Signs of the apocalypse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Signs of the apocalypse

At the Girls Aloud gig in Brighton last night, desperately unfunny toothy limp-wristed "ooh, I'm a poof, isn't that hilarious?" television personality Alan Carr was mobbed. I mean, mobbed so massively, with so much screaming and grabbing and photo-taking, that security had to step in and whisk him away to (presumably) one of the corporate boxes. What is happening to the world?

Signs of the apocalypse

Probably more to do with the sort of crowd you get at a Girls Aloud gig, innit?

I saw Alan Carr stroll down Crouch End Broadway a few Saturdays back, and no one batted an eyelid.

Comment

Signs of the apocalypse

Isn't there something in the Book of Revelations about the foul whore wearing ten crowns? If that isn't a clear reference to Manchester United's latest Premiership victory, I don't know what is.

Comment

Signs of the apocalypse

Well, I sit near a Manchester United fan whose decibel-bombarding voice cheerily bangs on about the fuckers all day long. But then that's not the sign of an apocalypse - it's merely the wish that it did happen so the bleeder could shut the fuck up.

Comment

Signs of the apocalypse

Have to say, I saw Alan Carr a couple of years ago in Dublin - he was pretty much unknown at the time - and he was brilliant; it was a tears-in-the-eyes, stomach-sore-from-laughing experience.

I saw him recently on Friday Night Project and evidently he is now, not to put too fine a point on it, shite.

Has my taste in comedy changed? Has he significantly disimproved? Or is he just a one-trick pony who outstayed his welcome?

Comment

Signs of the apocalypse

Or is he, as many people have suggested, a good stand up comedian who presents an atrocious TV programme for the money.

Comment

Signs of the apocalypse

I think that might be true.

For ages I thought SR's description above of 'desperately unfunny toothy limp-wristed "ooh, I'm a poof, isn't that hilarious?" television personality' was pretty much all there was to say about him. He irritated me profoundly every time I saw him or heard him on the radio.

However, I caught a bit of him doing stand up a couple of months ago and he was actually pretty funny - far funnier than I'd have thought possible from what I'd seen on TV anyway.

Comment

Signs of the apocalypse

Portsmouth win the FA Cup. Last tmie, this presaged a terriible world conflict that lasted seven years and ended only in the nuclear holocaust of two cities.

Comment

Signs of the apocalypse

There seems to be a mist on the sea around Llandudno on hot days now, this didn't happen before.

This can only mean one thing; real life is mirroring art.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0054790/plotsummary

Comment

Working...
                  X