No announcement yet.

I've just seen a traumatic advert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, seen that. Haven't partaken. The address was not 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.

Comment

They have enough shit there.

Comment

Just seen an advert for pasta at Tesco with Sarah Millican pronouncing "tagliatelle" in the completely wrong way. How do things like that get through the various stages of production?

Comment

God alone knows. They probably thought it was part of her shtick, or something.

Why would a commercial be inviting one to 'sh*t in a box and post it'? More detail needed here. (Well, 'a little more', perhaps...)

Comment

Originally posted by Squarewheelbike View Post
            Just seen an advert for pasta at Tesco with Sarah Millican pronouncing "tagliatelle" in the completely wrong way. How do things like that get through the various stages of production?
            Yeah, if it's part of her schtick, that's one thing. But it's also possible they chose to pronounce it the way they figured 'most' people would understand it. If most of their base pronounce it wrong, why risk being misunderstood by pronouncing it right.

Comment

JW it's for a product called Cologuard. You are invited to send a, er, sample, in a box, through UPS or FedEx or somebody to company premises where it will be tested or screened or whatever for signs of colon cancer. For a fee. Who needs doctors, eh?

Health care costs in America are an obscenity, true, but really...

Comment

Ah, I see. How to make a fairly routine procedure as unwieldy and awkward as possible.

WOM: That's pretty much what I was angling at a couple of hours before (except that I spelt 'shtick' correctly - smiley thing) - however, I can tell you that nobody pronounces 'tagliatelle' like that o'er this side o' the pond.

Well, perhaps some do, but I'm afraid they need to have things explained to them very clearly in darkened parking lots.

Comment

Sky Mobile are currently running an ad involving beach scenes of kids frolicking in the waves on a summery beach, extolling the virtues of their data plan.

The accompanying music?

"Wouldn't It Be Nice?" by The Beach Boys.

A song about how great it would be if a teenager could have a shag with his girlfriend and then not have to leave afterwards, like an actual adult.

Bit weird, that.

Comment

Given that it's promoting something as anti-social as watching TV on a tiny screen instead of engaging with your friends in even the most basic manner, yes.

Comment

I'm sure I had another point to that but it was late, and I can't remember what it was.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                        I can tell you that nobody pronounces 'tagliatelle' like that o'er this side o' the pond.
                        How does she pronounce it? I've heard "tag-lee-at-tell", "tag-lee-at-tell-er" and "tay-LEE-a-telly" on this side of the pond.

Comment

Just had a flashback to this load of old shite I ended up watching millions of times a day during the World Cup. Not traumatic as such, just utterly terrible.

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
                            "Wouldn't It Be Nice?" by The Beach Boys.

A song about how great it would be if a teenager could have a shag with his girlfriend and then not have to leave afterwards, like an actual adult.
                            This had completely passed me by, despite having heard the thing in passing over the years as often as anybody else.

Comment

The current Confused.com ad with the smug git driving a car through a crowded city spouting a Bill Hicks fan's idea of clever wears thin pretty quickly, and the expensive wanker's show reel production just adds to that.

Comment

I love Serena Williams too, but 4 different adverts... and one of them is "Mama's Gonna Knock You Out", and you know....

Comment

Originally posted by Squarewheelbike View Post
                                  They seem to have removed a large chunk of the mispronouciation in recent days.

Comment

Waitrose and John Lewis can get to fuck.

How dare they take Bohemian Rhapsody and destroy it like they have. Disgraceful and deliberately over the top.

Oh, and it's 2 and half mins long:

Comment

Seconded Simon G.

And that stupid immature Ladbrokes ad with the bloke from The Inbetweeners dressed as some kind of alien/astronaut.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon G View Post
                                        How dare they take Bohemian Rhapsody and destroy it like they have.
                                        More to the point, why inflict that bloody song on people yet again? I mean, hasn't it had every ounce of life throttled from it - either in its original form, or via the relentless cover versions - in the four decades since it emerged?

Nobody in ad-land has the imagination or creative scope to dig any deeper, obviously.

Edit: Any commercial that nods to The Inbetweeners, in either content or casting, can f*** right off, as well.
                                        Last edited by Jah Womble; 08-09-2018, 08:46.

Comment

In my old job, I once persuaded my nominal superior to use The Fall's "Hot Aftershave Bop" as the background music to some video they'd knocked together to promote the Mini Cooper S.

When they showed it to the client, the BMW marketing bloke (who, despite being younger than me, had the BMW Marketing Aura that always made their staff seem 20 years older than they were) said, "That's by that group who made "Shiny Happy People", isn't it? What are they called now? It's on the tip of my tongue. Come on, come on, com ... MIDNIGHT OIL!"

Comment

Just seen that for the first time, and it's every bit as awful as described above. If you want the perfect example of a company that's disappeared up its own arse, look no further than John Lewis.

Comment

So they’re extending their ‘Xmas ad’ marketing strategy across the year? To be honest I was intrigued by it in the cinema yesterday, made a change from SUV ads. And that song takes the piss out of itself so I see no sacred untouchable status.

Comment

Nope, it's not untouchable. Just done to f***ing death.

Comment

I think it’s great.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                                    Nope, it's not untouchable. Just done to f***ing death.
                                                    And, as SdR alludes to above, the company and their marketing strategy can f***ing do one, frankly.

I mean, if we get this in exchange for them producing yet another self-important Christmas ad with some breathy, drippy desecration of a classic song leaking all over it, then I could happily accept it. But they'll guaranteed inflict one of those on us as well before you can turn around. Bleh.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X