Squad Numbers I Feel Comfortable With

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Me again, the thread-hijacker. A look at the legend of the Manchester United number 7

Comment

The curious case of Alessandro Costacurta

Comment

Rogin the Armchair Fan wrote: Liverpool must be in the frame for not fielding anyone from 1-11 at some point this season,
        Good call that. When Liverpool played West Ham three weeks ago this was their side for the final 10 minutes.

22. Mignolet
        17. Sakho
        18. Moreno
        37. Skrtel
        33. Ibe
        14. Henderson
        20. Lallana
        21. Lucas
        23. Emre
        31. Sterling
        15. Sturridge

Only starter in the 1-11 range had been Coutinho, who was replaced by Ibe.

Comment

After his ridiculous flirtation with the 52 shirt we clearly have a serial offender :

So, so wrong.

Comment

Who does he think he is - Asamoah Gyan?

Comment

As mentioned back somewhere in this thread they did play together for a while at Sunderland (in games I couldn't watch due to the front two pairing sporting numbers 3 & 52) so it may be a nod to the Ghanaian.

Comment

What's the ruling on shirt numbers in the Bundesliga anyway?

Strikes me as stricter than Italy or most of Eastern Europe but more lax than Spain or France.

Comment

Bendtner said when he joined that his mother chose 3 for him.

Bayern's numbers disgust me. Generally, their homegrown players like Lahm, Schweinsteiger, Bastuber and Muller, have kept their high numbers even after establishing themselves as first-teamers.

Comment

That's OK though, part of me feels that's what always should happen (as long as the original number was suitable).

Comment

It's a practice inextricably linked with John Terry in mye eyes.

For all my dislike of Ferguson, he knew the score, generally reducing the numbers of players as their status grew.

I've also just uploaded a new blog post, looking at an Arsenal-Liverpool game from 1990

Comment

denishurley wrote:

For all my dislike of Ferguson, he knew the score, generally reducing the numbers of players as their status grew.
                        The greatest player of the Ferguson era kept his 16 shirt all the way through his Man U career though.

Comment

Harry Truscott wrote:
                          Originally posted by denishurley

The greatest player of the Ferguson era kept his 16 shirt all the way through his Man U career though.
                          True, but that was by choice. A first-teamer staying in the teens (Henry another example) doesn't bother me that much, it's the 20+'s which grind my gears

Comment

I'm not overly fussed with what number a player chooses (within reason - I don't think for example that #3 has to go to a left back, however it MUST go to a defender) but I do think that the Prem's 25 men squads should be numbered 1-25.

Comment

While not squad numbers, FC United have been lining up like this in recent weeks:

10 - 5 - 6 - 2
                              3 - 8 - 4 - 7
                              8 - 9

And it makes me feel sick.

Comment

Two No. 8s? No wonder you feel queasy...

Comment

BAN THIS SICK FILTH

Comment

Portugal at Euro 84 . . .

2: Nené (striker)
                                    3: Rui Jordão (striker)
                                    4: Fernando Chalana (winger)
                                    8: António Veloso (utility defender)
                                    9: João Pinto (right-back)
                                    10: António Lima Pereira (centre-half)
                                    11: Eurico (centre-half)

Aaaaaargh

Comment

beak wrote: BAN THIS SICK FILTH
                                      I knew Mexican squad numbers had got out of control, but FUCK!!!!!!!!!

Again - that's a 29-man squad. What's wrong with 1-29?

Comment

beak wrote: BAN THIS SICK FILTH
                                        What the blue fuck is going on here?

Comment

West Brom lined up with a 'proper' 1-11 today as part of a Jeff Astle tribute. Didn't help them play any better though.

Comment

They were doing OK until the sub numbers showed that it wasn't 1968 after all. And the gods of football saw, and were displeased.

Comment

Subs were numbered 12-18, weren't they?
                                              If you have seven on the bench, you can't do any better than that.

Comment

I think he meant having any sub numbers at all (and, of course, multiple subs).

The Astle thing is nice as a one off but no sensible person wants to go back to 1-11 in the league now, surely. Where would be the fun in that?

Comment

But surely West Brom shouldn't have disavantaged themselves in comparison to Leicester by going the whole 1968 hog and only sticking one or two players on the bench?

And I'm pretty sure even the earliest (officially sanctioned, anyway) substitutes had numbers on the backs of their shirts.

Comment

I presumed he meant the sub numbers boards.

I don't think anyone is demanding absolute accuracy from WBA, tee rex was just pinpointing where the visual spell was broken.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X