Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've just seen a traumatic advert

gérontophile wrote:
    No way in hell is that not Photoshopped – tell me it's a hoax, géro, right? Apart from anything else, the giveaway surely is that in 1964 they'd have known to use the grammatically correct IT'S not ITS.

Comment

My initials are WD. That's my 40th birthday party invitations sorted.

Comment

"Two tickets to the love train"

Shut up, Subway

Comment

I am fairly sure it's a fake. I think it must be, because the product is WD-40 with a hyphen.

Comment

two months after starting with Diet Chef, Cheryl meets her former self

That's some freaky shit right there. What kind of E numbers are they putting in that stuff?

Also, hope Lidl bring that vacant arse Scharna to the abbatoir to complete the whole tour.

Comment

Has anyone mentioned the Club Wembley adverts on the sidebar?

Comment

It's a pleasant enough logo. But surely relying on blind curiosity for my click is a proven bad strategy.

Comment

I keep wondering why a stylised Roundhead helmet crops up there. Are they suggesting that the team which plays at Wembley are plodding, dreary, fun hating puritans? Or that they hate the monarchy?

Comment

To paraphrase John Peel, a crap advert from the 70s evokes its period more vividly than a great film. If want to know how ghastly the 80s was, check out the adverts as well as the Spandau Ballet videos.
                    I have occasion to show a channel 4 docu about May 68 which was broadcast in '88. It's now a dvd copy of the VHS original, but the ads are still there. Whenever I show it, the students squeal delightedly at the ads and insist I show them in full rather than FF through them.

Rumbelow's, Halifax, Bisto, Pedigree Chum....at least one brilliant local car showroom ad (local to the West Mids, where I recorded it, that is) like the ones you got in the cinema- stills, smiling man in suit, voiceover- 'Make it Jack Wilson for your new Ford!'

Comment

Current Vanarama ad gets on my tits: Essex-white-van 'characters' and the tune to which the Ingerlund knuckleheads sing 'No Surrender' being whistled jauntily in the background.

Am I not their demographic?

Comment

It used to be confined to TalkShite, that ad. The station of Alan Brazil and any other number of dodgy cockwits.
                        It's so boorish it'd make Keith Allen wince.

Comment

Felicity, I guess so wrote: Current Vanarama ad gets on my tits: Essex-white-van 'characters' and the tune to which the Ingerlund knuckleheads sing 'No Surrender' being whistled jauntily in the background.

Am I not their demographic?
                          What's their angle? Would you not just go to the respective dealership of the van you wish to buy/lease?

Comment

Yeah, the Vanarama ad calls to mind that dismal (but much-recalled) stereotyping Bird's Eye Dalesteak commercial with the "we 'o-ope it's chips, it's chips!" pay-off jingle.

But that at least had the excuse of having been made in the seventies.

Comment

Rumbelow's, Halifax, Bisto, Pedigree Chum....at least one brilliant local car showroom ad (local to the West Mids, where I recorded it, that is) like the ones you got in the cinema- stills, smiling man in suit, voiceover- 'Make it Jack Wilson for your new Ford!'

Speak to West Midlanders of a certain age and they'll nod with a slight nostalgic remembrance of the words 'Don Amott, King of Caravans' or 'Beer at home means Davenports'. Ah, cheap, cheerful, no-frills reminders of a simple age.

Comment

I'm more of a Banks's: unspoilt by progress kinda guy

Comment

Felicity, I guess so wrote: Rumbelow's, Halifax, Bisto, Pedigree Chum...
                                  Been trying to make those words fit that Fast Food Rockers song...

Comment

Jah Womble wrote:
                                    Originally posted by Felicity, I guess so
                                    Rumbelow's, Halifax, Bisto, Pedigree Chum...
                                    OH THANKS FOR REMINDING ME OF THAT

Comment

ian.64 wrote:
                                      Speak to West Midlanders of a certain age and they'll nod with a slight nostalgic remembrance of the words 'Don Amott, King of Caravans' or 'Beer at home means Davenports'. Ah, cheap, cheerful, no-frills reminders of a simple age.
                                      Leave it, leave it to Lee, exceptiona-Lee Longlands.

Don Amott is still alive and kicking: he sponsors one of the stands at Championship newbies Burton Albion.

Jah Womble wrote:
                                      I was going with Paninaro:

Bisto, Bisto, B-B-B-Bisto...

Comment

Whitbread, big head, trophy bitter; the pint that thinks its a quart.

Comment

Don Amott is still alive and kicking: he sponsors one of the stands at Championship newbies Burton Albion.

I'm strangely heartened to hear about that.

Okay, everrrybodehh...!

Beer at home means Davenports!
                                          That's the beer, lots of cheer!
                                          The finest malt with hops and yeast,
                                          turns a snack into a feast!
                                          Straight from brewery to your home!
                                          Why collect? We'll deliver!
                                          Soon, you'll know why folks all say,
                                          beer at home means Davenports!

Funny. I can't give you an impromptu rendition of any popular rock or pop song, but I didn't have to Google the above at all.

Comment

Good old John Marston
                                            A great Victorian bloke
                                            He gave us Marstons
                                            In casks of something something oak
                                            Brewed the Burton union way
                                            Up until the present day
                                            Good old John Marston'S
                                            Something something something -ay!

Probably should have googled it...

Comment

"The finest ale in casks of oak"

From memory not Google

Comment

ian.64 wrote: Beer at home means Davenports!
                                                That's the beer, lots of cheer!
                                                The finest malt with hops and yeast,
                                                turns a snack into a feast!
                                                Straight from brewery to your home!
                                                Why collect? We'll deliver!
                                                Soon, you'll know why folks all say,
                                                beer at home means Davenports!
                                                The jingle writer there clearly gave up trying to make it rhyme after the third line...

Comment

Crusoe wrote:
                                                  Originally posted by Jah Womble
                                                  Originally posted by Felicity, I guess so
                                                  Rumbelow's, Halifax, Bisto, Pedigree Chum...
                                                  OH THANKS FOR REMINDING ME OF THAT
                                                  I was thinking more the Manic's 'Natwest-Barclays-Midlands-Lloyds'

Keep it Punk!

Comment

ian.64 wrote:
                                                    https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/8c/e0/99/8ce099878bfafc5931cd6644aa66b8c1.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                                    X