Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Joseph Gordon-Levitt IS Cobra Commander

G.I. Joe

Just wait until you see who plays Destro.

If they take the approach of the first 24 episodes of the comic, it might not be too bad. If they take the approach of the cartoon, it will probably still be worth seeing once (and only once).

I'm still a bit in shock about this whole thing.

Issue 27 may be my most remembered Joe story. Great cover too.

No, evil Jimmy Olsen is Cobra Commander:

Comment

I wasn't one of those spoiled kids who had every Joe figure and toy, but I was a pretty big fan growing up. Yet, I have zero interest in this movie. It seems like a stupid idea to me, but so did Transformers, and that was popular, wasn't it?

And what is the significance of the guy playing Destro? never heard of him.

Comment

Check this out.

GI Joe was a bit silly - the show was at the height of the crappy animated shows made only to flog toys era of tv animation.

However, the comics weren't as bad and the Storm Shadow-Snake Eyes ninja subplot was awesome. Not awesome in a "what a brilliantly nuanced exploration of the struggles of the medieval Japanese warrior class to come to grips with modernity" way but awesome in a "Ninjas are so frickin sweet that it makes me almost crap my pants" sort of way.

Comment

Really, Christopher Eccleston? He was the last-but-one Dr Who.

I do like the thought that this guy:

will now have a really dour Mancunian accent though.

Comment

I feel like there is something missing from both Reed's and Mitch's post.

Comment

It's the first picture from the new GI Joe film. It's a shot of Snake-eyes, played by Ray Park (he has cut out a nice niche for himself in Hollywood - martial arts masters who don't say much. He also played Darth Maul in TPM and Toad in X-Men). The costume looks exactly like it should. I'm sure you can find it on the web somewhere. I found it via superherohype.com

Comment

"He's the world's greatest ninja, but he's also next-generation. He's not afraid to use a sword one second, and a split-second later he's pulling out his Glock," Sommers told USA Today. "His chief nemesis is arguably the world's other great ninja, Storm Shadow. The two grew up together, were blood brothers and now are mortal enemies."
                I've always wanted an enemy. I've got people I don't get on with. People I'm not very fond of. People, even, that I dislike. But I've never had an enemy, let alone a former blood brother turned enemy.

I may fabricate one just so I can say shit about having an ene... wait... a MORTAL enemy.

It'd be a bummer having an immortal enemy. You'd be fucked.

Comment

GI Joe will be directed by Stephen Sommers, which not only serves as a piece of info but also as a warning, although his witlessly frivolous 'chuck everything in' style may suit it.

I was surprised Ecclestone was signed up to do this, but then, he did take the Doctor Who role to dispel the belief that he was a 'miserable git' due to previously heavier gigs. His career's taking an interestingly mainstream turn.

Comment

Didn't Sommers direct The Mummy? That was pretty good.

Comment

It'd be a bummer having an immortal enemy. You'd be fucked
                      Unless, of course, if you were immortal as well. that could get to be a bit of a drag though.

'Oh for fuck's sake! You again. Don't you have anyone else to fight?'

Comment

Didn't Sommers direct The Mummy? That was pretty good.

Yeah, that was fun, and the director's previous flick, the shambly, yet energetic Deep Rising was a guilty pleasure. But the Mummy sequel and Van Helsing seemed to ladle on the forced thrills and flood of CGI (not all of it good) to overflowing.

Sommers is the equivalent of a kid with a train set. He seems to get more fun out of it than the audience he's playing to.

Comment

Good point.

If he can get a gag with the quality of Deep Rising's "Girl from Ipanema" moment in it would be a good start.

Comment

Yeah SocScrim, netflix the first season of Dr. Who. He's also on Heroes.

The thing that was hilarious to me as a kid, and one of the biggest reasons I never took GI Joe too seriously, was that outlandish fact that some terrorist organization would take on the USA.

Obviously that's the greatest thing working in its favor these days. I pray...pray...that some conservative asswipe accuses Hollywood of not having the terrorists be Al Queda or Muslim. (However, I'm sure most conservatives will be quite pleased with this film.)

The figures were my favorite, because they could bend at the elbows and knees, which made them the best wrestling figures around (unlike the idiotic LJN WWF figures, which was one big unwieldy piece of hard rubber.) My steel cage matches with them were legendary. My father would yell at me because I'd call the entire match with a "OH MY GOD I CAN'T BELIEVE IT" falsetto, which got on his nerves. Of course everything that pissed him off I'm now quite proud of.

We all have mortal enemies, EIM. They're called ourselves.

Comment

Working...
                            X