No announcement yet.

I've just seen a traumatic advert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Listening to the radio yesterday, I heard that apparently Elton John has just spent 4 days filming for the new John Lewis Xmas ad...

Comment

Sky quite often have adverts cross-promoting with films (especially Pixar ones), which I guess makes sense as the films will be on Sky at some point. Less obvious is the thinking behind the cross-promotion between recruitment company Pertemps and an apparently forthcoming remake of The Grinch.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon G View Post
        Listening to the radio yesterday, I heard that apparently Elton John has just spent 4 days filming for the new John Lewis Xmas ad...
        Is he hard up at the moment? He's in a Snickers advert as well.

Comment

Have we discussed the holiday advert with a cameo from Howard from the Halifax? The guy says 'Wrong advert, Howard'. He should have said 'Wrong fucking decade, Howard!'

Comment

Thankfully I don't have to put up with John Lewis commercials.

"Come And Get Your Love' by Redbone seems to be in at least three ads over here at the moment.I don't begrudge the Vegas boys, or their estates, a few bucks but it does seem to be a lot.

Comment

Why is it in advertising that when someone is working late,they are always on their own in an enormous office. Where's everyone else? Are they being punished?

Comment

Because theirs needs to be the only car in the parking lot in order for the long shots to work

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                  Have we discussed the holiday advert with a cameo from Howard from the Halifax? The guy says 'Wrong advert, Howard'. He should have said 'Wrong fucking decade, Howard!'
                  Well, quite. I'd imagine around 60% of the watching audience wouldn't know what the hell that's all about. And I'd imagine most of the remaining 40% wish they didn't.

Those 'Captain Obvious' ads could be so much better were they actually to employ a decent writer to script them.

Comment

"It's June, Dad."
                    "Hullo, June. Have you seen my parsnip shaped like Michael Parkinson?"

Comment

So there are those really annoying Nationwide adverts with the girl and boy in the photo booth, who might be a couple, or teenage crush on gay friend, or whatever.

Then there's the ad for Gumtree where a couple magic up a sofa and then sit on it. I'm sure the girl on the sofa is the girl from the photo booth. Clearly she's moved on.

Comment

There is a bizarre advert for SAP (no, me neither) doing the rounds fronted by Clive Owen which is based on two incredibly unlikely notions ;

a) that Clive Owen would be widely recognised as an actor nowadays
                        b) that the world's problems such as climate change and the gender gap would be best solved by...er, business.

The first point is reinforced in the extended US version by someone being shoehorned in to directly address Owen by his full name in the hope that it will make the penny drop for viewers :

Last edited by Ray de Galles; 12-10-2018, 12:46.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                          There is a bizarre advert for SAP (no, me neither)
                          It's why TSG 1899 Hoffenheim are where they are.

Comment

"Mainstream" adverts for the likes of SAP, Oracle, Salesforce, AWS, etc all seem to me to be aimed at elevating the brand into the "no one ever got fired for buying IBM" position in the minds of corporate honchos.

I wouldn't think that they have any impact whatsoever on actual IT professionals, but there are enough here to tell me if I'm wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                              So there are those really annoying Nationwide adverts with the girl and boy in the photo booth, who might be a couple, or teenage crush on gay friend, or whatever.

Then there's the ad for Gumtree where a couple magic up a sofa and then sit on it. I'm sure the girl on the sofa is the girl from the photo booth. Clearly she's moved on.
                              Those photo booth ads are so insufferably smug.

Comment

Originally posted by Lymeswold Snork View Post
                                "It's June, Dad."
                                "Hullo, June. Have you seen my parsnip shaped like Michael Parkinson?"
                                This one has become my favourite, I see it a lot as Mrs D watches an inordinate amount of ITV3, UK Drama, Alibi and other channels seemingly aimed at the mature audience.

Lots of questions though. Is daughter just visiting, or does she live there? Could she not have taken the misdelivered letter from June, or did June demand to be let through, and if so, why?
                                We see Dad, but is there a Mum too? In the follow up ad with the parsnips, he mentions "we" are possibly making parsnip jam, but if so, why do we never see the Mrs?

Are we meant to be thinking Dad and June are at it?

Comment

Turns out the Nationwide photo booth "pals" are both poets. Not sure if Laurie, the girl, is also on the Gumtree advert, because googling her felt stalkerish.

Comment

Thanks for the warning.

Comment

The latest Nespresso ad has followed in the footsteps of Budweiser by opting for a horrendous medieval theme. They've dragged in Natalie Dormer to share in Clooney's humiliation.

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
                                        This one has become my favourite, I see it a lot as Mrs D watches an inordinate amount of ITV3, UK Drama, Alibi and other channels seemingly aimed at the mature audience.

Lots of questions though. Is daughter just visiting, or does she live there? Could she not have taken the misdelivered letter from June, or did June demand to be let through, and if so, why?
                                        We see Dad, but is there a Mum too? In the follow up ad with the parsnips, he mentions "we" are possibly making parsnip jam, but if so, why do we never see the Mrs?

I'm wondering what Dad is doing with those binoculars and if there's a restraining order on the way

Comment

I cannot begin to tell you how much I detest that piece of sh*t song on the Samsung Galaxy ad.

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
                                            What do you think they use the parsnip for?

Comment

I'm not sure it's really a traumatic "advert", but I've now seen three trailers for a TV show called "God Friended Me", which appears to be literally what it says in the title. It's really hard not to do some real damage when I see it.

Comment

You need to recover physically soon, before you trash everything in your newly-orderly abode

Comment

Entropy is powerful, my newly ordered abode is already beginning to revert. But avoiding CBS trailers will slow its course.

Comment

Couple of things:

1) That car ad with Paloma Faith - the one where whispering voices are berating her ('she can't sing!', etc): I mean, are people saying that? If so, I've never heard it. She seems fine as a person and quite jolly as a presence, but she's as much a darling of the mainstream as any of 'em, isn't she? I've certainly never viewed her as any kind of outsider, but that could be me of course.

2) Every ad - whether billboard, TV or magazine - that employs a chimpanzee, gorilla or any kind of primate to help sell its wares, will use a line pertaining to 'monkeying around'. Every single one.

That's it really. Slow Tuesday here.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X