The Potential Loss of BBC 6 Music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
    Do BBC DJs still do their own programming?

Commercial radio here has become almost entirely driven by algorithms.
    Yes and no. I don't know about 6 Music, but someone took me through the Radio 2 music policy last year as background research for a play I haven't yet got round to writing and have to some extent gone off altogether.

In truncated, paraphrased and half-remembered form - there is a computer that tells you what records off the "A list" (determined weekly by panel of producers) you should be playing in any given half hour, and you can drop one or two for tracks of the DJ's choice, but those choices have to come from the other currently approved playlists. Drop any more A-list tracks than that and you get in trouble (which in time honoured BBC tradition means a passive aggressive meeting).

Comment

The playlist is there for a reason, so I have little issue with that being adhered-to as long as it's regularly updated - which seems to be the case.

Just. Need. To. Overhaul. The. Oldies. Playlist.

Comment

Originally posted by Mumpo View Post
        The average age of the 6Music DJs is 52.
        Is the audience much younger? It's Radio 2 for 1977-1997 postpunk/Indie veterans (and maybe a few Bowiephiles and proggers).

"If you liked that Buzzcocks classic, you might like this new one from [postpunk imitators du jour]"
        Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 14-08-2018, 09:24.

Comment

So is much of Radio 2 itself, mind. Only without equal quantities of less-good imitators du jour in between.

Comment

Ye Nuns are on Marc Riley's show now.

Comment

Maconie's Trojan special was dire. Just phoning it in.

Comment

Mark Radcliffe will be absent for the forseeable future - best wishes to him.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-45741230

Comment

Yes, that's awful news. Thankfully the cancer has been spotted early so he's optimistic he'll be back by January, just in time for the new weekend slot.

Today's show will be weird. Maybe let him play what he wants?

Comment

Unsurprisingly, he's made reference to it being his last show for a while and it was briefly discussed but he's downplaying it all.

Comment

Sad news. I've taken to sometimes streaming 6 Music when I go running, and the Radcliffe and Maconie show is great for that (as soon as it switches to Lamacq my pace and mood drops).

Comment

Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery.

The news served to remind me of the sheer amount of time one spends over the years with long running radio broadcasters. I can grumble with the best of them about Radcliffe sometimes coasting and the vagaries of the 6 Music playlist but he has been talking into my ear for more than twenty five years now.

Comment

I was possibly one of the few listeners who used to love Mark and Lard on the Radio One breakfast show. I've still got the Shirehorses album on cassette.
                          Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 04-10-2018, 16:29.

Comment

Their radio programme has been my constant companion since they got together at Radio 2. I have never heard Mark and Lard as Radio 1 has been off my radar for 30 years plus. Went to see him with Noddy Holder and a great night was had by all. He always gives me the impression he is not one to blow smoke up his own backside. Reading through the thread many good points are made about 6 Music but I will genuinely miss them plus he introduced me to some great reggae.

Comment

I think he is better without Maconie.

Comment

I have a great deal of love for Mark Radcliffe. Get well soon, and get back to talking nonsense on t' radio.

Comment

I've not heard Marquee Moon by Television on 6music since Monday evening. You ok hun?

Comment

Dub Be Good to Me was the moment that made me dive, cursing, for the remote control this morning. Just...why?

Comment

The Saturday evening funk and soul show with Craig Charles isn’t the worst at all. Funkadelic, Gil Scott Heron, can’t be bad. He does talk over the records far too much but. And the Tom Robinson show after is a bit pony.
                                      Last edited by Lang Spoon; 10-10-2018, 23:48.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                        Dub Be Good to Me was the moment that made me dive, cursing, for the remote control this morning. Just...why?
                                        A mix of that works great guns in a DJ Krush compilation I’ve still got somewhere in my cd crate. But yeah, I’d generally be happy never to hear any Norman Cook joint ever again.
                                        Last edited by Lang Spoon; 10-10-2018, 23:58.

Comment

Originally posted by KGR View Post
                                          I've not heard Marquee Moon by Television on 6music since Monday evening. You ok hun?
                                          Whoa. I just read this page, moved on to another thread, and Marquee Moon came on.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                                            A mix of that works great guns in a DJ Krush compilation I’ve still got somewhere in my cd crate. But yeah, I’d generally be happy never to hear any Norman Cook joint ever again.
                                            It's not so much the track - which is okay-ish - more the fact that 6 continue to play these bloody things to death... (See also: Buffalo Stance, I Feel Love, Back to Life, Uptown Top Ranking, Land of 1,000 Dances, some Lauryn Hill cobblers, etc, etc. As previously moaned about upthread.)

Comment

“some Lauryn Hill cobblers”?

Comment

It's an image to conjure with, I'll concede.

I've never understood the fascination with either The Fugees (bunch of overdone, second-rate covers with 'one time' repeatedly muttered over the top) or that Lauryn Hill Miseducation... album that everybody seemed to get so excited by a couple of decades back. Okay, it wasn't the absolute worst musically, but the lyrics were so vacuous ('That Thing', 'Everything is Everything', etc) as to irritate in the extreme. And if she was so great, why didn't she make another record? Answer me that.

The point here, however, is that 6Music keep bloody playing it.

Which is a little annoying, to say the least.

Comment

And if she was so great, why didn't she make another record? Answer me that.
                                                  She mentally went off the rails a little it seemed and then came under the influence of some ''Spiritual Advisor''. The quality of her time keeping and performances on stage became erratic as well.

Your assessment of the Fugees and Hill is pretty much on the money in my eyes.
                                                  Last edited by George; 11-10-2018, 13:07.

Comment

Fair enough, to the former - I (clearly) don't know much about her, tbh.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X