Squad Numbers I Feel Comfortable With

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Harry Truscott wrote: I presumed he meant the sub numbers boards.

I don't think anyone is demanding absolute accuracy from WBA, tee rex was just pinpointing where the visual spell was broken.
    will you be wearing the piss-stained shorts?

Still waiting for an apology.

Comment

The subs were 12 and 14-18, the reserve GK shirt, like Myhill's, was blank. They were of course 1 and 13 on the teamsheet.

Interestingly (to me anyway), two players with squad numbers in the first 11 wore different ones - Claudio Yacob switched from 5 to 4 and Brown Ideye, normally 9, was 10.

Comment

You forgot Brunt switching from 11 to 3. That one did make a bit more sense though with him playing at left back.

Comment

Apols, missed that. Yacob's was acceptable to me too as he was playing in midfield

Comment

I completely got the Exeter goalie's name wrong because the squad list started with number 2 in the programme. No number 1 - I presume he's been sold or something - but I just read the player at the top of the list and presumed he was the goalie.

I really liked West Brom's 1-11 numbering and would welcome that coming back. If I ever become the mad billionaire despot I was born to be I would sponsor the football league and make 1-11 numbering one of the rules.

Comment

denishurley wrote: Apols, missed that. Yacob's was acceptable to me too as he was playing in midfield
              But if he'd worn the 5 as usual that wouldn't exactly have been "wrong", what with him being Argentinian and that being their number of choice for a player in his position.

If it meant a centre-back wearing 4, then that's not too bad.

Comment

No, it's not too bad at all - I was taking the starting point that any 1-11 players starting should keep them and everyone else fit in, but if the change was positionally-appropriate then that was fine too.

In other news, I always kind of knew my magnum opus would be on Liverpool's numerical evolution in the glory years - https://squadnumbers.wordpress.com/

Comment

Wycombe finished the game today with an 8 and an 11 in defence, another factor which made them incredibly annoying.

Comment

That's just awful. Apologies, thought I'd put link to Liverpool blog post but I've added it to previous post now

Comment

Inter are retiring Javier Zanetti's number 4, which strikes me as an excellent choice unless one is steadfastly against the concept of retired numbers.

Comment

One is.

Comment

Two are. Or eventually we'd end up with teams of players all wearing three figure shirts.

Harry Truscott wrote:
                          The Astle thing is nice as a one off but no sensible person wants to go back to 1-11 in the league now, surely. Where would be the fun in that?
                          Sorry Harry, but speaking as no sensible person myself, I'm all in favour of going back to 1 - 11. Squad numbers are for the World Cup and other international tournaments.

Comment

Or eventually we'd end up with teams of players all wearing three figure shirts.
                            Too late

They've been a thing in Mexico for a while.

Comment

^ I saw a video of a Liga MX game a few months back - there was a goal scored by a No. 243!

Comment

Public Service Announcement for Mr Truscott

Should you find yourself looking for a game to watch in Buenos Aires, do NOT under any circumstances pick one involving Deportivo Riestra (fourth tier)

Comment

I sincerely hope that's just the graphics department having a really bad day...

Comment

It's not.

It's Ragazzo's new "strategy".

Comment

Oh, I feel quite nauseous now.

Comment

Don't send the battle flotilla quite yet.

Comment

He should really have gone the whole hog and had the goalkeeper wear 11 with 1 as a striker.

It annoys my OCD that the central defenders and central midfielders are shown in that order too.

Comment

Peralta and Moreyra, yesterday:

Comment

I'm a bit disappointed that no Wimbledon local lad has adopted shirt number 88 yet. Any concerns about its neo-Nazi connotations could surely be allayed.

Comment

So, a new season and a whole lot of numberwang to get excited by.

Preston have revealed their squad numbers.

No. 1 is vacant.
                                                No. 2 is vacant.
                                                No. 3 is vacant.
                                                No. 4 is vacant.

Just relegate them now please.

Comment

I never knew Paolo di Canio had that much influence at Deepdale...

Comment

This is just wrong on so many levels

For Napoli against Pisa

Comment

Working...
                                                    X