No announcement yet.

I've just seen a traumatic advert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's a long running coffee ad where a man is in an amphitheatre talking to everyone he's ever met, as herself has just pointed out he has about 300 ex girlfriends, most of whom seem to have forgotten his name.

Comment

And why would the people who have forgotten his name have accepted the invitation to this event? Especially as he has absolutely no interest in them.
      "Someone you once knew is having a reunion event"
      "Oh, really, who's that then?"
      "We can't tell you, you have to turn up and see if you remember his name. And then pass another couple of tests about how well you know him"
      "And if I pass?"
      "He'll have a cup of coffee with you"

Comment

I don't know, I reckon I might turn up out of curiosity.

Comment

I quite like the brass band version of Go Your Own Way in the Tesco Christmas ad, which isn't something to be proud of.

On the other hand, what is more Christmassy than acrimonious relationship breakdowns?

Comment

There is a campaign running here just now saying that if you are waiting for a liver transplant you could die but if you want to jump the line you can.

A little disturbing. How would this work? The market in human organs is illegal. Are they going to let you move to the front of the line for free. I doubt it. Where do these organs come from?

Also, I see it as another example of money allowing the hoi poloi to be fucked again.

Tell me I'm wrong and have totally misunderstood this.

Comment

That doesn’t sound right, but allowing the auction of organs for transplant has been a “dream” of hard core libertarians for decades.

Comment

Originally posted by adams house cat View Post
                There is a campaign running here just now saying that if you are waiting for a liver transplant you could die but if you want to jump the line you can.
                Quite likely it's about living donor transplants. It's not technically jumping the line, as you probably have to 'source' the living donor yourself from compatible family members who would be happy to give you their living organ, but not be willing to give it to a stranger until their death. From what I see online, this is a moneymaking venture that hospital are promoting.

Comment

And from what little I know, liver is a quite commonly donated living organ as it grows back the donated portion within the year. Kidneys can be donated, but obviously don't grow back.

Comment

I see. Thanks ursus, WOM. Anyone who got my liver would be drunk for a month.

Comment

The personal toilet deodorant (I can't bring myself to name it). Bad enough already, but now they're claiming it's a perfect Christmas present...

Comment

The Waitrose spot in which a family are watching the Christmas John Lewis ad takes the Partnership's cloying narcissism into a new dimension of smugness.

Comment

Just seen the latest Ferrero Rocher commercial, which is effectively the same as all their previous efforts in that it features a glitzy party centred around a pyramid of said chocolates. The latter is then gleefully plundered by a well-heeled couple. From the bottom.

I mean, wouldn't the whole bloody lot come crashing down?

Comment

The Co-op adverts with the group of friends boil my piss a tiny bit. Can't quite work out if they're the same bunch from the World Cup, who had to go outside when there was a penalty, or the barbecue bunch where the woman likes cheese on her sausages, but they're all a similarly multi-cultural and multi-gendered (but all great pals, no tension here at all) great bunch of lads.

Their Christmas offering has them playing charades and entering the eternally tedious debate about whether Die Hard is a Christmas film. I'm firmly in the "who gives a fuck" camp.

Comment

How does that even come up as a question?

Comment

This may change adverts in the UK a bit:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46558944

I say "may" because there's plenty of other rules concerning adverts (not having them played at louder volume than the programmes they're inserted into/between, not portraying cosmetics as making you a stick-on cert to be attractive to the opposite sex, no national stereotyping) that already get broken with dazzling regularity, but hey ho.

Comment

Noticeable shift in the kind of ads showing at the Tyneside Cinema in the run-up to xmas. There are often shitty ads for 4x4s which I think are singularly misdirected but now we're getting bespoke diamond jewellery, luxury holidays and couture.

Clearly someone in adbooking agencies thinks that all punters in all 'arthouse' cinemas are all loaded and uber-posh. I suppose they do occasionally livestream opera and that.

Comment

That's ridiculous. Clearly it should be precision targeted adverts for duffle coats, Gitanes, modern jazz and free love.

Comment

Men's Wearhouse (sic).

The actor in it has "smug twat" down perfectly. Eminently punchable.

Comment

Saw this in the cinema when I watched The Favourite. I have to say, it's an... interesting move, post emissions scandals, for a car company to rhetorically ask the question "What if we obeyed the rules" as if it would be a bad thing.

Comment

Just seen the Michael Buble advert for a soft drink called 'Bubly'. Yes, it's very silly, but very well done. And, yes, I laughed. (I probably won't the second time.)

Comment

I thought that that wretched Kris Akabusi commercial would be the worst in current rotation, but that bloody car ad with Thierry Henry is somehow even more annoying: "Who's ate all the toffees?" Great. Another generation of kids unable to speak proper English. Thanks a bunch for that, Renault.

I really need to watch less football. Or less Sky, per se.

Comment

Is Henry still doing the 'Va Va Voom' thing?

Comment

British Airways' current spot with famous people trotting out delusional, self regarding clichés of national exceptionalism really sticks in the throat at the moment.

It's even worse than the Comic Relief tie-in safety announcement and that's only inflicted upon their actual passengers.

Supermarkets jostling to out-British each other with their Sunday lunch ingredients can fuck off too.

Comment

Toyota spreading nonsense with their "self-charging hybrid" bullshit.

The pathetic little battery is charged pretty much exclusively by petrol, with a miniscule amount of regenerative braking system adding a dribble on top.

Self-charging my fucking Aunt Fanny. I assume you turn it on in the morning and the battery has replenished itself overnight in defiance of the laws of physics?

Comment

Originally posted by Gerontophile View Post
                                                    Is Henry still doing the 'Va Va Voom' thing?
                                                    He doesn't actually appear to do anything in these ads, bar show up.

Nice gig, if you can get it.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X