Squad Numbers I Feel Comfortable With

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't get it, why write a blog about squad numbers if you don't like them?

Comment

I'm interested in shirt numbers and write a blog about them - quite a few of the articles are from the pre-squad numbers era but obviously most centred on the modern day will deal with squad numbers. I am allowed to have a preference for teams to number their 11 players sequentially, the same way I like that holes on a golf course go fro 1-18 rather than having a 31 or somesuch thrown in.

Your literality on the name of the blog discomfits me. Do you harangue Iceland for being green and Greenland for being icy?

Comment

It's just remarkably perverse. It's like doing a blog called World of Cheese when you're lactose intolerant.

Comment

I prefer to think of it as like having a blog on locomotives of all kinds but retaining a wistful fondness for the days of steam trains.

Comment

I don't nomally like when players move to higher numbers, but centre-back Shane Duffy wearing 15 for Ireland against Austria tonight was more preferable to the 7 he wore against Georgia and Moldova.

Of course, that was offset by the fact that Robbie Brady played left-back wearing 10.

Comment

Schneiderlin gets his squad number at Everton.

Number 2.

Comment

Oh I meant to dig up this thread to mention that we got to see the full glory of Wednesday's wackadoo squad numbers last week in the cup with number 2 in goal, 6 up front, 3 and 9 on the wings and four starters (who I'm pretty sure are all first choice) with squad numbers above 30.

Comment

On both my sightings of Wednesday this season I've found myself shaking my head at the sheer wrongness of the left back wearing 9 and a striker wearing 6.

Comment

The currently unattached Emmanuel Adebayor rocking his usual striker's no. 4 for Togo at AFCON.

Apparently the reason is to emulate Kanu - having inherited his no. 25 at Arsenal, he decided to also adopt Nwankwo's inappropriate international number.
                    Hal Robson Kanu has followed suit at West Brom for the same reason.

Comment

HRK has admitted he also took the 4 shirt for the more prosaic reason that it was the only number from 1-11 that was free.

""It’s a few things... At the time it was the only single number available and I prefer wearing a single number, especially with such a long name, I think the single number looks a little bit better."

"Nwankwo Kanu, the Nigerian footballer because I have Nigerian blood in me and he’s got the same surname as myself. He used to wear the number 4 for Nigeria and he also played for West Brom as well.

I’ll wear it for this season and see how it goes!"

The final line makes me think the tribute to Kanu is the lesser reason.

Comment

Wolves appear to be going down the route of not reusing any numbers in a season, so given that they're on their third manager since the end of last season, and entered an Academy side in the Football League Trophy, means that the lowest number available to new signing Andreas Weimann is...

Comment

One terrible side effect of Swansea swapping left back Neil Taylor for Villa forward Jordan Ayew is that the latter has taken the former's number 3 shirt.

Comment

It seems that the next lowest number available was 50. That and he'd actually worn 3 before while playing in France. Thanks to Denis' blog for that info.

Comment

Ah, just taken a look at his article. Wiki seemed to indicate that 40 is available but that appears to have been retired for Besian Idrizaj.

Number 50 and upwards of that (91, the year of his birth for instance) would be far preferable to me for a striker than 3, of course.

Comment

It does seem that Swansea are too much sticklers for the rules though as other clubs seem to have re-allocated numbers vacated by players going out on loan. If Chelsea didn't do that, they'd probably have players with 100 or more on their backs!

Comment

James McClean is expected to wear the number five shirt for the Republic of Ireland against Wales in memory of Derry City captain Ryan McBride.

Comment

Squad numbers I feel deeply uncomfortable with :
                                    The club have teamed up with a local supermarket chain to advertise the latest special offers available on the back of the playing shirts. Star striker and club number ‘10’, Fernando Sobral, now sports the 10,98 shirt with the latest special pizza deal available at ‘10,98’ (10 Brazilian reales and 98 centavos).

Though I do suspect a PR hoax.

Comment

Early heads up that Wednesday look to be reusing oddball squad numbering this coming season. We're playing our first friendly at Alfreton tonight and using squad numbers. Highlights include Gary Hooper in 3 (striker, 14 last season), Daniel Pudil in 11 (left back, 36 last season), Marco Matias in 7 (winger, 21 last season when he barely appeared), Jordan Thorniley in 12 (never played for the first team), Adam Reach in 19 (left winger, was 9 last season), Atdhe Nuhiu 22 (was 44 last season when he barely appeared). Will post the full horror when it is confirmed.

Comment

We announced our squad numbers today. Still waiting to sign a goalkeeper but at the moment it looks like a slightly queasy:

1 TBA (GK)

2 Dummigan (RB)
                                        23 Hunt (LB)
                                        5 Gerrard (CB)
                                        26 Clarke (CB)

7 Flynn or 30 Obadeyi (W)
                                        11 McLaughlin (W)
                                        6 Gardner or 8 Banks (CM)
                                        24 Fane or 28 Green (CM)

9 Davies (F)
                                        10 Amadi-Holloway (F)

Comment

I'm intrigued by the big gap from 11-16 in Wimbledon's numbers announced yesterday, though I suppose it appears to promise a significant number of signings still to come :

1. George Long

2. Barry Fuller

3. Jon Meades

4. Deji Oshilaja

5. Will Nightingale

6. Paul Robinson

7. George Francomb

8. Jimmy Abdou

9. Kwesi Appiah

10. Cody McDonald

17. Andy Barcham

18. Dean Parrett

19. Tom Soares

20.Toby Sibbick

21. Egli Kaja

22. Chris Whelpdale

23. Callum Kennedy

24. Joe McDonnell

25. Nik Tzanev

26. Anthony Hartigan

27. Neset Bellikli

28. Alfie Egan

29. Jayden Antwi

30. Paul Kalambayi

31. Seth Owens

32. Darius Charles

33. Lyle Taylor

Cruel on Whelpdale though to drop to the 22 shirt even though nobody else has taken his old number 11.

Senior players and near guaranteed first choice starters Charles and Taylor again keep their shirt numbers in the thirties out of sentimental/superstitious attachment despite suitable 1-11 numbers coming free.

An outfield player in 31 (the least acceptable number for anyone but a keeper) again is an eyesore.
                                          Last edited by Ray de Galles; 21-07-2017, 07:21.

Comment

From Richard Osman on Twitter :

"New Fulham striker Aboubakar Kamara has chosen the shirt number 47, just so he can be known as AK-47. You have to admire his branding skills"

Last edited by Ray de Galles; 04-08-2017, 01:04.

Comment

Someone choosing the nickname AK-47 makes me feel uncomfortable. Although it might be a joke from Richard Osman.

Comment

Originally posted by longeared View Post
                                                Early heads up that Wednesday look to be reusing oddball squad numbering this coming season. We're playing our first friendly at Alfreton tonight and using squad numbers. Highlights include Gary Hooper in 3 (striker, 14 last season), Daniel Pudil in 11 (left back, 36 last season), Marco Matias in 7 (winger, 21 last season when he barely appeared), Jordan Thorniley in 12 (never played for the first team), Adam Reach in 19 (left winger, was 9 last season), Atdhe Nuhiu 22 (was 44 last season when he barely appeared). Will post the full horror when it is confirmed.
                                                Thankfully, they have tidied things somewhat - I've posted a summation here

Comment

Number 289 just entered the pitch for Pachuca in their home Liga MX match against Tigres

Comment

Sanches takes 85 for Swansea, current highest in the PL/FL?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X