I've just seen a traumatic advert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure if this counts as an advert, but it's definitely promo horror...

While walking to the Job Centre earlier I happened to glance into the window of a betting shop, only to recoil aghast at the sight of a grinning Robbie Savage in swimming trunks. I may have to take a different route next time.

Comment

Come to light side, Eggo...feel your way...

I've just seen an advert for Dulux with one of those loely Dulux dogs on with a light piece of music playing - then realised it was the theme from "The Littlest Hobo" and I'm overcome with worry - did that poor dog ever make it back to his owner? I could never watch it as I found the whole premise too upsetting and the music makes me feel so sad inside.

Comment

Oh my: Luis Figo advertising 'Just For Men' (which if anyone doesnt know, stops you being grey-haired).

Now, thats fine, and he actually isnt a wanker in it, but it would have been a lot better if he had thrown some down his trousers, and got to the REAL male problem with hair (other than the ear sprouting thing).

Comment

bovril wrote:
          anyone on here ever been really embarrassed by an employers advert?
          Not an employer as such, but regarding those 'be a teacher' ads, I always felt Armstrong and Miller saw what most people probably see.

Comment

While flicking through the channels Saturday night, I came across one of the X-Men films. The scene was Magneto urging other mutants to come together and be proud of their differences.
            It then went to a commercial break, and the first ad was google/youtube urging gays to come together and be proud of their differences....

Comment

Nadia Sawalha may be promoting awareness for diabetes care of Lloyds Pharmacy, all well and good. But my health takes a drastic turn for the worse whenever I hear her fucking voice.

And why has More Than a Feeling been replaced by Downtown on the same Barclaycard advert featuring what looks like Paul Giamatti's kid brother?

Comment

Anyone seen that hipster-tastic advert for new look, where the camera is panning around various groups of impossibly trendy people who are looking all cool and groovy.

It's a wonderful place, where everyone who is a bit chunky, or skinny, or weird looking, or aged over 25 is mercifully executed to enable the beautiful people carte blanche to par-tay.

Comment

Isn't that all adverts?

Comment

Simon wrote:
                    While flicking through the channels Saturday night, I came across one of the X-Men films. The scene was Magneto urging other mutants to come together and be proud of their differences.
                    It then went to a commercial break, and the first ad was google/youtube urging gays to come together and be proud of their differences....

Comment

Seen that advert featuring the Manchester United squad whacking a ball around the compartment of a plane? It's nice to know that advertising executives still live in this alternative universe where everybody, ever, in the whole wide world, is a Manchester United fan and will, of course, book a flight on an aircraft because Rooney & Co. were seen lamping a ball under the noses of air-stewardesses.

Cunts.

Comment

Eh? That's old, surely.

By which I mean, I saw it on the telly in the UK before I moved out here, in April last year. Not that that excludes it from this thread, or anything. Just thought I'd say.

Comment

Well, it was on last week and in its short time still had the power to annoy. It had that ghastly feel whereby some ad-wanker simply thought that any commodity sells if you just stick a bunch of famous, (and not terribly likeable) self-satisfied buggers in it.

Ooh, I'm in a right strop, me.

Comment

The Man Utd advert is on heavy rotation on yer CNBC and Bloomberg's of the world. Clearly the high flying business class customer is impressed with such nonse-sense.

Anybody heard that diabolical new Budweiser advert on the radio?

Comment

ian.64 wrote:
                              Well, it was on last week and in its short time still had the power to annoy. It had that ghastly feel whereby some ad-wanker simply thought that any commodity sells if you just stick a bunch of famous, (and not terribly likeable) self-satisfied buggers in it.

Ooh, I'm in a right strop, me.
                              Ah, agreed on that.

Incidentally I could be populating this thread with the Argentine government propaganda we get at half time of all the Primera División football games here - they bought most of the advertising rights after being unable to sell them via the public TV channels after stealing the matches from TyC Sports. The latest one has a song that, even if I didn't consider it a gross insult to the memories of those killed by the junta (the movement to replace the generals with democratic rule used the slogan Nunca Más, and this is in clear homage to it), would still be incredible.

Fortunately it doesn't appear to be on YouTube, so I can't subject you all to it.

Comment

I'm going to miss the Tour de France now it's gone, but one aspect of it that I won't miss is the super-annoying selection of ads that filled every break. The worst offender was the awful Skoda advert with the sub-U2 Emo-tantrum soundtrack. Latterly, the Nissan Juke advert took over the top of the 'irritation charts', with that music which sounds like a nightmarish cross between Cocteau Twins and the Sea Captain from The Simpsons.

"Twinkle... twinkle... little YARRRRRR!!!"

So annoying it's been my current earworm all morning. Gah!

Comment

The one consolation of missing most of Le Tour's live coverage and relying on highlights, was avoiding those god-awful ad breaks. They had the lot - Go Compare, Meerkats, Chris Fucking Marshall stringing out another BT commercial, and the usual pretentious motor ads that tv executives love to wank themselves over (oddly, I didn't actually mind that Skoda one).

However I did laugh (!) at that trailer for Boardman bikes which says, "Yellow - it's not a colour, but a state of mind".

Comment

Latterly, the Nissan Juke advert took over the top of the 'irritation charts', with that music which sounds like a nightmarish cross between Cocteau Twins and the Sea Captain from The Simpsons.

I might've mentioned that a long time earlier in this thread, the bug bear of which was the tinkly, fey and annoying plinky-plonky feel of said tune totally contrary to the visuals, but this time, possibly because the previous musical treatment felt slow and anaemic, they've jazzed it up a bit.

Doesn't improve it one bit, though.

Comment

I still love the Meerkats adverts. Sorry.

I see those cunts at wonga.com have now got some hilarious pensioner puppets to spread their brand of legalised loansharking.

Comment

Dunno if this is more or less creepy than the last one, but still quite unsettling.

Somewhere there's now real puppies out of work, trying to claim pitiful allowances and having to peddle crack to make ends meet!

Comment

There is an advert on ESPN (UK version) regularly, which is about this exclusive chain of hotels and cruises...

and then you find its something called SPG... (which to all Brits is both the name of the old 'Special Police Group; with guns, and a certain jock hamster in the Young Ones)

Doesn't bode well....

Comment

I presume you've all seen the latest T-Mobile ad where parking tickets are left on windscreens and the film people's reaction before realising that it actually contains money? Hilarious, eh? I actually got one of these tickets in the car park at Star City in Birmingham (I really did), it had a £5 note in it. I put it towards calltime on my O2 pay and go phone.
                                            Fuck you T-Mobile, and every single person in your cunty annoying flash-mobs.

Comment

That is indeed hilarious. (I am being sarcastic.)

Speaking of flash mobs, there's an add for a smartphone or a mobile network or something at the moment in Latin America in which a bloke is standing in a shopping centre and suddenly breaks out into a fit of very bad dancing, with everyone walking past looking at him like he's a weirdo. Then he takes his phone out and sees a message saying 'Flash mob moved to 12:30'. It actually made me laugh the first time I saw it, but I'm fucked if I can remember who it's advertising.

Comment

I've only just seen the Bet365 Ray Winstone 'Floating Head' advert for the first time (at halftime in the Chelsea game on ITV). I'd just never been looking at the TV when it had been on, previously.

Now, unfortunately, I can't find better images for either, but the likeness to the cover of an old edition of Dennis Wheatley's 'Strange Conflict' - in both composition, subject matter and sheer creepiness - is striking:

-

-

-

Comment

For a split second after that image loaded, I thought that was Julio Grondona, Clive.

Comment

I don't know what government anti-smoking adverts on TV are like in other countries... in Australia we have some fairly awful ones-

A group of people are having a good time at a barbecue. A bloke suddenly starts coughing up blood. Guess what, he's got lung cancer. And... a woman is talking on the phone in front of her young kids. Her face suddenly goes grim as she looks despairingly at the children. Yes, her doctor has just informed her that she's got lung cancer.

I gave up smoking 24 years ago and they still scare me....

Comment

Working...
                                                    X