Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inbetweeners

No, they are redeemable twats.

Yes but everyone is capable of redemption, that's the point.

No they're great characters because they're great caricatures. They're one-dimensionally accurate but that single dimension is portrayed with such devastating accuracy we (or a sufficient number of us) recognise and relate to it instantly. It's a very difficult thing to pull off and it's something Brits tend to do very well. Gilray did it, Dickens did it and Ealing comedies did also. I don't know that The Inbetweeners is quite in their division but it's playing the same game at a high level.

Comment

Inbetweeners

Amor de Cosmos wrote:
      She's like any number of the girls I went to secondary school with (right down to the fact that she seems to show occasional glimpses of being a nice person behind the popular girl facade).

She's "like" them from a strictly male perspective though. The series never shows the few female characters talking with each other, or even being together, so we have no idea how she relates to other girls and vice-versa.
      Absolutely. But the whole thing's told from the boys' (specifically Will's) point of view, and within those parameters, she (see below for who I meant) is spot on.

Fussbudget wrote:
      Hold on Sam, are we talking about the same one? Not even getting into how she looks about ten years older than the rest of the cast, do you think that *SPOILER ALERT* her romance with Will is in any way realistic? She's sitting in a club with some friends, some awkward creepy nerd comes to their table, insults her and her boyfriend with some unamusing racist stereotypes, and BAM! she is entranced enough to go skinny-dipping with him? What the actual fuck. Her "relationship" with her boyfriend is every bit as ham-fisted and nonsensical. All the other female characters at least bear some vague resemblance to actual teenage girls, but she is such a one-dimensional narrative prop that it is almost insulting.
      I assumed you meant Charlotte Hinchcliffe. She's far and away the girl who's in it most, of the ones Will talks to.

Comment

Inbetweeners

I might add that in Charlotte's case, no, she probably wouldn't let Will get into bed with her, but that at least had to happen in order for him to fuck it up so severely. Not getting anywhere near that situation in the first place wouldn't have been as funny (I accept of course that you didn't think it was anyway).

Comment

Inbetweeners

Ah that makes more sense! As I've mentioned I've only seen the film so was a bit at a loss as to who else you could be referring to, sorry for the mix-up.

Comment

Inbetweeners

Haha... whereas I haven't seen the film yet, and thus was at a loss as to which girl Will ever said anything even vaguely racist to in the TV series. I'm much less confused now.

Comment

Inbetweeners

Watched a whole episode of the TV series right the way through for the first time last night (the under 18 disco, if that rings any bells). Seems to me that the reason the one-liners work so well isn't the individual quality, so much as the critical mass that builds up after an unabated twenty minutes of them. It gets to the point where you're grinning at the relentless persistence as much as anything.

Comment

Inbetweeners

I've watched the three seasons in the space of two evenings. It is just excellent. Simon puking on the little brother is one as yet unmentioned highlight.

Only thing that I found a bit annoying is that NOTHING ever goes right for any of these guys. Give these poor guys a break at least once.

And if my son acted as ungraciously about being given a car, even if it is small and ugly, I'd take it back and buy him a bicycle instead.

Comment

Inbetweeners

The film works a lot less well than the TV series, in part because the length doesn't really suit such elongation and in part because the characters all get the unrealistically happy endings.

In The Office when Brent found a girlfriend it felt redemptive, in Inbetweeners it just feels awkward after so many episodes of them being such relentless losers.

Comment

Inbetweeners

Yeah, the ending was too tidy and too Hollywood. I enjoyed the journey there (except the clothing selling incident, which was just far-fetched), but found the ending rushed and jarring.

Comment

Inbetweeners

Pretty much agree with the last two comments, nice movie but too tidy and nice for me.

Comment

Inbetweeners

Definitely agree with all the comments about the film. At the time of watching I was probably willing the characters to get happy endings but afterwards it felt a bit flat; in the series the bully (James?) wouldn't have got his comeuppance; Jay would have continued spouting shit etc. One of the things I also think it missed was some of the interplay between the four characters taking the piss out of each other; ironically one of the deleted scenes on the dvd at the airport shows this really well I think.

However still a good watch. The dance scene in the first nightclub is quality.

Comment

Inbetweeners

I was scrolling through the shit TV stuff that had been on the previous evenings on the +Player thing, when I find the '2011' Comedy Awards... and there is sod all on, so I choose that.

And it gets to an award that is something like Best Contribution to Comedy in the year, and it is presented by Kylie, I am agog.

So, she introduces this programme 'The Inbetweeners', and mentions how many millions their film has made, and I went:

'What?'

and listened to the things that series has done, and for some reason, because it was Channel 4, I stopped the recording, and went to see if it was on the TV equivalent of 'online'. It was, and all, bar Series 3, Episode 1, were available.

I watched them all. I loved them, but I am thinking Fawlty Towers...

and THEN, there is an evening of The Inbeweeners best 20 minutes... and it was kinda cool... these actors are having fun... so I see the 'missing' episode, and then I hear there is a movie...

I watched the movie, and it all made sense, and 'ounching the fish', 'exiting in exams', and 'anything the floppy-haired, blond who has done everything, and when he ...'... type thing, would be understood.

And then I realise, that the people I know, have been in contact with the same, in various ways... and they really enjoyed it.

Apologies: I fucking loved this.

Comment

Inbetweeners

Bestest bit of the film:

Mr. Gilbert's speech

Comment

Inbetweeners

Bought the movie in the airport on the way home from the UK. Completely agree with dalliance, too tidy and there's nothing there to assimilate with and recognise from your own experiences.

Might have worked better if I'd seen it in the cinema, dunno.

Comment

Inbetweeners

Vicarious Thrillseeker wrote:
                                Bestest bit of the film:

Mr. Gilbert's speech
                                Brilliant stuff, I have that speech to make in two years time when my kids graduate, perhaps I should use this as a model?

Comment

Inbetweeners

steveeeeeeeee wrote:
                                  Bought the movie in the airport on the way home from the UK. Completely agree with dalliance, too tidy and there's nothing there to assimilate with and recognise from your own experiences.

Might have worked better if I'd seen it in the cinema, dunno.
                                  Nah. Much as I loved the film, there are qualms;

************** SPOILER CITY ******************

They get happy at the end

****** END OF SPOILER CITY *******************

and thats it... that was the whole reason for the feeling I had.

Because in this world, which ends like shit, I really didnt want a SPOILER ending of that sort... but sometimes it must. Life at school was a shit sandwich. No matter which way I turned, there was a wall at the end. So I had to be part of the unfulfilling, filling, but fortunately I discovered ... chillis.

The series' (sic) are rather excellent. The film is the result. The film is rather excellent (especially the Brit guy who meets them in Greece and asks them for money in a regressively, forlorn manner...) and it made me laugh uproariously, quiver horrendously, and reach for my pillow to hit a certain character repeatedly, and to death, due to his absolute insecurity about life. No, not the blond one...

Waterloo Road, it isnt. But, it should be. And, the best compliment of all is this: It doesnt matter, because it mattered. The past is a blah-di-blah. We lived different lives then. And we think we live different lives now, and physically we do. But mentally, we are still 17 years old (or pick a relevant year for yourself) and fucking things up, with the best intentions.

It was something that I will equate with a period of my life, that almost literally lasted an evening. I will probably not watch this again for a long time, as I am having difficulty seeing shit anyway. (Not physically... just mentally. I have a person living in my head whom I dont understand).

There is probably a word in another language meaning 'to be absolutely in the moment'.

I was right there. I loved this, including all the bad stuff that you wouldnt wish on your mates at any time, but was funny as fuck when done to others.

And to me. I had an exploding tent, once... strategically set up by 'mates' who knew (or thought) I hadnt been camping before, so they gave it the big un, about ghosts and vampires, and of course murderers... on Campsie Glen? Are you kidding me? I could see that from my window.

However, one of their parents worked for Barr & Stroud, (they could do demolitions)... and ergo, my tent was blown up.

We had the army and police there in I suspect, 27 seconds... although the cannabis then was a lot better than now, so it might have been 4 minutes. The explosion took a whole, 'hole' out from the area.

(I occasionally 'stayed over' with the person concerned, and I have never heard the cacophany of blame, since I heard my mother scream at my father : 'you were not supposed to be involved when I won the Pools, you '

I really like The Inbetweeners. It is to be savoured for the reason that it is a)fiction, and b) it is someone else.

And much as we think we are wonderful, we are part of the c) fucking hell, that bit I remember.

Comment

Inbetweeners

Just caught the end of the one where they do drugs. Was very enamored with the tall one's response to the, um, Jewish one's reasons for declining a joint:

"No, I don't think I will."

"Why not?"

"Ooh, what's that thing you get when you smoke..."

"Sex?"

Comment

Inbetweeners

here endeth the lesson. x

Comment

Inbetweeners

Finally got around to seeing the TV series, and while it was excellent, what surprised me was how annoying they were and that they deserved everything that was coming to them - Simon was the only one you felt sorry for, and that's only because he's the only one you'd actually want to be mates with if you were 17 again.

Comment

Inbetweeners

Briefcase wanker? Fuck off

Edit

Speaking of which, I don't know if anyone else lives in SW London, but last Christmas I came across this as I was sat on the train pulling away from Wimbledon:

The 'Wankers' has been scrubbed out now, so it just reads 'Train'. Which sounds a bit Duke of Spastic, frankly

Comment

Inbetweeners

That is unquestionably the best thing ever.

Comment

Inbetweeners

Purves Grundy wrote:
                                              That is unquestionably the best thing ever.
                                              This tops it I feel.

Comment

Inbetweeners

I watched both movies recently. The second was first up, which had only one gag I laughed at in the first 45 minutes, so I stopped right there. But the first movie I thought was just fantastic. And even my mum enjoyed it, incredibly. As soon as it had that line "we decided to ditch this town and go on the holiday of a lifetime.... as soon as we got our parents to pay for it.", she was completely sold.

The scenes with Will and the beautiful, smart blonde woman were great I think  – probably the best female character ever in the Inbetweeners.

Comment

Inbetweeners

The second film was pretty dire. Will's put-down of the hipster-hippie was great, but that's about it. The shit sequence was just that: utter crap. And the ending was just hackneyed; the sort of thing that might work on The Big Bang Theory, but here just exemplified a laziness and poverty of ideas that runs through the whole script.

Mumpo wrote: Was very enamored with the tall one's response to the, um, Jewish one's reasons for declining a joint:
                                                  Neither the character nor the actor are Jewish, as far as I know.

Comment

Inbetweeners

Thoroughly enjoyed watching the set-piece laden series, and the first film was surprisingly funny, but the sequel saw the characters - and the writers - run out of steam.

The sheer drop in quality surprised me, the whole thing seemed rushed, as opposed to the first movie - which was strong throughout - to the point where I think it turned a lot of people onto the series who'd maybe disregarded it first time around, thinking it puerile, where there's a bit more to it.

No chance of the sequel having the same effect though...

Comment

Working...
                                                    X