the tournament, and that's just way too late to start collecting stickers of teams that have already been knocked out.

Comment

The Panini Situation

imp and Ursus - US retailers will have the stickers in stock by the end of April... and you can already get them on ebayUSA from US stockists, about $55-$60 a box of 100 packs (which is v reasonable) and $2 for an empty sticker album. Plus postage(s) of course.

Current ebay auction for stickers

Comment

The Panini Situation

VP, I love you. Just transferred PayPal funds to stock up the $40 I'd forgotten I had in my account, then I will launch my bid.

Now all I have to do is endure the guffaws of contempt from the three sensible female members of my family as they watch me sitting at the dining room table peeling the backs off 500 stickers.

Either I need treatment, or this is the treatment.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X