• Show
Clear All

Cheese

I like cheese, me. Anyone else?

Cheese

Oh good god....

Comment

Cheese

Something wrong, old chap? Run out of Sage Derby, perchance?

Comment

Cheese

"Sage Derby"....I thought you liked cheese...

Comment

Cheese

Oh i do. I did ask if my learned friend had run out, as he was implying he didn't like cheese. Meh.

Stilton. Lovely, creamy Stiton.

Comment

Cheese

Try Yorkshire Blue or Blue Wensleydale instead, from God's own country...

Comment

Cheese

You can't preach to the converted, my friend. I am as regular as a Kennedy funeral at Hawes Creamery. Wensleydale Blue, Sheep's Milk Wensleydale and that golden Cheddar. Fantastic.

Comment

Cheese

Georgeous George wrote:
                Something wrong, old chap? Run out of Sage Derby, perchance?
                No, not at all. It's just...there's this other poster. I don't want to say too much, you see, so let's just call him Moonlight S.

No, that's too obvious.

We'll call him the Shadow. Anyway, he's a cheese fiend. He's unreasonable on the topic. And if you're not careful, you'll get him started.

Beware, that's all I can say.

Now I'm off for some Cheez Whiz on Velveeta before settling down to a fitful night's sleep.

And welcome, GG.

Comment

Cheese

You might also find a bit of good reading on this thread from the old board.

Comment

Cheese

The only thing shitter than cheese is Yorkshire. More or less.

Comment

Cheese

EIM wrote:
                      The only thing shitter than cheese is Yorkshire. More or less.
                      Hey, watch it you.

Comment

Cheese

What EIM said.

Comment

Cheese

What a promising turn this thread has taken for a constructive and horizon-expanding exchange of ideas.

Still, I suppose a careful reflection on EIM's contribution does lead one to the conclusion that there are few absolutes and unqualified truths in this world. Wonderful and awe-inspiring as Yorkshire generally is, one has to concede that it is not entirely flawless in every respect, and that even some of its better features may be outshone by a few other counties of our realm. And not all cheese is worthy of praise.

Still, keeping it simple, Lancashire is so much closer to excrement than Yorkshire ever could be that it is bordering on comical to suggest the opposite. And many other counties, like Lincolnshire, Nottinghamshire, Surrey, Buckinghamshire and Staffordshire to name just a selection, are also manifestly inferior to Yorkshire by a huge margin.

Really, it's only Cumbria and Greater London that could clearly outshine Yorkshire.

Comment

Cheese

No-one actually gives a toss, do they? It's not like counties are important thing. Unlike cheese.

Comment

Cheese

I'm not sure you can make a meaningful comparision between the importance of counties and cheese. It's like chalk and cheese. Well, certainly in the case of East Sussex and Kent anyway.

But the reaction to the 1974 local government reforms from, say, the inhabitants of the abolished Rutland, or the parts of Yorkshire incorporated in Humberside, was I believe less than total indifference. I haven't checked whether or not they felt (a) less bothered or (b) more bothered than if someone had disrupted their cheese supply.

Comment

Cheese

Lord Mauleverer wrote:
                                Really, it's only Cumbria and Greater London that could clearly outshine Yorkshire.
                                How can you compare a hideous, dirty, concrete, gridlocked, smog infested, unwelcoming, over-crowded dump with it's nasty scowling inhabitants to the clean wide green (and occasionally purple) open spaces and quiet, humble folk of Yorkshire.
                                And what has London ever contributed to the world of cheese, anyway.

Comment

Cheese

Lord Mauleverer wrote:
                                  I'm not sure you can make a meaningful comparision between the importance of counties and cheese. It's like chalk and cheese. Well, certainly in the case of East Sussex and Kent anyway.

But the reaction to the 1974 local government reforms from, say, the inhabitants of the abolished Rutland, or the parts of Yorkshire incorporated in Humberside, was I believe less than total indifference. I haven't checked whether or not they felt (a) less bothered or (b) more bothered than if someone had disrupted their cheese supply.
                                  Some of my family, who used to live in Hessle. and their friends used to make a big issue about calling the area they lived in East Yorkshire. Nobody ever cut off their cheese supply as far as I'm aware, though I don't think they've ever been connoisseurs anyway.

Comment

Cheese

London fucking rocks, you nutters.

If you're practically anywhere else in the UK and you want a brilliant cup of coffee, what do you do? Go to fucking Costa? I can go upmarket, to the new Italian deli in Crouch End, or downmarket, to any one of three Colombian dives in Seven Sisters. How many Colombian coffee shops are there in fucking Bridlington?

Don't even get me started on great Turkish food.

OK, do. I can get three lahmacun, with salad, for a fiver. How many Tuckish lahmacun shops are there in fucking Wetherby?

You want to destroy our way of life because you envy our freedom.

Comment

Cheese

How many trees and fields can you see from your Columbian coffee shop?
                                      How many kestrels can you see through the fog of carbon monoxide outside your Italian deli?
                                      Any enjoyment of the food in the Turkish Cafe would be far outweighed by the knowledge that I would probably be murdered on the Tube on the way home.

Comment

Cheese

I loathe London. Also, solidified rotten cow pus! Mmm!

Comment

Cheese

If Crouch End is your idea of heaven, you are certainly in the sixth level of hell, desperately trying to claw your way back up the filth-ridden slopes to level five.

Comment

Cheese

I also hate London because it's currently got my wife there, while I sit here bored watching the worst football match ever. Anyone who tells you Serie A isn't dead is just wrong, wrong, wrong.

Comment

Cheese

Yorkshire Dales...I used to consult religiously my GBG for pubs but in that paradisiac corner of the world, no need. They are basically all fucking brilliant. Your average pub there is 300 years old, serves 2/3 real ales often from local micros and on the food front, local products is not some advertisement slogan.

Even my wife is forced to admit the place is the proverbial...(She is from Lancashire).

PS EIM and Liquidator are two grotesque and ugly freaks.

PPS London is ace too, twice a year. I do my shopping at Uniqlo, I stand in a corner observing that pulsing magma of life, check out a bit of art and discover a nice little restaurant. Intense place.

Comment

Cheese

I really cannot for the life of me imagine how or why anyone could want to live outside London.

I know that is a failure of imagination on my part, of course.

Comment

Cheese

Rogin the Armchair Fan wrote:
                                                  If Crouch End is your idea of heaven, you are certainly in the sixth level of hell...
                                                  No, Crouch End is pretty smug, middle-class rubbish on the whole. But the new Italian place there does good coffee. (It used to be the TV shop off the opening titles of Peep Show.)

Comment

Working...
                                                  X