Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Squad Numbers I Feel Comfortable With

denishurley wrote:
    Cesc Fabregas has had four numbers with Arsenal - 57 when he joined first, 27 in the 2004 Amsterdam Tournament, then 15 from the start of 04/05 before taking 4 in 2006.

That kind of progression is fair enough as it symbolised him becoming a more integral player, but then sometimes you have pointless changes. In 1995, David Hillier went from 18 to 17 at Arsenal while John Jensen changed from 17 to 19. When Steve Harper joined Newcastle in 1998, he was 13 and had that until the start of 03/04, when he moved to 12 before reverting to 13 for 08/09
    In four seasons for us Gary O'Neil has worn numbers 4, 16 and 18, in that order, which is not only too many different numbers but also makes it look like he's being progressively demoted.

Comment

IanIanIan wrote:
      In the late 1980s, there was a player for St Albans that wore all eleven numbers over the course of two or three seasons, including the goalkeepers after the regular goalkeeper got held up in traffic and failed to make kick-off for a league match at (I think) Barking.
      Steve Palmer of Watford did the same in the late 90s, though the last two numbers had to be 'engineered'

Comment

Blackburn have got numbers 2 & 3 in midfield tonight, it's a good job they are completely bypassing that area of the pitch or I couldn't continue watching.

Comment

Cricket is similarly going bonkers with this - Chris Gayle is wearing 333 in the IPL. It's only a 6 week tournament and I think the maximum squad size can't be more than 20. There is no justification. Unfortunately the cricket gods disagreed and Gayle smote a ton on debut.

No squad number above 30 should ever be seen, unless there is a dramatic injury crisis. Teams should not be allowed to allocate numbers out of sequence, spare numbers must be utilised before going higher.

Comment

Bayern Munich's current squad doesn't have a 3, 4, 6, 9, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 19 or 20. No wonder Van Gaal got sacked.

Comment

We have a chap wearing number 69 in the League Cup tonight.

Comment

We're getting a bit closer to a regular eleven, but not quite there:

1; 19, 3, 2, 5; 7, 4, 8, 18; 9, 14

Comment

Harry Truscott wrote:
                  So do you feel comfortable with a 69?

Comment

I'm busy watching the game but thanks all the same.

Comment

Jurgen Klinsmann announces that he will assign number 1-11 to the USA starters before each game, subs will have 12-18.

Comment

Great, I couldn't find this thread when I was looking for it the other day. I wanted to post this:

Darren Mackie of Aberdeen FC has worn six different squad numbers for the first team. This excludes any other numbers he may have worn in friendlies or cup games, where the starting eleven wear 1 to 11, without names on the backs of their shirts.

The numbers, in the order that he was assigned them, are: 29, 25, 22, 11, 14, and 10. He's now into his sixth season wearing number 10.

OK, I'm happy now. Carry on.

Comment

Incandenza wrote:
                          I'd imagine that's still the most common set-up in Europe and, of course, the USA won't be able to do it for tournament finals.

Comment

Didn't someone wear shirt number 100 last night in an international friendly to commemorate their century of caps? A Lithuanian, perhaps?

Comment

Harry Truscott wrote:
                              Didn't someone wear shirt number 100 last night in an international friendly to commemorate their century of caps? A Lithuanian, perhaps?
                              Mario Frick (Liechtenstein) won his 100th cap last night, I suspect it was him.

Comment

Ah yes, it certainly looks like it was him from this photo on the LFV website;

Comment

It's been a few years since I played football manager, but this is how I remember selecting squad numbers:

Some basic rules:
                                  1 - 25: the main first-team squad
                                  26-30: any new signings made after having to choose squad numbers (except when I left somewhere suitable in 1-25 vacant)
                                  31-40: youth players I wanted to give a chance at some point (e.g. league cup)
                                  41+: players i desperately wanted to sell

If there were 3 players in the 'youth' category, I'd number them 31, 32 and 33.

Within the 1-25, I pretty much stuck to the traditional choices for 1-11 (4 was always DM, 8 for my AM); I would try to have 1-11 as my first-choice team, and then start the entire XI in one of my last two friendlies.

12-25: 13 and 21 would be goalkeepers, 12 the 3rd-choice CB, and I think I gave Flamini #16. Maybe #25 for Bendtner too (as 26 was reserved for new signings) - I'd signed a lot of ex-Arsenal players in this game.

Can't really remember the rest...

Comment

As for squad number changes, Arsenal made two changes last season: Vela 12 --> 11, and RVP 11 --> 10. Both changes were to represent their natural positions/value to the club.

For the same reason, there were suggestions that Almunia's number would change from 1 to 0...

Comment

Hot Orange wrote:
                                      Harry Truscott wrote:
                                      So do you feel comfortable with a 69?
                                      While Cardiff were finally the side to succumb to the notion of a youth team kid hilariously wanting 69....

Harry Truscott wrote:
                                      Has any EPL side (or FL for that matter) ever taken to the field with no 1-11 shirt numbers?

Man City (probably the most likely candidates given the size of their squad) are sporting only 4 and 5 today as they take Fulham apart, which is the fewest I've ever noticed.
                                      ... one team took to the pitch wearing the following numbers: 13, 14, 16, 17, 18, 20, 21, 22, 23, 26 and 27. The three subs wore 19, 25 and 12 (while 1, 4, 6 and 7 stayed on the bench).

Step forward Sheffield Wednesday.

Comment

Harry Truscott wrote:
                                        Sandcat wrote:
                                        Nice thread...

A few years ago Julio Arca had a 'special' number 33 for the left wing at Sunderland. We gave Ross Wallace it after he left but the trend fizzled out with his spell here.

And I'm okay with retiring numbers so long as it's totally warranted, and not just for any old nugget.
                                        At the start of the season I was outraged that Keiran Richardson had switched from squad number 10 to 3 because however hard he tried there was no way in hell he was going to convince the world he's a left back. We all saw his efforts there last season.

Now I am quite relieved as otherwise it might have ended up with Asamoah Gyan as it's his "lucky number" and he's settled for the 33 shirt instead. I might have stopped watching football altogether if a forward in Britain wore the number 3 shirt.
                                        I noticed on MotD that Gyan finally got his hands on the number 3 shirt this season. And they wonder why there's rioting the length and breadth of the country, eh?

Comment

The tragic thing is, it wouldn't be hard for the FA to police this. It's simple, you set a list of acceptable squad numbers per position (there's broad agreement), and then dock points for the distance between a player's number, and the nearest acceptable one.

So, Gyan is 3, strikers can be number 7: 4 point deduction.

But will they ever do this? Sadly, I doubt it.

Comment

Apparently Yossi Benayoun wore the number 10 for the start of the season, but has changed to 15, with 10 being handed to Juan Mata.

What next the FA? A triangular pitch? Seeing as you have so little interest in the rules.

Comment

Apparently Barry Bannan and some other Villa player changed numbers halfway through last season, 47 and 46 to 25 and 21 or somesuch

Comment

If Bendtner's rumoured loan move to Sunderland goes through they are likely to be able to play a forward line bearing the shirt numbers 3 & 52.

It's The End Times.

Comment

A goal for Cardiff's number 52. What does Harry make of that?

Comment

The 47th Element wrote:
                                                    There was a Bradford game at Northampton in 2006 where we finished the game wearing 1-11 (numbers 2 and 8 came on for 15 and 16 during the second half)

Couldn't shirts just be numbered 1-11 and have a velcro patch on the back to which the name of a player could be attached/removed?
                                                    To be honest I have always wondered why this could not happen....

How did we ever allow this squad number malarkey to take root........?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X