The Potential Loss of BBC 6 Music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
    The oldies must be programmed as thoughtfully as the actual (current music) playlist - all designed to form the image and sound of the station. There's no way that these tracks are popping up at random, the library must be tiered in a way to ensure that certain tracks get played more than others and - for example - the Stone Roses get a certain number of plays a week. It is the ultimate mixtape / ipod playlist of someone's idea of cool, and Lamacq is the uncle who has commandeered the hifi at a family party, plugged his ipod in through the aux, and is sitting in the corner nodding sagely as he "drops" Eton Rifles again.

Yet again I'll say it's a lot better than anything else in the mainstream media, and far ahead of the commercial alternative rock stations in America, which are incredibly tightly controlled and risk averse, but god it needs a shake.
    The one great thing about the American media landscape is its underfunded public radio system autonomously run by fundraising hippy volunteers.

European public radio has too much money and is filled with careerist arseholes. I mean, which one of us wouldn't love to fill in for an hour twice a month on our local public radio and play our favourite tunes? But in Europe we can't.
    Last edited by anton pulisov; 11-01-2018, 00:14.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
      The I Feel Love thing is baffling. Surely someone at 6 must have noticed and thought, "this makes us look silly but could easily be fixed."

Unless it is some kind of weird psy-ops attack targeted at OTF and the population at large get a different, largely IFL-free broadcast.
      (Returning...) After something of a break (on my part), I've now heard I Feel Love twice more on 6 this week - including just now on Stuart Maconie's programme.

However, the latest 'overplayed oldie' on the station seems, for whatever reason, to be Southern Freeez by Freeez. I think I've heard that randomly five or six times this year alone.

Comment

The bastards, really. That’s one of the greatest songs evah but how much Summer can you take? Neneh Cherry though, totally baffling. Like those two songs are singlehandledly making their BME plays look respectable.

Comment

I'd take I.O.U. on rotation over Southern Freeez.

Comment

I just feel a bit embarrassed for them, really - like nobody there knows much MOBO, so they just keep reverting to the same tunes (as Lang suggests). The same applies to the sixties choices as well, which repeat like a bad dose of ructus. Anyway, I guess I've made this point.

Comment

No reason at all now for me to listen to R6 with Radcliffe and Maconie’s weekday afternoon show being shunted to a weekend breakfast one in their latest reshuffle. I wish Robert Elms would move back to an afternoon slot on Radio London.
              Last edited by Ray de Galles; 11-08-2018, 08:03.

Comment

Are Radcliffe and Maconie going to stick around for a 7am Sat/Sun slot? Must be better offers elsewhere.

Comment

Lauren Laverne (or her representative) has played an absolute blinder by managing to negotiate a half seven start for her new programme - that's ridiculously late for a breakfast show to begin. I know Terry Wogan used to start at that time but he was, you know, Wogan and it was notable that as soon as he retired the BBC shifted it back to seven (and subsequently half six when Sarah Kennedy fucked off a year later).

I get that they want another female presenter in the day but they've replaced a duo aged 60 and 57 with a 54 year old. Hardly a revolution is it?

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                    Are Radcliffe and Maconie going to stick around for a 7am Sat/Sun slot? Must be better offers elsewhere.
                    Sadly, I’m not entirely sure there would be.

Their quotes in the press release about the reshuffle don’t point to them caring that much (Maconie’s especially), I wonder if they are just going to run down a contract (if DJs at their level get one) :

Mark Radcliffe says: “With kids at university to support, I'm still going to be gainfully employed on Weekend Breakfast which means I stay at 6 Music, a station I love, and continue what's been a really creative partnership with Stuart. Last time I did a breakfast show it was little short of disastrous and so this time I'm looking forward to making a better fist of it. What could possibly go wrong?”

Stuart Maconie says: “Ever since humanity first emerged from the primeval swamp and looked questioningly and fearfully towards the stars, a restless desire for change has been part of our DNA, and the scheduling of BBC radio programmes is no exception. I see the move of Radcliffe and Maconie to weekend mornings as part of the ceaseless turbine of progress that drives us all, somewhere between Elon Musk’s tiny submarines and landing on the moon. I am looking forward to it immensely.”

Comment

Remarkably, Steve Lamacq slot survives untouched - what hold does that man have over the station’s programmers?

Comment

He knows where their Wonder Stuff and Ned's Atomic Dustbin records are buried.

Comment

Absolutely gutted Hobbs is off the weekend early slot, she was perfect to wake up to...

Comment

On holiday so I've missed this fun and just catching up on it. Works out OK for my listening habits, it means Chris Hawkins will be on for the duration of my 'getting up and out' routine, instead of having to suffer Shaun Keaveney's repetitive shtick in the first half hour of breakfast. Hawkins is fairly knowledgeable and less tiresome than most. I'm not sure Keaveney is knowledgeable enough (or at least if he is he rarely demonstrates it) for the afternoon slot which tends to involve a lot of interviews and other guests, but we'll see. Glad MAH has got a promotion, though in practice I'll rarely hear her. Overall though it's a bit of a deckchair shuffle and doesn't do anything to bring in a new generation (unless I've missed some detail) - keeping Lamacq in that time slot really is a lack of imagination.

Comment

Mark Radcliffe says: “With kids at university to support"
                              So he'll be off as soon as the kids are self-sufficient?

Maconie has his 'Freak Zone' sideline and his books, which seem to keep selling despite diminishing returns. He also enjoys walking, which he will now have more time to do.

I'm curious as to what they will do in a weekend 7am slot. They could go back to the more satirical Music News they did on Radio 2 as there's not presumably a need for a serious news slot at weekends. The Chain will obviously stay. "Tea Time Theme Time" would at least need to be renamed. Maybe they would not be as constrained by the playlist. I hope they are aware of and take on board the criticism that they keep repeating the same oldies.

Comment

Given the amount of money that Mark and Lard were on for Radio 1 breakfast in the late 90’s, Radcliffe is not in need of the cash.

Comment

While I’m sure they were decently paid over their entire R1 career I’m not sure eight months wages for the breakfast show will still be lasting Radcliffe twenty one years later. I would imagine they were probably the lowest paid ever hosts in that slot too.

Comment

Radcliffe in 2017 was on at least 200k a year, which was more than Keaveney. I assume he would have to take a substantial pay cut now.

How much does it really cost him to put his kids through uni? Would he not have enough savings for that?

But then there is also the fear of boredom and losing your relevance, I would guess. The weekends just about keep him in the game, but I think he needs to revamp the format somehow.

He revealed on Thursday's show that he and Maconie had discussed whether they should go their separate ways but they had decided against it. They are now a brand, I guess.

Comment

It is always very dangerous to make any assumptions about an individual’s current net worth from their historical earnings.

The range of relevant behaviour is vast, and the impact of a wide range of external factors can be massive.

Comment

I think people are taking the “kids at university to support” line way too seriously. It seemed pretty obvious to me it’s a flippant gag.
                                        Last edited by Ray de Galles; 12-08-2018, 05:16.

Comment

True; maybe more a dig at government educational policies rather than an actual description of his finances. He seems to be staying for his commitment to the station, the programme's values and the creative nature of the Radmac partnership.

Comment

Or he's just been a little dry. Radcliffe has been on BBC national radio for over two decades solid and does occasional TV work. He lives in a large detached house (his words) in North Cheshire which as in all likelihood already had the mortgage paid off on it. Unless money is getting pissed up the wall left, right and centre he ain't got no worries.

Comment

Radcliffe is also still doing the Radio 2 folk show on Wednesdays so I don't think he's short of work.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                                While I’m sure they were decently paid over their entire R1 career I’m not sure eight months wages for the breakfast show will still be lasting Radcliffe twenty one years later. I would imagine they were probably the lowest paid ever hosts in that slot too.
                                                The story (as told by the man himself) was that when he and Lard were offered the breakfast job, he thought of a number which was substantial rise on his current salary, doubled it, wrote it down on a piece of paper which he passed to the guy offering the gig as a way of getting them to turn him down. The BBC then immediately accepted it and Radcliffe thought to himself "Oh bugger".

Comment

Do BBC DJs still do their own programming?

Commercial radio here has become almost entirely driven by algorithms.

Comment

The average age of the 6Music DJs is 52.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X