Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've just seen a traumatic advert

George at asda wrote:
    Anybody who listened to local radio in Yorkshire over the last decade, will have heard the adverts for Coldseal Windows. I rest my case.
    Wasn't it Coral Windows? (of Coral Windows Stadium fame, no less)

Comment

Definitely Coldseal Windows. They appear to have gone under quite recently as well.

This is beginning to stray from the original premise of this thread but there was much mirth indeed on viewing the first advert in this clip, for obvious reasons.

(Spot the fellow OTF'er)

Comment

Fair enough. It's been a fair while since I lived in Yorkshire; maybe the Coral ads were just local to the Bradford area.

Comment

Yeah, Coldseal might have been South Yorkshire only, with Coral being it's equally dreadful equivalent in the West.

Comment

George at asda wrote:
            This is beginning to stray from the original premise of this thread but there was much mirth indeed on viewing the first advert in this clip, for obvious reasons.
            That is magnificent. And for some reason, possibly the most sober set of comments I've ever read on YouTube right underneath it.

I actually thought I'd been unfair on the Thomas Cook ad when I got up this morning. It can't have been as bad as I imagined it, I thought - I'd had it on in the background whilst browsing OTF right before mentioning it on here, so maybe it wasn't that annoying after all.

But at various points during the FA Cup games today, and through the evening, I've seen it about 10 or 15 times today, and it gets more excruciating every time.

What someone else said about Webuyanycar (dotcom). The fact that it's ruthlessly effective just makes it more annoying, although the first time I saw it I remember pissing myself laughing because I couldn't believe they'd have thought such a dreadful thing worthwhile.

Comment

And for some reason, possibly the most sober set of comments I've ever read on YouTube right underneath it.

The last of them being by a Mr Carmody.

Comment

Cavalry Trouser Tips wrote:
                George at asda wrote:
                Anybody who listened to local radio in Yorkshire over the last decade, will have heard the adverts for Coldseal Windows. I rest my case.
                Safestyle, surely?

I seh yer baaah one, yer get one free.
                Is that the one with the beardy bloke in the cape? (edit: When on telly.)

Comment

Oh I love We buy any car... dot com! It's adorable.

Comment

I have to agree with Etienne that the We Buy Any Car one is remarkably effective for its... errr, 'minimal' substance. I doubt that it's even 30 seconds long. Personally, I don't find it that annoying, either.

The ones that really get on my tits at the moment aren't the short ones, they're the Churchill ones and the BT 'mini-series'. God, how I hate that couple!

Comment

The meerkats thing has now gone on long enough.

Comment

Also, what's with McDonalds latest ad - "one pound, otherwise known as one bob"? Fahking iggerant caaaants!
                        This. Really boiling my piss at the moment.

Comment

Long time twat adds to his resume.

Comment

Any idea why the commenting function has been disabled?

I enjoyed this piece by David Mitchell in the Obs on Sunday.

pedantry & adverts

Comment

I suspect that the sheer weight of bile and general hatred aimed at this person would have blown YouTube apart.

Comment

That Jamie and Louise advert is bullshit as well. Everyone knows they're loaded, so all they do when they want a holiday is get one of their people to make a couple of calls and they fly out when they want to wherever they want.

Normal people have to put deposits down, save up, scrabble around 50 websites wondering if it will be worth it in the long run to save £30 per person flying with Air Kazakhstan among poultry etc.

It's the ultimate "fuck you, we've got money and you haven't" advert right now. The thing is, she hasn't done anything of note in years and he is the worst slack-jawed tosser of a pundit to pitch up next to Richard Keys I have ever seen.

Comment

I went to anfield on september 8th 2001 to see liverpool getting stuffed at home by aston villa, Peter Schmeichel Intimidated liverpool, dudek watched three unstoppable goals rocket past him, and steven gerrard got a red card for one of the worst tackles I've ever seen. But the funniest part of the day was when at half time They put on louise Redknapp's new single "Stuck in the middle with you" on the speakers and dedicated it to jamie redknapp. It was fucking hilarious.

Comment

Etienne wrote:
                                    I don't enjoy watching it, but We Buy Any Car has at least achieved the job of making everyone in the country aware of the company, what they do and what their website is with practically no expense spent.
                                    I'm unaware of this ad and I think I watch quite a lot of TV.

I'm happy in my ignorance, mind, don't enlighten me.

Comment

Harry: really?

Lyra: really?!

The Lovejoy one's astonishing. You can't help wondering why they just didn't get him to go 'I know piss all about football, but with the pools, that's no obstacle to gambling on it all the same!'

Comment

sw2boro wrote:
                                        I enjoyed this piece by David Mitchell in the Obs on Sunday.

pedantry & adverts
                                        He's about the only columnist I see who regularly matches Wingco's standard...

The most dispiriting new word to be coined in 2009 is, in my opinion, "simples". It's not a new PC term for window-lickers...
                                        For those unaware of comparethemarket.com's TV campaign, let me explain that it features a fictional website called comparethemeerkat.com, whose Russian-accented meerkat proprietor is supposedly disconcerted by the number of hits his site is getting from car insurance customers with no interest in his unspecified meerkat-based services. Presumably these surfers also have Russian accents and voice-activated web-browsers, as that's the only way I can imagine the confusion arising.

Comment

The Brand Power sauce one is appalling.

Comment

Webuyanycar have a new one! With dancers and stuff... same song, though. My word...

Comment

Just seen the Halifax Radio Station one and we have a new winner. I prefer the ones that offer to buy your gold

Comment

I think the new Halifax ads were devised by Howard in order to get him off the hook.

Comment

I like the new webuyanycardotcom ad. I think I may have to stop making models of stuff, quite quickly...

Comment

I have yet to see it but apparently Dale Winton as done one of those 'flog us yer gold' adverts. Times must be hard.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X