Okay then, most pleased-with-himself bassist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has to be Mick Karn. I mean, I love Japan, but their DVD cracks me up: has their ever been a band of people so caught up in their own, individual excellence while occupying the same space?

On Second That Emotion, he demonstrates not only that he can out-slap a rampant Tibbs, but also that he can emote on that sweet, sweet sax like Andy Mackay - and out-do his enormous proto-mullet while he's at it. Excellent! You'll never be able to do "More Than This", Ferry! And check out his excellently pink arse, which the director was kind enough to include in a lingering mirror shot.

There's a pretty special moment two minutes in, when Karn - also an accomplished sculptor - and Sylvian - often referred to as "The Most Excellent Man On The Planet" by Chris Roberts - seem almost ready to acknowledge one another, but instead pass like conspicuously excellent ships in the night.

Smug shit-eating grin bassist - Alex Blur

Comment

Surely it has to be Nick Beggs from Kajagoogoo? That annoying perma-grin of his surely set the tone for Alex Bleeuuuurrrgghh. Plus, was it true about Beggs actually teaching Mark King how to play slap bass? True or not, he deserved a huge slap of his own - and not on his back.

Comment

Gene Simmons.

He even has his own reality show. How much more evidence of self-satisfaction do you need?

Comment

How can the answer to this not be Sting? I mean, he's a bassist, and I doubt there's ever been anyone on the planet more pleased with himself that OTF's favorite cunt.

Comment

The reason it might not be Sting is because Paul McCartney exists.

Comment

Reed's right or course.

Comment

I wish I had had the job of throwing that camel-shit at him.

You can see guys speaking in Tuareg now "No, of course it is only mud, Mr Sting, just stand still"

Comment

So that's where the name of the VW SUV came from.

Comment

I think the VW Cunt must be a US only edition.

Comment

Does Colin Zeal play the bass?

Comment

Back when we were a proper rock band, our bassist would get horribly smug during soundcheck. He used to fingertap the Moonlight Sonata. How we laughed when the soundman told him to "stop fucking around, and if you play that during the gig I'll turn you right down".

However, we soon found where he got it from when he showed us one of his Jaco Pastorious solo DVDs. Horrible, horrible stuff- but quite tragic given that his smugness was soon replaced with a hideous slide into mental illness, alcohol and drug abuse and culminated in his death after a fight with a nightclub bouncer.

Comment

Working...
                        X