• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Singles Without Albums

Jumpin Someone Elses Train by The Cure

Comment

Singles Without Albums

Neither "Arnold Layne" nor "See Emily Play" were on The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn.

Comment

Singles Without Albums

I am assuming that at this time of year many acts released singles that never appeared on albums. For example i dont think Another Lonely Christmas by Prince appears on any of his albums except Greatest Hits.

Comment

Singles Without Albums

Rainy Night in Soho - The Pogues

Comment

Singles Without Albums

E10 Rifle wrote:
            Blue Monday isn't on any album is it?
            It appeared on the Collectors Edition of Power, Corruption and Lies in 2008 , but wasn't on the original UK release in 1983.

According to New Order's Wiki page there was a bit of a public backlash against the non-appearance of Blue Monday on said album, so much so that later copies of the album had the sticker on the front cover "Does not contain Blue Monday".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Order

Comment

Singles Without Albums

Tony C wrote:
              Roxy Music 'Pyjamarama'.
              I beat you by nearly two years, TC...

Comment

Singles Without Albums

The Beach Boys' Break Away - though it's subsequently appeared many times on compilations and as a bonus track on reissues.

Comment

Singles Without Albums

Dear God by XTC

Comment

Singles Without Albums

ale wrote:
                    the seemingly interminable wait for the second Clash album saw them release Clash City Rockers & White Man along with I Fought The Law none of which ended up on Give Em Enough Rope...
                    Complete Control and Bankrobber were non-album singles as well. In fact, Complete Control has to be the ultimate albumless single as it was written in protest about CBS deciding to release album track Remote Control as a single.

Comment

Singles Without Albums

Some Ian Dury & The Blockheads singles weren't lifted from albums: What A Waste, Reasons To Be Cheerful, Rythmn Stick all spring to mind. Sex & Drugs also wasn't on the original issue of News Boots And Panties, but that's true of many a bands first records.

Comment

Singles Without Albums

Hang on, Bankrobber is on London Calling, albeit as an unlisted bonus track at the end of side 4. In fact, it must be one of the first ever instances of that.

Comment

Singles Without Albums

Belhaven wrote:
                          Dear God by XTC
                          A borderline case perhaps as it was on North American versions of Skylarking. However, 'Wait 'til Your Boat Goes Down' was never on any of their albums.

Another one: 'The Way You Are' by Tears for Fears.

Comment

Singles Without Albums

Another Bluetones one. Their first single "Are You Blue or Are You Blind?"

And of course, The Walk, Let's Go to Bed and The Lovecats only appeared on "Japanese Whispers" which was billed as a compilation of singles and b-sides from November '82 - November '83 rather than a studio album.

Oddly, they did a video for both The Hanging Garden and A night Like This, which were on the "Standing on a BeachStaring at the Sea" singles compilations, but weren't as far as I'm aware released as singles.

Comment

Singles Without Albums

Another Cure one: "Never Enough"
                              Led Zeppelin's "Hey Hey What Can I Do" wasn't on the Led Zeppelin III album but was the B side to the "Immigrant Song" single, yet it was still really popular, at least on FM radio and on the jukebox in my high school's cafeteria, which was monopolized by the burnouts.

Comment

Singles Without Albums

Has anyone mentioned Love Will Tear Us Apart? That was just a single at first wasn't it?

Comment

Singles Without Albums

Yes. And of course, the wonderful Complete Control.

Some singles don't sit well on albums, do they?

I miss the EP as a format. My friend's working on an album now and I think it would work better as an EP. The "concept" is stretched too far over 10-12 tracks, IMO, but would work fine over 4. But it looks like it will be an album with some filler tracks.

It does sort of translate to download - buy two tracks and get a free bonus - but like the album, the EP as a discrete and complete piece of work is lost, unless it's in a physical package.

On popular B Sides: Satellite, Sex Pistols. Not on NMTB.

Comment

Singles Without Albums

I always preferred I wanna be me, which may be the only rock star whinge song ever to have been any good.

Comment

Singles Without Albums

Purves Grundy wrote:
                                      Hang on, Bankrobber is on London Calling, albeit as an unlisted bonus track at the end of side 4. In fact, it must be one of the first ever instances of that.
                                      That's Train In Vain you're thinking of, innit?

Comment

Singles Without Albums

Um. Yeah. Yeah, it is.

I'll get me coat.

Comment

Singles Without Albums

Chasing Rainbows by Shed Seven.

Don't laugh, it's ace.

Comment

Singles Without Albums

5 Minutes by The Stranglers. That's a pretty good one, as I recall.

Bear Cage by The Stranglers. That's a less good one, as I recall.

Walk on By by The Stranglers. That's a good sort-of one (was given away free as a 7" with initial copies of Black And White, then released as a single proper once they'd all gone).

Comment

Singles Without Albums

Purves Grundy wrote:
                                              I always preferred I wanna be me, which may be the only rock star whinge song ever to have been any good.
                                              They certainly weren't rockstars when they wrote that. Great song, though.

Comment

Singles Without Albums

Gangster Octopus wrote:
                                                Tony C wrote:
                                                Roxy Music 'Pyjamarama'.
                                                I beat you by nearly two years, TC...
                                                Indeed, you did.

I really must read threads from the beginning.

Comment

Singles Without Albums

Many of The Rolling Stones's most famous tracks weren't on albums, at least the UK versions of them rather than the US ones.

This list would include I Wanna be your man, It's all over now, Not Fade Away, The last Time, As Tears Go By, 19th Nervous Breakdown, Ruby Tuesday, We Love You, Jumping Jack Flash and Honky Tonk Woman. Pretty much all singles post Honky were also on albums.

Comment

Singles Without Albums

The brilliant Yellow Submarine cover by Roots Manuva isn't on any of his albums. Which is annoying as I've got it on single sided vinyl but no way to play it.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X