Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Britain to give Sudan £54 million in aid.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It was reported on the 6th January 2010,that Britain is to give Sudan £54 million of aid in the lead up to the April elections.
    The fragile south of Sudan is still ravaged by the lack of water,medical care etc-etc.

How can Britain afford this when the Country is in recession still,with unemployment rising daily,and many feeling the pinch.

Don't get me wrong here,i am all for helping other nations,but would the money not be better spent in this Country.
    We still have severe poverty,deprivation and run down areas that need urgent attention,along with various other issues.

£54 million is an awful amount of money,and i'm sure we,the tax payer,would prefer it spent here.

You'd rather we wait for the situation to deteriorate even further and spend money in the same way we're doing in Afghanistan I take it?

Comment

£54 million is an awful amount of money
      By what comparison?

Comment

54 million spent wisely in Sudan will save many more lives than 54 million spent here.

"Don't get me wrong here,i am all for helping other nations,but would the money not be better spent in this Country."

So, how would you like to help these other nations then?

Comment

Seems cheap at half the price if it helps stop it from becoming another failed state in the region and a haven for terrorists and extremists.

Comment

Wow. 54 million is nothing. And this is a really critical time for Sudan. And Britain must surely bear some responsibility for the legacy of its 19th-20th century military imperialism in the country? Especially the south. And while I do worry that it's about oil now just like it was about control of the Nile then, if anything can be done to prevent further genocide then surely it has to be?

Comment

[I don't want to incur a penalty for piling on, but] I don't think the oft-suggested notion of 'solve every last problem here before we started trying to fix things there' has ever been a particularly successful or even humane way of doing business.

Comment

And, really, 54 million is very, very little by the standards even of international aid. And Sudan is a place that's desperately in need of aid, and where any positive impression from the west has to be very beneficial to us.

Comment

With both Labour and the Tories talking of making cuts this year and in the future,£54 million would help to ease some pressure off over worked services here.

I know Sudan is in a fragile situation,and help is needed there,but i still believe that it is a fair amount of money for Britain to be sending.
                  Our economy is still weak,and with the banks being bailed out earlier with tax payer money,we are not seeing that being passed on.

How much of the aid going to Sudan will actually get to those that are in need of it most?. As i stated,i am all for helping other nations,but we are in a recession at the mo.

Comment

devon wrote:
                    As i stated,i am all for helping other nations...
                    How, then?

Comment

£54 million would help to ease some pressure off over worked services here.
                      Significantly? Less than a quid a person?

Comment

How, then?
                        Letting them watch the Premier League?

Even if you take the totally selfish point of view that as a rich country we should do nothing to help our fellow man in a poorer country - surely you can see it's in the interests of Britain that Sudan doesn't become another failed state that's a haven for terrorists?

Comment

devon wrote:
                          With both Labour and the Tories talking of making cuts this year and in the future,£54 million would help to ease some pressure off over worked services here.

I know Sudan is in a fragile situation,and help is needed there,but i still believe that it is a fair amount of money for Britain to be sending.
                          Our economy is still weak,and with the banks being bailed out earlier with tax payer money,we are not seeing that being passed on.

How much of the aid going to Sudan will actually get to those that are in need of it most?. As i stated,i am all for helping other nations,but we are in a recession at the mo.
                          More than they'll get if we send nothing at all.

Comment

There's a referendum scheduled for 2011 to see if the south finally wants to break away and create it's own nation. Given the recent history of Sudan it's considered by most to be a given that it will.

Comment

I don't agree with Devon, and I'm all for increasing overseas aid, but it's worth asking questions about all donations to other countries: what is it for? who is it going, specifically, to? Why now? How will it help, if at all? That sort of thing.

Comment

Well i do not agree with any of you,sorry to say that. Britain comes first in this i'm afraid. People say that we are a rich Country,well if we are,then why are there still problems here.

The African nations should be helping the Sudan more than us. The liberal 'Save The World' type of people need to look closer to home etc.

Comment

Comment

People say that we are a rich Country,well if we are,then why are there still problems here.

Is there any nation — rich or poor — that doesn't have "problems?" Or believe it does?

Comment

So, if other African countries should help Sudan, Devon do you think that we should give a hand out to Ireland and Iceland and any other European economies that are in a worse state than ours?

Comment

Perhaps this place is more suited to you devon.

Comment

Due to recent events in Africa,i shall not continue with this thread. It is out of order on my part,and respect is due. Sorry to all,and thanks for your replies.

Comment

WTF?

Would you refrain from commenting on events in Britain if somebody got shot in Cyprus?

Comment

Latecomer to this thread and whilst I disagree with devon's 'Charity Begins at Home' opinion I can still see where that is coming from. It's also a popular line that gets trotted out when the beers start flowing.

The problem I have with International Aid is that the job is obviously not getting done properly. Corruption and ineptitude seem to be endemic. It's coming up to 25 years since Live Aid and to say that the state of affairs in the world is back to square one would be flattering.

The solution is to cut out the corruption and run things properly. Alas, as the talking pig that was proceeding horizontally past my window 15 metres in the air pointed out to me, that ain't gonna happen because basically the world is loaded with selfish people, the same sort who say "Charity Begins at home"....mistaking UK definitions of poverty for the real thing.

Comment

Anybody have any idea what the 54M is for? I mean, I can't imagine any of it is going to the government in Khartoum. So is it Darfur money and famine relief? Money for elections in the south?

If the latter, 54M might not go as far as you'd think. The area around Juba is pretty expensive, precisely because there are so many UN types around and people are flooding in from Uganda and other nearby countries to build roads, buildings - and of course, service the oil industry. It's a serious boomtown.

Comment

Are we really in a position to judge other countries governments on corruption. MPs expenses may be nowhere near the amount of corruption of some African countries but, you know, what was the total MP expenses bill last time out? £80 million?

Comment

Working...
                                                  X