No announcement yet.

I've just seen a traumatic advert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah, that’s why it’s familiar. That ad is pure shockin.

Comment

Indeed, I've already been a-hatin' upon it on this thread.

Aside from being an embarrassingly-lame campaign in the first instance - somebody was paid a lot for that - it's just so sh*t-lazily written. The campaign is a textbook instance of an ad being scripted around what somebody wants to try to install as a national catchphrase (indeed, along the lines of 'whassup?', previously). This crucially ignores a simple rule to such things: that the key aspect of all memorable catchphrases is that they occur naturally.

While I'll concede that the aforementioned 'whassup?' line worked for a bit, it should be remembered that it predated the commercial. Trying to enforce some half-arsed sh*te on the public is just plain embarrassing. Soon to be archived in the bin alongside 'hubba-hubba yum-yum' or 'boom chikka wow-wow', or whatever the hell it was.

Comment

Dilly Dilly has been very successful in the US.

Comment

The country which inflicted Lite beer on us in the first place.

Comment

Saw a good billboard today for Canadian high-density-foam / direct-to-home mattress company Endy.

"True North Strong and Free Shipping".

Comment

On the other hand, Mobil (the gas station brand) has just come to Canada.

Their big announcement billboard reads "Now in Canada, eh?"

Which is the first thing you write just to get it out of your system and then move on to better lines.

Comment

Any idea why they would do that? Esso always struck me as a dominant brand up there.

Comment

Loblaws divested itself of all its Loblaws At The Pumps stations to Brookfield. I guess it was a brand that was 'available' but with some market recognition.

In similar news, the Gulf brand is back here as a strict labelling play to give independents some cohesion. Interesting if it works.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                    On the other hand, Mobil (the gas station brand) has just come to Canada.

Their big announcement billboard reads "Now in Canada, eh?"

Which is the first thing you write just to get it out of your system and then move on to better lines.
                    Or you could end up with the next few campaigns using the words "aboot", "hoser" and "for sure".

Comment

If the line had been "How are ya, now?" I'd have gotten out and applauded. But "Now in Canada, eh?" Da fuck...

Comment

I'm still so traumatised by the toe-curlingly awful dilly dilly cuntfest that I find myself grabbing for the remote to switch channels whenever it comes on. Tonight I had that 'out of the frying pan' moment when I landed on the Captain Morgan 'Captain! Captain!' advert.

I would love to meet whoever is responsible for these abominations in a darkened alley and spark the cunt with a sock full of pool balls.

Comment

Captain Morgan is a mere trifle compared to Dilly Dilly bastardy.

Comment

The HSBC ad with Richard Ayoade spouting meaningless drivel is on pretty much every unskippable ad break on All4 and it's driving me batty.

Comment

Originally posted by Southport Zeb View Post
                              Every other advert I hear on podcasts seems to be for various razors.
                              Yes, I was thinking about that the other day. I mean, it's fairly obvious targeting for the football ones, but why razors only?

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
                                The HSBC ad with Richard Ayoade spouting meaningless drivel is on pretty much every unskippable ad break on All4 and it's driving me batty.
                                Is that the one where he talks about the different nationalities that British people "love" in terms of food, animals, electronics, etc? Or was that a trailer for a Channel 4 show and I'm getting confused? Either way, I don't mind that one at all.

Comment

ALERT. ALERT. This is not a drill. Alan Davies is on US TV. (He is the face of "Britbox" which is pretty much the iPlayer for people outside the UK.)

Comment

Ugh. He bit a homeless man’s ear upon leaving the Groucho Club. thats all anyone needs to know about the ringlet haired fuck

Comment

I used to perform at improv shows with him nearly thirty years ago, so you can know that too. He wasn't assaulting the homeless back then.

Comment

Originally posted by Crusoe View Post
                                        Yes, I was thinking about that the other day. I mean, it's fairly obvious targeting for the football ones, but why razors only?
                                        Apparently the profit margin on them is absolutely massive*. If you can steal just a little bit of the market, you're gonna do well. And you're not going to get shelf-space, so direct-to-home is the appeal.

*not, as you might think, razor thin....

Comment

One of the razor adverts talks about a company that has a research department that observes eighty men shaving every day. I have spent far too much time pondering whether it's the same eighty men each day, or eighty different men every day.

Comment

Originally posted by Southport Zeb View Post
                                            One of the razor adverts talks about a company that has a research department that observes eighty men shaving every day. I have spent far too much time pondering whether it's the same eighty men each day, or eighty different men every day.
                                            And are the men even aware that they are being observed?

Comment

I once read that Gillette employees shaved at work each morning, basically as ongoing R&D. It wouldn't surprise me.

Comment

Does that include the women?

Comment

<must...resist...temptation...>

Comment

The "Alexa, order The Handmaid's Tale book," ad, complete with chuckling and catchphrases from the show is a bit strange, even by advertising's standards of tone deaf appropriation.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X