No announcement yet.

I've just seen a traumatic advert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That boils my p*ss as well - and seems to encompass most ads being made these days.

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
    Is McDonald's the only company that has ever had an advertising campaign focused on debunking urban myths about their business practices?
    Before O2 turned it into something approaching a workable business, the Millennium Dome (as was) had a bizarre radio ad that included vox-pop-style quotes from people saying how 'disappointing' it was, the apparent aim being to use these as leverage in proving that it wasn't. Or something. I think that all it really proved was that sometimes it's better just to keep quiet.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
      Amongst the ads that currently make my piss itch, there is none more irritable right now that that Tui holiday ad with the woman singing a simpering pathetic version of "Ain't Nobody".
      Oh, is that what it is? Whenever I hear yet another familiar classic being given the godawful mimsy-whimsy, slow, simpering, drearcore treatment, my urge to tear my own ears off (and/or overriding desire to find the product supplier, ad executive and singer responsible, tie them down and make them listen to Napalm Death until their heads implode) sometimes, mercifully, overrides my ability to remember afterwards just which song it is being butchered. If I'm lucky.

Comment

Can't be long until John Lewis wheel out their latest uber-mimsy Christmas offering. I'm actually boycotting them because of those ads. Admittedly this doesn't require much effort, but when our washing machine breaks down they'll feel it alright.

The pressure is on JL to deliver something extra awful this year; that non-seasonal Amazon advert where they dress the dog up as a lion is so sickly it should come with a diabetes warning.

Comment

Oh, I love the lion-dog!

I've just seen the dancing anti-biotic ad.

Comment

The music is what really hardens my heart against lion-dog. Well, that and the client.

I want a dancing antibiotic for Christmas. With the right management, they could be the biggest break-out animation characters since South Park.

Comment

Hmm, they shouldn't be encouraging dimwits to dress up animals, IMO. The doggy doesn't want that thing on his head. If he did, he'd find a way of doing it himself.

Comment

There may be a reason why they cast a golden retriever (or Labrador?) in the role rather than going for a pricklier breed.

Comment

I see what you're both saying, but LION-DOG!

Comment

Why is Owen Wilson hawking sofas now. Has his career gone down the dumper?

Comment

'Hawking sofas' sounds like a great euphemism for projectile vomiting, should one be required.

As you were.

Comment

Haha, or for a seriously chesty, mucous cough, at any rate. "Sorry I can't come out tonight mate, I'm absolutely full of it. Was hawking sofas down the plughole this morning."

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                          Can't be long until John Lewis wheel out their latest uber-mimsy Christmas offering. I'm actually boycotting them because of those ads.
                          Oh god, yes. Good man Benjm. Why, as a nation, have we recently fallen into swallowing the narrative that their big annual advertising campaign is an 'event', some ineffably integral part of the festivities, as if from time immemorial? They're simply not important, regardless of what the media narrative is trying to hawk (hah!). I wish they'd fuck right off and stop trying to lay claim to the season like they matter a shit. Oh, and they can take Coca-Cola with them, too.

Comment

I have found recently that sometimes after having too much to drink, my throat gets quite mucusy. Went to a mate's place last night for his housewarming and this afternoon I was hawking sofas when I woke up. Quite odd.

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                            Hmm, they shouldn't be encouraging dimwits to dress up animals, IMO. The doggy doesn't want that thing on his head. If he did, he'd find a way of doing it himself.
                            Like this?

Comment

A watering canine

Comment

Very good. But he can get his head out of there. (Dogs - I don't know...)

And yeah, I think VA and Sam call it right - 'hawking sofas' does sound hideously phlegmy.

Comment

Celebrate the release of the new Star Wars film by buying a commemorative razor, with a chrome handle. Not only that but the ad had terrible production values.

Not just multi bladed wet razors but Philips are getting in on the action with electric ones
                                  Last edited by Levin; 14-11-2017, 19:42.

Comment

That bloody Boots ad works me like a sap and leaves my eyes moist despite myself. Though why the fuck fade out Yazoo’s inspired bleeps and blops for some Big Adele Strings backing Moyet’s incredible voice?

Comment

There's a Geico (insurance etc) commercial with a sloth giving a clue at Pictionary. Love sloths, hate Geico.

Comment

Geico ads are insufferably smug and annoying, utterly convinced of their wit, or that their ongoing "joke" about a gecko (with the weirdest accent ever) is widely loved.

Comment

The tag "That's what they do" is invariably wrong too.

*The original Gekko was voiced by Kelsey Grammar. (And the whole thing is a rip-off of 'Compare the Meerkat' anyway.)

Comment

The gecko predates the meerkats by a decade, having been introduced as a remedy to the unavailability of live actors during the Screen Actors Guild strike in 1999.

GEICO spends more on advertising than any other company in the US.

Comment

Even more than Progressive? Not that it's a surprise.

Comment

Twice as much as Progressive, in fact.

Comment

I just filled in a long questionnaire about the John Lewis ad. My thoughts were mostly favourable e.g. I like that it's a mixed-race family, and I like that they don't dwell on expensive presents. The kid is happy with something that looks quite simple and affordable but gives him a sense of wonder.

I got a few Virgin miles for that (I would have got them whatever my opinion).

Comment

Jennifer Garner doing the credit card ads. So fucking annoying.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X