The Potential Loss of BBC 6 Music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am not going to pretend that I listen to this station all the time, or that it is my default station of choice, however, I do dip in and out a fair bit. What you have is an intelligent (for the most part) outlet for new and upcoming music, as well as some classic tracks from various genres. It is non preachy, there are no “text in and tell me if you like crisps” half wit DJs and most importantly no commercial boy band shite that withers the conventional airwaves. It is being proposed that this service shall close in 2011. No doubt, some of the stuff will move to Radio 2, but could The Organist Entertains sit alongside Freak Zone? It is a shame for those – including me - who suffered daily banality from Simon Bates and DLT, just to get to a point in the early evening “when the decent stuff came on”( and the reception was so appalling as R1 was only on AM then) and there was something worth listening too. 6 Music was a pipedream for so many, it’s here, it may stay, it may not, but it will be a sad day if it goes

MarcB wrote:
    I am not going to pretend that I listen to this station all the time, or that it is my default station of choice, however, I do dip in and out a fair bit. What you have is an intelligent (for the most part) outlet for new and upcoming music, as well as some classic tracks from various genres. It is non preachy, there are no “text in and tell me if you like crisps” half wit DJs
    You never listened to George Lamb then?

If R6 does go then the main impact on my life is that I will never again hear 'Sound of the Suburbs' and 'Oh Bondage, Up Yours' at hourly intervals.

Comment

I've never really listened to 6 Music - it all looks a bit Culture Show to me - but it is quite obviously the kind of station the BBC should be running. Radio really does need the BBC, and I doubt it's a particularly expensive thing to run.

What I'm most concerned about, out of self-interest, is the slashing of 25% from their web budget. I'm an unemployed web editor at the moment, and if a load of BBC web editors flood the currently comatose job market it's going to leave me right up shit creek.

Comment

Harry Truscott wrote:
        MarcB wrote:
        I am not going to pretend that I listen to this station all the time, or that it is my default station of choice, however, I do dip in and out a fair bit. What you have is an intelligent (for the most part) outlet for new and upcoming music, as well as some classic tracks from various genres. It is non preachy, there are no “text in and tell me if you like crisps” half wit DJs
        You never listened to George Lamb then?

No, though I know there was a hoo ha when he started

Comment

Lucia Lanigan wrote:
          I've never really listened to 6 Music - it all looks a bit Culture Show to me - but it is quite obviously the kind of station the BBC should be running.
          You've hit on a regular issue in my life - bemoaning the loss of independent cinemas, local pubs, small record stores and cosy corner shops.

None of which I ever used.

Comment

I know what you mean, but in this case I listen to it all the time and I've got the right hump about it.

Comment

I listen to Lauren Lavern's show most mornings and like it. Lavern's popularist posturing can be irritating, she does do things like the "text me if you like crisps" stuff mentioned in this thread, but generally she's very good for that time of day. But if her show and station were to disappear forever, I can't say it would produce a big hole in my life.

In terms of playing new music, I think NME radio is far better and less irritating for daytime/afternoon listening. It's just a pity my internet radio can't play the station and I have to listen via the computer, which I prefer not to do. If I could listen to it with great ease, I'd never listen to Radio 6.

Comment

Try listening to the station in the evening: that's when it comes into its own and actually does what it's supposed to do according to its remit. The daytime output is hamstrung by the playlist, as the listeners have been telling the management for years.

Comment

Tony C wrote:
                  You've hit on a regular issue in my life - bemoaning the loss of independent cinemas, local pubs, small record stores and cosy corner shops.

None of which I ever used.
                  True, this. It's what makes things 'a shame' rather than 'a fucking outrage'. Sometimes radio stations, like restaurants, close shop because not enough people liked them to keep them going.

Comment

But in this case, it's got very respectable listening figures, despite not being available on FM, but only on digital and on the internet.

Comment

Yeah, in this case the decision is a political not an economic one, WOM (though admittedly one partly influenced by the listening figures for 6Music)

Comment

I used to wake up to Phill Jupitus, and that is really nowhere near as bad as it sounds. His choice of music was damned good. And he took requests, and pissed off the requests that didnt fit.

He played two of mine. And both times, just because it was right, at that time.

George Lamb is the biggest mistake they made, Harry, as alluded to in an article (somewhere) today. He was/is the only DJ on that station on a regular basis, didnt know what they were talking about.

*edit oh, and Laura Laverne for Director General.

Comment

Alderman Barnes wrote:
                          Try listening to the station in the evening: that's when it comes into its own and actually does what it's supposed to do according to its remit. The daytime output is hamstrung by the playlist, as the listeners have been telling the management for years.
                          As a teenager, I'd do little else other than listen to the radio in the evening whilst sitting in my bedroom. This days it's a strictly daytime thing, I have it on whilst I work (fortunately from home). In the evening I usually watch TV or read.

I've actually switched my morning listening to WKCR - The Columbia University radio station, which is excellent and extremely eclectic but mostly jazz orientated at the hour I'm listening (which is about 4am NYC time).

Comment

6 Music was really good when it first launched, when they had obscure, unassuming presenters who played loads of obscure music and they didn't really have a "format" to speak of. (I do like Lauren Laverne's voice though.)

I'd say 6 Music could easily survive on half the budget. Move the famous DJs somewhere else and use the station as a breeding ground for cheaper, up and coming talent. Get rid of the "6 Music news" bit that comes on after the actual news headlines. That kind of pointless starfucking journalism costs too much.

It's clear that this kind of station can't be run by commercial stations though, who are just a mere extension of the record industry.

If worse comes to worse, there's still France Inter Paris though, which I listen to way more often.

Comment

Alderman Barnes wrote:
                              But in this case, it's got very respectable listening figures, despite not being available on FM, but only on digital and on the internet.
                              Did it really? Where would I find these figures?

Comment

I've seen 650,000 listeners quoted in various newspaper articles. I don't know if this includes internet listeners though, a large chunk of which are non-license fee paying people overseas.

I do wonder how many listeners they'd have if they were on FM.

Comment

I have never listened to BBC6 Music but I can't believe it's a bigger waste of money than the TV channel BBC3.

Sample programming

Comment

Cantagalo wrote:

I have never listened to BBC6 Music but I can't believe it's a bigger waste of money than the TV channel BBC3.
                                    That's the first time I've seen anyone bring BBC3 into this, and thank fuck. That channel is utter piss - consistently broadcasting some of the poorest TV that the BBC has ever produced, and in the main a conspicuous example of the corporation following dubious trends established by commercial opposition.

Comment

harrycaul wrote:
                                      Cantagalo wrote:

That's the first time I've seen anyone bring BBC3 into this, and thank fuck. That channel is utter piss - consistently broadcasting some of the poorest TV that the BBC has ever produced, and in the main a conspicuous example of the corporation following dubious trends established by commercial opposition.
                                      It's out the corner of my eye, but our lass has got BBC 3 on at the mo and there is quite possibly the worst sitcom ever committed to screen on right now. Seriously, i'd rather be bummed by Claude Makalele than watch this shit.

George Lamb, however, is reason enough to shut 6 Music down. Shabba.

Comment

Started as the "B side radio" back in the 80's, still does a good job, every genre under the sun is played. Public service and leftie/green...

Couleur 3

Comment

So, having initially said fuck off to Asians and Indie fans, the BBC is now only saying fuck off to Asians. Rejoice!

Comment

It will be a great loss if the Asian Network goes.

Comment

The cuts to the online budget are worrying me.

I've never heard the Asian network, but it's kind of a big demographic, isn't it? I know within South Asia there's a pan-Asian culture for film, music etc. But does that work here? Would Indians and Bangladeshis not prefer their own stations? Would they not prefer it in Asian languages? My next door neighbour doesn't seem even to be aware of the BBC station.

Comment

The BBC are still spineless bastards though. One wonders what else they will do when this Tory government starts applying the pressure.

I'm still not quite sure what to make of 6 music. Some of it is good, but it does seem to be stuck in a world where Britpop is the greatest era for pop music a lot of the time. Just look at some of the presenters they have - Jarvis Cocker, Cerys Matthews, etc.

Comment

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
                                                  I've never heard the Asian network, but it's kind of a big demographic, isn't it? I know within South Asia there's a pan-Asian culture for film, music etc. But does that work here? Would Indians and Bangladeshis not prefer their own stations? Would they not prefer it in Asian languages? My next door neighbour doesn't seem even to be aware of the BBC station.
                                                  It's very popular with young Asians and plays a lot of crossover stuff .. My bestest friends The Wolfmen were number one on their chart for a while with their collaboration with Daler Mehndi, that was a real bhangra/punk mashup.

It definitely isn't just pure Asian culture, that's for sure. Check out their current top 40, there's a song in there called "Offlicence".

Comment

Working...
                                                  X