Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Serve The Rich by Pins is great

Comment

Latest daytime play stats for the year to date. It's up for grabs now!

=1 (1) Alt-J - 297 [294] plays +3
      ^2 (4) Ride - 263 [232] +31
      v3 (2) Loyle Carner - 255 [251] +4
      v4 (3) David Bowie - 247 [236] +11
      ^5 (6) Elbow - 238 [228] +10
      v6 (5) Arcade Fire - 238 [231] +7
      =7 (7) Depeche Mode - 227 [223] +4
      =8 (8) Radiohead - 214 [209] +5
      =9 (9) Goldfrapp - 211 [208] +3
      =10 (10) The Jesus and Mary Chain - 210 [206] +4

Comment

It's Saviour's Day tomorrow. There's every chance Elbow could still sneak a dramatic victory at the death.

In inane breakfast show news Shaun Keaveny played the sticky sticky stick song from Hey Duggie the other day making him the favourite DJ ever of both my children.

Comment

Originally posted by Artificial Hipster View Post
          It's Saviour's Day tomorrow. There's every chance Elbow could still sneak a dramatic victory at the death.

In inane breakfast show news Shaun Keaveny played the sticky sticky stick song from Hey Duggie the other day making him the favourite DJ ever of both my children.
          The first thing I heard on the radio this morning was that Elbow have had to cancel tomorrow's live show. I offer no further comment.

Comment

It's a Christmas miracle.

Comment

Elbow have had to cancel tomorrow's live show
              to be replaced by Arse..?

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
                The first thing I heard on the radio this morning was that Elbow have had to cancel tomorrow's live show. I offer no further comment.
                Christmas cheer for all.

Meanwhile, one of the first things I heard on 6 this morning was...I Feel Love by Donna Summer (until I switched it off with a hearty 'for f*ck's sake!')

That's another three times this week - at least, while I've been listening. I hereby begin I Feel Love-Watch.

Comment

The I Feel Love thing is baffling. Surely someone at 6 must have noticed and thought, "this makes us look silly but could easily be fixed."

Unless it is some kind of weird psy-ops attack targeted at OTF and the population at large get a different, largely IFL-free broadcast.

Comment

It would be nice to think so, but 6 have been guilty of this kind of thing regularly over the past half decade or so. (Their Facebook page noticeably does not allow for public posting...)

Previously, it was Uptown Top Ranking - and, more recently, Police and Thieves and Buffalo Stance.

Comment

It predates 6 Music. I can remember John Peel commenting sometime in 80s/early 90s how every other oldie played on daytime Radio One seemed to be either "Melting Pot" by Blue Mink or "Come up and See Me (make me smile)" by Cockney Rebel.

Comment

The oldies must be programmed as thoughtfully as the actual (current music) playlist - all designed to form the image and sound of the station. There's no way that these tracks are popping up at random, the library must be tiered in a way to ensure that certain tracks get played more than others and - for example - the Stone Roses get a certain number of plays a week. It is the ultimate mixtape / ipod playlist of someone's idea of cool, and Lamacq is the uncle who has commandeered the hifi at a family party, plugged his ipod in through the aux, and is sitting in the corner nodding sagely as he "drops" Eton Rifles again.

Yet again I'll say it's a lot better than anything else in the mainstream media, and far ahead of the commercial alternative rock stations in America, which are incredibly tightly controlled and risk averse, but god it needs a shake.

Comment

There must be a couple of dozen songs that get played at least once a week and probably several times more, it's only down to chance which particular ones we hear most often. It'll take a while before I get fed up of hearing Shirley Ellis' Soul Time but they're doing their utmost to test me at the moment.

Comment

Land of 1,000 Dances - that's another...

Comment

It doesn't even do justice to the oldies acts. Stevie Wonder will usually be Higher Ground, Marvin will be Mercy Mercy Me. Great songs obviously but regular young listeners might think they were the artists' only major works.

Comment

This issue seems to apply largely to soul, R&B and reggae acts - which smacks ever so faintly of tokenism on 6's part...

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                  It doesn't even do justice to the oldies acts. Stevie Wonder will usually be Higher Ground, Marvin will be Mercy Mercy Me. Great songs obviously but regular young listeners might think they were the artists' only major works.
                                  Australians probably think Blondie's biggest (only?) hit was One Way Or Another. I really like their first three albums but when I hear this song on the radio it makes me irrationally angry.

Comment

Same in Ireland. I always thought it a fairly minor Blondie single, it was always Heart of Glass/Atomic on the radio when I were a nipper. One Way or Another was in some shit Diet Coke/Special K ad a few years back over here, maybe that increased its ubiquity.

Comment

It was not released as a single in the UK. Minor hit in the US as the 4th single from Parallel Lines.

Comment

Final standings for daytime plays in 2017.

= 1. Alt-J 302 [297] +5
                                        = 2. Ride 286 [263] +23
                                        ^ 3. David Bowie 259 [247] +12
                                        v 4. Loyle Carner 257 [255] +2
                                        ^ 5. Arcade Fire 243 [238] +5
                                        v 6. Elbow 241 [238] +3
                                        = 7. Depeche Mode 227 [227] 0
                                        = 8. Radiohead 216 [214] +2
                                        = 9. Goldfrapp 214 [211] +3
                                        NE 10. Beck 213 [not known] not known

First week of 2018:

1. Ghostpoet 13
                                        1. Manic Street Preachers 13
                                        1. The National 13
                                        1. Washed Out 13
                                        5. The Go! Team 12
                                        5. Tune-Yards 12
                                        7. Shame 11
                                        7. N*E*R*D 11
                                        7. Sunflower Bean 11
                                        7. Hookworms 11

Those who are on their first 'single' of a new album are likely to feature strongly for the rest of the year, as they can potentially pull off Ride's trick of getting three songs on the A-list. Tune-Yards early contenders for a repeat top ten finish, Ghostpoet and The Go! Team are 6 Music favourites, and the Manics are of course stalwarts.

Remarkably the other day they played Manchild by Neneh Cherry instead of Buffalo Stance. Must have been intern in for Christmas or something.

Comment

Gideon's just played The Ruts live from 1979, including SUS. Quite possibly one of the best angry songs of all time.

Comment

Not on 6 Music, and in the wrong forum altogether now but Radio 2 have announced a shake up of their schedule, the central plank of which is to extend Drivetime to three hours and have Jo Whiley join Simon Mayo as a co-presenter. I'm not anti-BBC by any means (despite my constant whinging about 6 Music) but often wonder how the BBC gets away with these things sometimes - i.e. paying two people for a job that one could do (and indeed in this case, has done for some time, albeit in a two hour format), see also "Radmac", and having two commentators for football matches. In this particular case they are both well paid presenters whose combined salary would be fairly eye watering if they'd paid it to a solo presenter.

Comment

R5 have largely done away with two commentators for most matches, no? Sadly they still retain the (usually obnoxious, dim, bantering former pro) colour man.

Comment

I suspect it's a case of needing to put a female into the daytime presenter line up. It's been assumed for a while that whenever a vacancy next arose the job would go to a woman, presumably now they can't wait for that and if a space can't be found then a role has to be created.

They're also stopping (sorry, resting) The Organist Entertains. Philistines.

Comment

Mayo and Whiley don't strike me as a very good mix, though that's possibly because I think the latter is an excruciating broadcast presence.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                                    R5 have largely done away with two commentators for most matches, no? Sadly they still retain the (usually obnoxious, dim, bantering former pro) colour man.
                                                    They may well have, it's some time since I've listened to a full match commentary on Five Live. It just always seemed a bit strange, as they didn't do it on TV or on local radio.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X