Adam Ant gigs ..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adam Ant gigs ..

Spizz puts on a great show anyway.. And don't expect too much from Adam.

There's another gig scheduked for end of month but that's a long way off.

Comment

Adam Ant gigs ..

Saw Adam onstage with The Glitter Band last night, doing "Antmusic" and "Leader Of The Gang" (the latter with Spizz bloke on co-lead vocals). Amazing moment.

He looked great and a bit nuts at the same time, but that's all well and good, cos he always was, eh? He wore a top hat with what looked like a postcard of Sean Connery tucked into the hatband, an 'ELVIS' belt buckle, long feathery earrings, a little eyeliner X on his temple (like the old days), and TWO pairs of trousers (pinstriped over leather). Photos to appear in a few hours when I've got them together off my phone, Mrs Rhino's phone and her camera.

I gather he came back on later and did a mini-Ants set with members of Rachel Stamp which I'm gutted about missing.

Angie Bowie was embarrassing, though. Imagine Margi Clarke pissed at a wedding.

You know what the best thing of all was, though? Even better than Adam? The Glitter Band. Man, they were amazing. Two drummers (including the original, Pete Phipps, who was later recruited by Denim), the coolest guitar sound in the world, and song after song that makes you punch the air and shout "HEY!".

And a front three who look like 1. James May, 2. the angry wrestling coach who made Louis Theroux puke, and 3. a chubby Paul Morley.

They started with "Rock'n'Roll Part 2", which is more or less an instrumental thus untainted by paedophilia, a slight slump while Bowie did her turn, then proceeded to play their own Gary-free hits until they'd completely won the moral right to venture into Leader territory. Which takes a lot of balls in the current climate, but it was exhilarating and liberating to be able to scream your throat raw to "I Love You Love Me Love", "I Didn't Know I Loved You Till I Saw You Rock'N'Roll" (as brilliantly borrowed by Peaches on "Boys Wanna Be Her") and "Do You Wanna Touch Me?", before wrapping up with their own "Angel Face", "Let's Get Together Again" and the Ant cameo.

Everyone was willing them on. That Luke Haines lyric kept going through my mind: "Goodbye My Love/It's a hell of a record/They did it by themselves/The Leader was not present/Gary Glitter is a bad, bad man/Ruining the reputation of The Glitter Band..."

It occurred to me that Marilyn Manson really ought to have been there to witness the Adam moment. The two artists he's ripped off more than anyone else, together on a stage.

I'd actually go out of my way to see them again, regardless of guest stars.

Comment

Adam Ant gigs ..

Brother John Robb agrees with you.

Comment

Adam Ant gigs ..

Carcass wrote:
          Really interesting piece, but it seems JR has caught up with a splinter group, who trade as John Rossall's Glitter Band Feat. Harvey Ellison according to Wikipedia, not the actual Glitter Band I saw last night (who have the original singer John Springate and drummer Pete Phipps).

Comment

Adam Ant gigs ..

Ah right. Now that I think about it, we got threatened with legal action over this piece by some one who was... slightly mentally diverse... I sorted this out via John and Heidi Heelz, so I kind of had to take their word for it. I can't believe we interviewed the wrong Glitter Band.

Comment

Adam Ant gigs ..

There's a sentence you never thought you'd type.

Comment

Adam Ant gigs ..

Next thing you'll be telling me that those transexual rockers I interviewed last week AC/She He aren't the real deal...

Comment

Adam Ant gigs ..

Well, there's the band sorted out for the next Stay Beautiful.

Comment

Adam Ant gigs ..

I'm glad it went well, sounds like you had great fun all round.

Angie Bowie .... hmm, yes.
                    [/zip]

Comment

Adam Ant gigs ..

Antmusic

Comment

Adam Ant gigs ..

Jeez, he looks good. Seems to be having a good time, too.

Comment

Adam Ant gigs ..

Adam's first 'public' gig. I'll be there like my name was The Jackson Five.

Comment

Adam Ant gigs ..

Then my work here is done ...

Comment

Adam Ant gigs ..

I see SR beat me to it, but still...

-

Comment

Adam Ant gigs ..

Spearmint Rhino wrote:
                                Adam's first 'public' gig. I'll be there like my name was The Jackson Five.
                                Well, the first announced but not really the first now, there are dates this weekend in the provinces.

Oh, and he's just been on stage with Gary Numan.

Comment

Adam Ant gigs ..

MsD wrote:
                                  Really? Where?

I'm not that much of a fanboy - of either artiste - but this one's a bit of a surprise. I didn't know they 'had a history'. I'm surprised the universe didn't locally collapse into a singularity, what with so much star power concentrated in one place!

Comment

Adam Ant gigs ..

evilC wrote:
                                    MsD wrote:
                                    I didn't know they 'had a history'.
                                    Nor did Gary ... joke.

They do know each other.

Comment

Adam Ant gigs ..

Not quite a gig, but Adam Ant will be DJing (for the very first time) at Family Affair this Saturday night.

Comment

Adam Ant gigs ..

I was doubtful he'd turn up, after the no-shows last weekend, but I think he will now, after talking to him at Malcolm's funeral yesterday, he seems up to it, and up for it.

But even if he doesn't, Princess Julia is a great DJ, it will be fun.

Comment

Adam Ant gigs ..

I'm just happy the see Adam not looking like an 80-year-old.

edit - Or Andrei Chikatalo.

Comment

Adam Ant gigs ..

He's one of nature's beauties, but I'd rather see him looking as he did last year, which means seeking treatment, to some extent .. it's a difficult one. I hope next week is OK.

Comment

Adam Ant gigs ..

To balance that awful picture, here he is at the Q awards last year, lucid, sharp, looking cool and dapper.

Comment

I last posted to this thread seven years ago! How things have changed. He really is at the top of his game now and the band are terrific.

Remaining dates on the current US tour

Tuesday, September 19 - Baltimore, MD, Baltimore Sound Stage

Wednesday, September 20 - Richmond, VA, The National

Friday, September 22 - Charlotte, NC, Fillmore

Saturday, September 23 - Atlanta, GA, Variety Playhouse

Sunday, September 24 - Nashville, TN, War Memorial Auditorium

Tuesday, September 26 - Denver, CO, Paramount Theatre

Thursday, September 29 - San Francisco, CA, The Masonic

Saturday, September 30 - Los Angeles, CA, Greek Theatre

The Roundhouse gig in December is SOLD OUT but if anyone wants to go I may be able to help you find a ticket nearer the time.

Comment

photobucket doesn't work.

Comment

The new/rescheduled dates for 2018:

http://www.adam-ant.net/whatsnew.html#anthems2018

Comment

Working...
                                                    X