The Potential Loss of BBC 6 Music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
    On the internet, you can never be entirely confident that you have gotten away with it.
    Damn you!

I like to listen to 6 when I'm alone in the office. Is it under threat again?

Comment

Originally posted by MsD View Post
      Damn you!

I like to listen to 6 when I'm alone in the office. Is it under threat again?
      Not really, I was just wanting to have a whinge about it being a bit tired these days and it wasn't worth starting a new thread so resurrected an old one.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
        It's a strange false binary to think the only choice is between a monotonous drone like Ravenscroft basically reading out press releases and Chris Moyles and his ilk's "zoo format". There's a wide range of styles in between.
        Right, and if I'm listening to a music station, then I just happen to prefer a DJ who actually knows something about what he/she is playing and is happy to impart that to the audience. Ravenscroft sounding 'monotonous' is your take, really - I've never really had much of an issue with his presenting style. (And Peel himself used to read out press releases: what are they supposed to do, make it all up?)

It's a 'strange false binary' (or similar) to suggest that if the music is of the main importance then 'presenter-less' is the only way to go. For the fairly apparent reasons I've outlined upthread.
        Last edited by Jah Womble; 28-11-2017, 09:32.

Comment

Hungry young innovator Noel Gallagher is today's album of the day.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
            Right, and if I'm listening to a music station, then I just happen to prefer a DJ who actually knows something about what he/she is playing and is happy to impart that to the audience. Ravenscroft sounding 'monotonous' is your take, really - I've never really had much of an issue with his presenting style. (And Peel himself used to read out press releases: what are they supposed to do, make it all up?)

It's a 'strange false binary' (or similar) to suggest that if the music is of the main importance then 'presenter-less' is the only way to go. For the fairly apparent reasons I've outlined upthread.
            At the risk of labouring the point, that's stems from you making an absolutist statement like "It's all about the music" (which, to be honest, sounds like a line from one of those crushingly earnest, portentous trails people like Mark Riley and Cerys Matthews produce for the station) and that you're happy to have "a more nondescript voice to book-end what's playing" - the DJ as train guard.

To react to criticism of Ravenscroft by acting as if the only alternative is the complete opposite end of the spectrum like Moyles , as you did, is peculiar. There is such a wide range of styles in between them and plenty of DJs who "actually knows something about what he/she is playing" without making it like listening to the speaking clock.

Anyway, we're clearly not going to agree on the main point, I just found the leaps you made extreme.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
              At the risk of labouring the point, that's stems from you making an absolutist statement like "It's all about the music" (which, to be honest, sounds like a line from one of those crushingly earnest, portentous trails people like Mark Riley and Cerys Matthews produce for the station) and that you're happy to have "a more nondescript voice to book-end what's playing" - the DJ as train guard.

To react to criticism of Ravenscroft by acting as if the only alternative is the complete opposite end of the spectrum like Moyles , as you did, is peculiar. There is such a wide range of styles in between them and plenty of DJs who "actually knows something about what he/she is playing" without making it like listening to the speaking clock.

Anyway, we're clearly not going to agree on the main point, I just found the leaps you made extreme.
              And making a jump from personality DJs to a presenter-free station isn't? Well, okay.

I made the comparison with what you rightly call 'zoo format', because so many UK music stations have chosen to go down this daytime-path over the past three decades or so: Steve Wright, Chris Evans, etc, have much to answer for. 6Music - and particularly the more stoic presenters like Hobbs, Coe and - yes - Ravenscroft, who all seem to give a damn about what they play - represent a blessed relief to these ears. 'DJ as train guard', if you like, but I don't see that as such an abomination. Xfm was great when their output was almost exclusively this.

No, we probably aren't going to agree, but if we're going to start nit-picking at turns of phrase, then personally I'd say that 'it's all about the music' sounds more like the title or strapline of some BBC television attempt to create a more-musicianly rival to X Factor, or similar. Which you know will eventually become a carbon-copy of same when viewers start switching over.

However, if I'm listening to a music station such as 6Music, well - and this may come as a bit of a shock - it kind of 'is' really. Perhaps Jazz FM fans are 'absolutist' for hoping to hear some jazz on their station? (They'd be disappointed, whatever...)

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
                Today's show (I looked it up) included Ever Fallen In Love, Buffalo Stance, Design for Life, Size of a Cow, Eton Rifles, Even Flow, In the Midnight Hour (I know), Cars - all songs which if you hadn't heard them in ages you wouldn't mind but 6 Music has turned these and many others into aural wallpaper.
                I was gonna let it lie, but sup up your beer and collect your fags, cos he played Eton Rifles again today.

Comment

I enjoyed listening to Radcliffe and Maconie today, they had Neil Hannon on.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                    Hungry young innovator Noel Gallagher is today's album of the day.
                    That's simultaneously the album of the week on that cutting edge alternative station BBC Radio 2.

Comment

6 have also made the likes of Girl Band, Part Chimp and Francobollo Album of the Day - so, again, if the likes of Noel G are considered 'leavening' to that, then I can live with it.

They really need to stop f***ing playing Buffalo Stance, however.

Comment

Oh, wot are you like?

Comment

^ Best post in this thread yet.

Comment

The new Noel G joint was given a unanimous thumbs-up when played on Roundtable a couple of weeks back, too - and 6 have been rinsing it pretty much daily since then. (Is that enough 'down with the kids'-speak for an opening para?)

All I'm hearing is a mash-up of Plastic Bertrand and Ricky Martin. Which is probably affording it more kudos than it deserves.
                            Just listening to Holy Mountain and I heard Plastic Bertrand crossed with Showaddywaddy. I also hear the Ricky Martin.

Lamacq must be taking the piss as he's followed it up with Plastic Bertrand and Ca Plaine Pour Moi.

I know which is better and a classic.

Comment

After playing it be says, "it had to be done at some point". Respect.

Comment

Oh, wot are you like?
                                If we had a thread on songs that are let down by a cringeworthy comedy middle section, then Buffalo Stance is clearly the front-runner. I though Manchild was a better single but somehow it seems to have dropped down the memory hole as far as this playlisting goes. Buffalo Stance is the token hiphop record that is supposed to make up for lack of current or past "black" music in the schedule, I would guess, although you do occasionally get Public Enemy or De La Soul on Radcliffe and Maconie (and Radcliffe has Little Jackie in his desert island shortlist).

Comment

6 have also made the likes of Girl Band, Part Chimp and Francobollo Album of the Day - so, again, if the likes of Noel G are considered 'leavening' to that, then I can live with it.
                                  Noel's AotD was the latest contrivance in a series that have served to make everyday feel like Noel day on 6 over the last few weeks.

The consensus on 6music's strengths and weaknesses is pretty strong on this thread; the differences seem to arise over whether it is reasonable to expect more or to just be grateful for what we've got.

Comment

Yep, I'm getting close to contradicting myself here on one or two occasions. In terms of new releases, I'm less bothered if they play (over-) familiar artists if it means plenty of less-established stuff: it's the 'actual' oldies that do my noggin.

Oh, wot are you like?
                                    Ha - very good. It's a decent-enough record, just way overplayed on 6Music.

Comment

Today's Album of the Day is Elbow's 15 year old debut album, but it's ok, it's cos they are announcing some "exciting Elbow news" at 1pm. Do your own punchlines.

Comment

I'm having to pop up and down a step ladder today. I'll be sure to be on solid ground at 1pm to reduce the possibility of accidents due to Elbow induced narcolepsy.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
                                          Today's Album of the Day is Elbow's 15 year old debut album, but it's ok, it's cos they are announcing some "exciting Elbow news" at 1pm. Do your own punchlines.
                                          Oh, to be Guy Garvey - to have one's gradual retirement from a valid music career so lovingly monitored and documented by a national radio station. Perhaps they should give him his own show...oh, hang on.

(What I said upthread stilll applies, however.)

Comment

Just out of interest, most played artists on daytime 6 Music so far this year (it's off a website, I haven't actually kept score):

1.Alt-J - 294 plays
                                            2.Loyle Carner - 251 plays
                                            3.David Bowie - 236 plays
                                            4.Ride - 232 plays
                                            5.Arcade Fire - 231 plays
                                            6.Elbow - 228 plays
                                            7.Depeche Mode - 223 plays
                                            8.Radiohead - 209 plays
                                            9.Goldfrapp - 208 plays
                                            10.The Jesus and Mary Chain - 206 plays

Elbow's AOTD appearance should see them challenging for the Champions League places. Stay tuned (do you actually 'tune' a DAB?).

Comment

What the hell are Ride doing so far up that list?

Comment

Originally posted by Disco Child Ballads View Post
                                                What the hell are Ride doing so far up that list?
                                                New album this year, and guessing three of the tracks got A-listed.

Meanwhile the Elbow announcement was that they are doing a live show with an orchestra for Radcliffe and Maconie on 21 December. That, plus the usual trade off this sort of thing involves (increased airplay before and after the event), multiplied by the Elbow constant, will put Loyle Carner's runners up spot in danger I reckon.

Comment

Viz Ride, Charm Assault, All I Want and Cali were all a-listed on 6Music this year. (Twisterella - the somewhat-baffling selection for 'overplayed Ride oldie of choice' will also have bolstered this stat a touch.)

Surprised that the blanket airplay for Morrissey's Spent the Day Victim-Blaming hasn't shoved him into the mix...

Comment

I hadn't heard of Loyle Carner until reading that post. A quick sample suggests a male Kate Tempest but a very lite version.* To be fair, Radcliffe and Maconie have played the genuine article.

*I'm being harsh: he's not bad**, but sounds derivative to me.

However, this very good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WQSAkYL70I
                                                    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 30-11-2017, 14:44.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X