I've just seen a traumatic advert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I couldn't get that out of my head for about a week after seeing The Man Who Stare at Goats

Comment

Abandon all hope . . .

Television advertising featuring ex-Liverpool and Tottenham footballer Jamie Redknapp and his wife Louise, the former pop star, frolicking at a sun-drenched resort was credited with helping generate robust summer bookings for holiday firm Thomas Cook.

The tour operator told the City that the ads had boosted demand during the peak sales spell in late January.

Comment

Well they looked so happy on there package holiday in Benidorm. The holidaying public found such joy infectious.

Comment

Yes, probably from people jetting off trying to get away from those appalling adverts.

Comment

I would like to take sole credit, by the way, for the fact that the Jamie & Louise ad was heavily featured in TV Watch in this month's WSC.

Anyway, a black mark against Pizza Hut, who've gone one better from their stupid 'Hut?' ads by - ooooooooh yes - putting a CGI'd baby acting like an adult in their latest TV ad.

First Evian, now Pizza Hut. What further (hardly painful) boycotts to follow? Is this going to be the irritating new trend of 2010?

Comment

Yoplait can fuck right off.

There is a woman with a ridiculous french accent who complains about how her yoghurt always tasted sour but the new Yoplait product doesn't. The advert even shows her tasting a bit of her old yoghurt and she screws her face up like a piece of paper because it's just so nasty tasting. Even ignoring the horrible, horrible conceit that because Yoplait sells itself on being French the adverts must have an awful French-type voice over my main concern is that, do you know what?

Yoghurt?

It tastes slightly sour.

It's a food item made from fermenting milk. It will naturally taste a little bit sharp. It's part of the joys of eating yoghurt. It's what makes it so good in cooking. It has a rich creamy texture with a hint of something else. If you don't like the taste of plain yoghurt, then eat something else.

Comment

The new Gillette ad has the most hilarious American to English dubbing I've ever seen.

Comment

The 'garage' one, you mean? If so, yep, that's a corker. But all this dubbing of American ads to persuade viewers such an ad was filmed in Hounslow is and always was a bit of an intelligence-insulting piss-take – unless there are some poor wretches in this country who’ve grown up with a speech defect that makes them sound as if they’re standing close to a microphone in a cupboard. I'd rather they'd go the whole hog and dub them in voices reminiscent of bad 1930's posh drawing room dramas.

Customer: I say, old chap, sorry for intruding into your spiffing Cockney environment and all that, but is that jolly big shaver a rattling good guarantee all-round for maximum comfort and smoothness?

Garage mechanic: Lawks, yes, sir, blimey. I'll go as far as to say that it's the best shave from here to Bow Bells, and it'll suit you, what with you bein' such a charming gentleman of fine breeding and all that. ‘Ere, sir, would you like to wipe your feet on my groin?

Customer: Why, I’ll do just that. And after you’ve finished, I’ll have all those other shavers for nothing, and then I’ll have the police arrest you and all your families for living in the East End!

Garage mechanic: Gawd bless ya, sir, I wouldn’t have it any other way! (Sings) Jellied eels, ‘Arry Redknapp, Jack The Ripper, Dick Van Dyke, boiled beef and carrots…

What's even better (or worse) about that ad is the look on the face of the mechanic at the end - 'yeah, bozo, you want somethin'?' - that could only come from American television (an British mechanic would, presumably, nod politely or give a cheeky wink).

Comment

Magnificent, Ian.

In Gilette's defence, it was probably put together in a hurry after two of their previous campaign's stars decided to 'cheat' (in wildly different ways).

It's Roger Federer I feel sorry for...

Comment

In Gilette's defence, it was probably put together in a hurry after two of their previous campaign's stars decided to 'cheat' (in wildly different ways).

Cheers, Cav. I'm actually glad they dropped that particular campaign because the continual theme - innocent bloke looking for a close shave physically and psychologically victimised by three smug wealthy superstars - got on my tits, and it'd be nice if there was a Curse Of Gillette accorded to any celeb appearing in them. If such consequences were assured, a telly ad campaign featuring, say, Peter Andre would be quite welcome.

Comment

I was sort of coming to terms with the Iggy insurance ads but then they introduced the puppet. Why? What was missing with the previous ones that they thought would be imprvoed by a puppet?

Comment

That puppet is unwatchably creepy. Its little skinny arms are like something out of a nightmare.

Comment

Sky are going full on with their HD packages. Fair enough. But their branding of National Geographic, probably the best reason to want HD, to NatGeo makes me as mad as hell.

Like the Creme Egg ad where the egg tries to run through Newton's Cradle. Short and sweet (unlike the creme egg, why do I always get the hollow ones?)

Comment

I don't think anything's been mentioned so far that's as traumatic as this.

Comment

Bored of Education wrote:
                                I was sort of coming to terms with the Iggy insurance ads but then they introduced the puppet. Why? What was missing with the previous ones that they thought would be imprvoed by a puppet?
                                They should show these Iggy ads in schools, "Kids if you do heroin you will go through all of your money and then have to embarass yourself when you're older to make some cash".

I'm pretty sick of the fucking meerkat car insurance ads. Gone way past overkill.

Comment

ian.64 wrote:

Cheers, Cav. I'm actually glad they dropped that particular campaign because the continual theme - innocent bloke looking for a close shave physically and psychologically victimised by three smug wealthy superstars - got on my tits, and it'd be nice if there was a Curse Of Gillette accorded to any celeb appearing in them. [/quote]
                                  I agree with this. I always found the idea that three of the greatest sports stars on the planet would apparently hang around in mens toilets chuckling at the shaving habits of the little people before pelting them with various types of balls slightly disturbing.

Comment

I keep meaning to mention the Envirofone ads here as well. Advertising an allegedly environmentally friendly way to sell your unwanted mobile to someone, they start with a normal enough looking person asking, 'Have you got a mobile phone?'

Next is a cheerful if slightly forcefully amused chap who enquires, seemingly whilst laughing to camera for some reason; 'D'you want some money for it?'

But it's the next participant who gets me every time. He'd fit the nickname one Argentine football commentator once gave to Wayne Rooney, 'pork head'. He gurns to the camera, one eye seemingly pop open more widely than the other, and demands of the viewer in an exaggerated cockney accent; 'Some dosh? SOME WONGA?!'

It's enough to make one think, if that's the environmentally friendly way of disposing of one's phone then frankly, fuck the environment.

Comment

I think if an abrasive mock-Cockney accent was used to flog everything on television, you'd be pretty pissed off with every brand going. Even ads promoting health and awareness would be a bloody trial.

"'Ere, mate! Fahsands of people are dyin' every fackin' day 'cos of them geezers what go speedin' wiv their birds in cars and hit dem poor sods what don't know anyfin abaht it!

Dahn't be a CAHNT - keep your meat pies to the frahnt!'

Comment

Hahaha! That is a great slogan.

I don't care what Rod Liddle thinks of you Ian - you're great.

Comment

This 'WONGA' guy... I thought he was that Australian geezer who was a 'DJ' at some point?

Comment

Speaking of things Mockney, this is the advert for Toolstation. if it wasn't for the fact that they support non-league football, I'd happily recommend firebombing every Toolstation branch in the country for that pile of garbage.

Comment

'Supporting' non-league, Sean? Don't you mean dragging its name through the gutter by association?

Comment

Sean of the Shed wrote:
                                                Speaking of things Mockney, this is the advert for Toolstation. if it wasn't for the fact that they support non-league football, I'd happily recommend firebombing every Toolstation branch in the country for that pile of garbage.
                                                "Toolstation".

They picked "Toolstation" as the name of the business?

Why?

Had someone beaten them to "The Tosser Shed"?

Comment

evilC wrote:
                                                  The ones that really get on my tits at the moment aren't the short ones, they're the Churchill ones and the BT 'mini-series'. God, how I hate that couple!
                                                  I've been watching quite a bit of the IPL on ITV4 and the latest slice of the BT saga is on at pretty much every opportunity and fucking loathsome it is as well. The father of the kids is in this one for those who haven't seen it.

It still isn't as annoying as the Dove advert. It's the one where someones life is described in 30 seconds to the tune of the William Tell Overture.

It's the frequency of them which is the worst thing about having cricket back on my TV. Apart from having Ronnie Irani as a studio guest of course.

Comment

Anyone else find it weird that one of those mobile phone recycling companies (Envirophone?) is using the posh bloke from "Test Match Special" (Henry Blofeld?) to do the voiceover?

I can't think of anyone less appropriate for that advert, it's very odd.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X