Squad Numbers I Feel Comfortable With

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interestingly (well, in my eyes anyway), although Wales didn't use squad numbers, Craig Bellamy wore the number 8 in both friendlies against Iceland and Holland in 2008 despite starting both games on the bench.

The starting line-up for both games had 1-7, 18 and 9-11 with Collison wearing 18 in Iceland and Robinson wearing 18 in Rotterdam

Comment

Man City have a player called Guidetti sporting a number 60 shirt at WBA in the League Cup tonight.

A record high for an English top flight side (and possibly in all four divisions) I think.

Comment

Guidetti is Swedish, y'know.

Comment

Really? Adventurous, your Swede.

Comment

Matthew Berkeley wore 99 for TNS' European matches this season - he also wore pink boots against CSKA Sofia.

Comment

Guidetti's Wiki page.

John Guidetti’s paternal grandfather came from Italy and his mother has Brazilian roots. Guidetti has lived twice in Kenya when his father, Mike, worked with a Swedish school project in Nairobi. Guidetti credits his playing football with older kids from the poorer slum areas of Kibera and Mathare Nairobi as an important step in his development as a footballer.

Comment

1974ddr wrote:
                Fascinating topic for obsessives everywhere; as one myself, can I argue with the assertion that the number 6 should only be worn by centre backs? In the dear departed days of 1 - 11 at the Villa it was (perhaps perversely) pretty much always worn by a midfielder, including legends such as Dennis Mortimer and, er... Kevin Richardson, and, um, well anyway, Villa's number 4 was worn by centre backs, amongst whom fellow nostalgia buffs may recall Leighton Phillips, Allan Evans and Shaun Teale. And didn't Kevin Ratcliffe wear 4 at Everton, with Peter Reid at 6? I don't think the 'number 6 is a centre back' rule is as hard and fast as suggested...
                In Germany, they use number 6 ("sechser") to refer to a position, i.e. a defensive midfielder. So there you go.

Nice username, by the way.

Comment

And yet Guido Buchwald - the most centre-halfish of all German centre-halves - wore no.6 most of his career.

Comment

Well it's probably a more recent thing than that - in Buchwald's day most teams will have played with 3 centre-backs

Comment

I've only just noticed that Arsenal's third choice keeper Szczesny (on the bench in Donetsk tonight) wears 53! It could be worse and be on an outfield player, I suppose.

Comment

Wojciech Szczesny will be Arsenal's number 1 one day...you heard it here first.

Comment

Magik wrote:
                          Wojciech Szczesny will be Arsenal's number 1 one day...you heard it here first.
                          I think I already heard it first from the Brentford fans on here.

He'll probably get pissed off with Arsene and end up at Chelsea or something.

Comment

This clearly is the finest thread ever!!

As my mind wandered on the whole squad numbers theme I thought about players that have had multiple squad numbers at the same club, and who holds the 'record'.

I can think of a couple who've had three different numbers at my own club: Duncan Ferguson, due to his two spells at the club and the unavailability of the no9 upon his return. Also Tony Hibbert as he made his way from youngster to demigod

Comment

Top subject. I've always considered 4 to be a more attacking number than 6. I'm quite partial to a 9 in centre midfield with 4 either right or left midfield.

I was miffed when Scotland followed England's "1 to 11 but with names on the back" strategy a couple of years back. International football was the last bastion of starting lineups wearing 1 to 11 with no names on the backs (the exceptions to this are World Cup and Euro Championship Finals).

Failing that, it should follow club football, so that you pick a squad and allocate them numbers at the start of each qualifying campaign, meaning that the starting lineup contains numbers outside 1 to 11. 1 to 11 with names is just wrong, and reeks of "check us out, lowly Eastern European minnows - we can afford to replace our shirts after every game".

Comment

I've never understood why we need numbers and names.

Comment

I was miffed when Scotland followed England's "1 to 11 but with names on the back" strategy a couple of years back.

This, very much so.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't Wales and Ireland pretty much the last two international teams who do 1-11 and no names these days?

Northern Ireland of course had abandoned this practice years before, by letting Aaron Hughes wear no.18 - I can understand letting a superstar wear an unusual number, but Aaron Hughes?

Comment

We've succumbed to the names on occasions including recent games.

Comment

Shame.

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't Wales and Ireland pretty much the last two international teams who do 1-11 and no names these days?

Surely not? Mind you, all the fashionable international teams (and Scotland) go for 1-11 with names or squad numbers with names, then a lot of the other nations go for no names and all sorts of crazy numbers, which I quite like (do they allocate numbers to individuals or just grab random shirts out of the kit bag? Hopefully the latter).

Comment

thebiggee wrote:
                                          I can think of a couple who've had three different numbers at my own club: Duncan Ferguson, due to his two spells at the club and the unavailability of the no9 upon his return. Also Tony Hibbert as he made his way from youngster to demigod
                                          At Barcelona, Lionel Messi wore 30 in the league and 19 in Europe (due to European squad number rules I believe) for a while until Ronaldinho left and he took on the number 10. So Messi wore his third different squad number in Barcelona's first team shortly after his 21st birthday (admittedly it'll probably be his last Barca squad number).

Comment

Has any EPL side (or FL for that matter) ever taken to the field with no 1-11 shirt numbers?

Man City (probably the most likely candidates given the size of their squad) are sporting only 4 and 5 today as they take Fulham apart, which is the fewest I've ever noticed.

Comment

thebiggee wrote:

As my mind wandered on the whole squad numbers theme I thought about players that have had multiple squad numbers at the same club, and who holds the 'record'.

Cesc Fabregas has had four numbers with Arsenal - 57 when he joined first, 27 in the 2004 Amsterdam Tournament, then 15 from the start of 04/05 before taking 4 in 2006.

That kind of progression is fair enough as it symbolised him becoming a more integral player, but then sometimes you have pointless changes. In 1995, David Hillier went from 18 to 17 at Arsenal while John Jensen changed from 17 to 19. When Steve Harper joined Newcastle in 1998, he was 13 and had that until the start of 03/04, when he moved to 12 before reverting to 13 for 08/09

Comment

In Spurs CL qualifier at home to Young Boys back in August, I noted that the traditional list of starters with numbers in ascending order had resulted in the final four players listed being the four defenders (Dawson 20, Corluka 22, King 26 & Assou-Ekotto 32) rather than the usual array of attacking players. When Cudicini (23) replaced Gomes at half time, the keeper and back four comprised the five highest numbers in the team.

Comment

thebiggee wrote:

Tommy Miller wore 22, 21, 10 and 8 for Ipswich.

Comment

In the late 1980s, there was a player for St Albans that wore all eleven numbers over the course of two or three seasons, including the goalkeepers after the regular goalkeeper got held up in traffic and failed to make kick-off for a league match at (I think) Barking.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X