Adam Ant gigs ..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adam Ant gigs ..

Adam played a mini gig last night and is playing another tomorrow at Southwark Playhouse for them that's interested. Actually more of a club night (the regular Shore Leave) with an appearance by Mr Ant.

Adam has announced a short, intimate set of a few songs as part of the pirate-theme Shore Leave one-off special, featuring "Love-sick sailor boys and girls wring[ing] the last drop of rum from their remaining hours on dry land with bawdy bands and debauched burlesque, while DJs McKraken and DeMorgan spin swing, blues, gypsy-punk, Weimar jazz and cabaret trash and old time records from far flung ports, and a tatt-shack (natch)".

£6 at TicketWeb.

Cue lots of people being nasty about Adam ... but I'm not posting it for you, just as a heads up for those who do have some affection for the man and/or his and/or his/Marco's music (if not all of it - I love KOTWF, Dirk and a few other things). His last "intimate" gig was great.

Last night he performed Car Trouble, Ant Invasion, Physical and a cover of The Passenger.

Adam Ant gigs ..

Thanks for the tip... I think you'll find a lot of people on here who find his treatment at the hands of the press pretty horrible.

Adam Ant was the first person to turn me on to pop music. I'll probably never feel again about another record the way I felt about Kings Of The Wild Frontier.

Here's hoping for a continued convalescence.

Comment

Adam Ant gigs ..

I do have misgivings about his health, but hope he can balance creative work with moderating the illness ..

On the subject of Kings, Kevin Mooney (the bass player on that album/tour) recently suffered a heart attack but is recovering.

Comment

Adam Ant gigs ..

Have you ever seen the band The New Royal Family? A guy that I vaguely know who wrote the Suede book plays bass for them I think.

Comment

Adam Ant gigs ..

Um, aren't they a novelty band? I did see a video on YouTube where they've packed in lots of homages/visual references but I had to watch it with the sound down.

Comment

Adam Ant gigs ..

MsD wrote:

Cue lots of people being nasty about Adam ...
            Er, why?

Comment

Adam Ant gigs ..

Bloody hell, I completely echo Carcass' comments. I loved KOTW and his greatest hits album is a I-pod fixture (I was never that fussed about his pre-KOTW stuff). He was the perfect male pop star , well, after Elvis

I remember seeing him at the Town and Country Club in the 90s and was as thrilled as I was seeing Debbie Harry around the same time.

It was sad to hear about his mental problems especially after finding out a bit more about from a long-time friend of his. I can't believe anyone would scorn him in his position.

I know that he has done a few of these low-key gigs and, though I would love to see him back to performing, I always worry that maybe being in the public eye in his condition isn't the greatest thing for him.

Having said that, hopefully he is feeling recovered and strong enough to do this.

Comment

Adam Ant gigs ..

Harry Truscott wrote:
                MsD wrote:
                Cue lots of people being nasty about Adam ...
                Er, why?
                MsD is Ian Cusack and I claim my five pounds...

Comment

Adam Ant gigs ..

When I posted about Siobhan's gigs I got a load of sneering, same with The Wolfmen; WOM has a dig at whatever I write etc. and you two, likewise, have a pop.

So it wouldn't necessarily be at Adam, but I did anticipate some tiresome comments.

Comment

Adam Ant gigs ..

MsD, they started as a high concept project which was more post enjoyable than post modern but they've reconnected with the whole entertaining people deal.

Basically the initial idea was for the band to play songs that Andy Barding wrote when he was 14. But now they play a lot of Adam and the Ants tribute nights so I guess they must do a lot of Ant covers.

Comment

Adam Ant gigs ..

Well, as with all tribute/covers bands, whatever makes them and other people happy! And there is definitely a market for all that.

Comment

Adam Ant gigs ..

Ahhh fuck's sake, why did no-one tell me about this? I know the guy who's been writing new material with Adam (Chris McCormack out of Three Colours Red/Gary Numan's band/etc) and we had a long chat about how exciting it was that Adam was coming back... then he doesn't even tell me! Grrr. I DEMAND TO KNOW ABOUT ALL FUTURE ADAM ANT SHOWS.

The New Royal Family are a novelty band led by my old mate David Barnett (Suede biographer), also involving another of my mates Rob Britton (Luxembourg), and various other people I know, especially in the videos (eg Dickon out of Orlando/Fosca). They're not an Ants tribute band at all. They do songs about chocolate digestives. I'm saying nothing.

Comment

Adam Ant gigs ..

I was going to message you on MySpace, will in future, but NO ONE knew about last night until it was happening, and about tomorrow until today. Marco's in more than daily contact and he didn't know about it.

Adam is being rather, er, spontaneous at the moment.

Comment

Adam Ant gigs ..

Spearmint Rhino wrote:
                            They do songs about chocolate digestives. I'm saying nothing.
                            Can't complain, feeling festive
                            Have another chocolate digestive

Comment

Adam Ant gigs ..

MsD wrote:
                              When I posted about Siobhan's gigs I got a load of sneering, same with The Wolfmen; WOM has a dig at whatever I write etc. and you two, likewise, have a pop.

So it wouldn't necessarily be at Adam, but I did anticipate some tiresome comments.
                              I doubt anyone's comments about an artist are inspired simply by the fact that you bring them up.

Siobhan (Fahey I presume?) might provoke some sneering because of her work and I don't know who The Wolfmen actually are but this is Adam Fucking Ant for crying out loud. I can't imagine many other people who could unite so many various OTF music factions.

Comment

Adam Ant gigs ..

Bored of Education wrote:
                                Bloody hell, I completely echo Carcass' comments. I loved KOTW and his greatest hits album is a I-pod fixture (I was never that fussed about his pre-KOTW stuff).
                                Kings Of The Wild...?

Or am I being dim?

Comment

Adam Ant gigs ..

You've stuck your oar into several threads for no other reason than to point out how terribly irksome you find me, I was just trying to preempt having to interact with people less interested in the topic than in having a pop.

Siobhan's done some pretty good work; Bananarama were a good pop band, Shakespear's Sister's Stay was one of the biggest selling UK singles ever and it's a gorgeous pop song, I think. Some of her other work is quite interesting.
                                  As for the Wolfmen, they're Marco's band, currently working with Sinead O'Connor and about to work with someone much bigger.

Marco's been doing some work with Adam but really has his hands full at the moment. Still, the fact that they're chums again is cause for celebration.

Comment

Adam Ant gigs ..

I don't 'have a pop' at 'whatever' you write but I am going to have a pop at that. Stop having such designs on yourself, will you? Like everyone else, if you write something stupid that bothers me, I have a pop, if not, I don't.

I seem to remember having benign conversations about the speed limit on canal paths and a mutual friend of mine and, I thought, Marco Pirroni's.

I have never read on here about Siobhan Fahey and I have no view on The Wolfmen but, obviously, hold Marco Pirroni in great regard because of the Ants.

I seem to remember that whoever it was that took the piss out of the Wolfmen did so because one of them was wearing a silly hat, nothing to do with you

Comment

Adam Ant gigs ..

Bored of Education wrote:
                                      I don't 'have a pop' at 'whatever' you write but I am going to have a pop at that. Stop having such designs on yourself, will you? Like everyone else, if you write something stupid that bothers me, I have a pop, if not, I don't.
                                      haha

I often think you write stupid things, but don't feel the need to constantly point this out, strangely.

Comment

Adam Ant gigs ..

Hence the "that bothers me". The last thing I want to do is give you the oxygen of publicity which is what I am doing here so I am off

Comment

Adam Ant gigs ..

Thank fuck for that, one less annoying whining noise in the background.

Comment

Adam Ant gigs ..

Jeez, you really are a vile, self-obsessed old cunt.

Comment

Adam Ant gigs ..

Harry Truscott wrote:
                                              Jeez, you really are a vile, self-obsessed old cunt.
                                              Ha, again. I've commented on your behaviour, but you've made a point of posting personal abuse, based on what?

You don't know me, I've done nothing to you, I don't even take much notice of you on here, just find you annoying, like a mosquito.

Anyway, so much for trying to share information on here, next time I'll just email or message the two or three people I expect to be interested. Happy now?

Comment

Adam Ant gigs ..

If you really didn't take any notice of people's comments about you then you wouldn't constantly reference them and then kid yourself that opinions on an act have to be viewed through the prism of the fact that you have brought them up.

You came to this board because you've got a google alert set up in yourself for christ's sake! I'll maybe make a comment once or twice a year about how fucking appalling you are but then remember that you love the attention. See you around September I suppose.

Comment

Adam Ant gigs ..

I'm pretty fucking appalled at the way people keep on jumping on MsD to be honest.

Given that she turned up here in a flurry to have a pop at me originally and I've managed to bury the hatchet (this is not an opening for another jibe), can you lot not just grow up.

That comment above is fucking unacceptable.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X