Squad Numbers I Feel Comfortable With

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jonathan Wilson's book is good on how numbers developed differently in different countries - it's laregly down to a difference in which half-back dropped back, when 4-4-2 took over.

Comment

Anyway, to answer the original question:

1 - GK
      2 - RB, LB, CB
      3 - LB, RB, CB
      4 - DM, CM, CB, RB (Argentina), SW
      5 - CB, DM, CM, SW, LM, LW
      6 - CB, SW, DM, CM
      7 - RW, SS, AM, CM, LW, DM
      8 - CM, DM, AM, CF, RW, LW
      9 - CF
      10 - SS, AM, CM, DM, SW
      11 - LW, CF, SS, AM, RW, LB
      12 - Anyone, GK (continent)
      13 - CF, CM, AM, GK (UK)
      14 - LW, AM, SS
      15 - Anyone
      16 - CM, DM GK (France)
      17 - Any right-sided player. Don't know why
      18 - CF
      19 - CM, AM, LW
      20 - Central player
      21 - LB, LW
      22 - GK, Anyone
      23 - CB, GK
      24-32 - Pretty much anyone
      33 - Goalkeeper
      34-40 Kids
      41+ Ideally no-one, but otherwise kids

Comment

Jimmy Bignutz wrote:
        Jonathan Wilson's book is good on how numbers developed differently in different countries - it's laregly down to a difference in which half-back dropped back, when 4-4-2 took over.
        Or when 2-3-5 became 3-2-5 and then 4-2-4. Although the Argentine numbering has as much to do with where that centre half dropped back to (we in England put him between the two existing full backs, pushing the 2 to the right and 3 to the left, whilst the Argentines simply moved the #4 outside the two existing full backs, and later dropped the #6 in between them).

In Uruguay they went with the British system, so Uruguayan right backs are generally #2 (phnar).

Neither of those would quite explain the Brazilian right back becoming #6, though, which also necessitates said player actually moving across the pitch.

Comment

The current Australian squad for the Asian Cup has some amazing shirt numbers:

Comment

As a goalkeeper (former) I just can't understand how Reina has gone for years without No.1 on his back, i'd have to have it - 25 is nothing, 1 is everything, and for that reason alone I don't like him.

Even after all this time I still loathe squad numbers, they were great for World Cups and Euros and should have been kept at just those

Comment

Sao Paulo keeper Rogerio Ceni wears 01:

SamLKelly wrote:
              When I went to América vs Atlas in the Azteca in February last year (last year! Am I the first on OTF to refer to 2009 thus?) América's starting centre back - I forget his name - had the number 125 on his back. That's not a typo. I don't mean 25. 125. And on TV in bars I saw at least one other player in the Mexican league with the same number.
              Adolfo "Bofo" Bautista of Chivas--a striker--has worn both 100 and 1 (when playing in CONCACAF tournaments). One of the seasons he wore 100 was Chivas' centennial year, and the season after his mother passed away, he added "My Angel" underneath the number as a tribute:

He's also worn 58, which is a popular jersey number in Mexico. Jared Borgetti has worn it with several clubs:

The number 58 started as a tribute to a radio station, apparently. This post at The Offside has a rundown of some of the crazy numbers worn in Mexico. There are several players that have gone over 100.

Comment

Taylor wrote:
                Oh yeah, and is there any reason why practically every French club numbers their three goalies 1, 16 and 30? Or indeed, why the black goalie, assuming there is one, always seems to get the number 30? Clearly, neither of these traditions is going to be all that traditional.

I suppose the 16 could just date from Barthez in the World Cup winning side - possibly - but that still doesn't explain the 30.
                Is it somehow Ice Hockey related? Most goaltenders in the NHL wear 1 or 30.

Comment

Jimmy Bignutz wrote:
                  13 - CF, CM, AM, GK (UK)
                  Surely the correct answer to this is WARNING: BAD LUCK, LEAVE IT IN THE HAMPER?

I'm not a fan of retired numbers, I find the idea a bit silly. Saying that, it pales in front of keeping the number 12 "for the fans", a practice which makes me want to projectile vomit.

Comment

We retired number 40 for "the spirit of Oldham". Clearly the spirit isn't that good.

Comment

The LFP rules actually require that 1, 16 and 30 be reserved for keepers (see p. 145 here.

They also allow keepers to wear no. 40 if the club has more than 30 professionals under contract, and forbid the use of "fantasy" numbers (the rules cite 45 and 82 as examples, but the general rule is that 30 is the maximum and that numbers can't be skipped (unless they have been retired)). There is also a special requirement that each club always have an unassigned no. 33 shirt available for "last minute signings".

As to why they adopted the keeper rule, I find Jimmy's suggestion above to be highly plausible.

Comment

Crusoe wrote:
                        We retired number 40 for "the spirit of Oldham".
                        You got him from us as well I think.

Comment

I think I should say that I am quite taken with the idea of a club having a "signature" number that is important to it's history and have this allotted to a player of any position if he has a strong link with the club, i.e. a local boy who has come through the youth system, a returning favourite or lifelong supporter finally playing for his boyhood heroes.

This stems from always wanting someone special in the 27 shirt for us and I would imagine there are other clubs with significant shirt numbers due to dates (I'm not talking about nonsense like "Newcastle's number 9" or "Man U's 7 shirt" here).

You'd think West Ham might make something of a 66 shirt (especially as they've retired 6) but they don't. There's a Rangers centre half who wears it and I always think it's a strange number for a (presumably) Scottish youngster at a Scottish club , even if it is Rangers.

Comment

Harry Truscott wrote:
                            You'd think West Ham might make something of a 66 shirt (especially as they've retired 6) but they don't. There's a Rangers centre half who wears it and I always think it's a strange number for a (presumably) Scottish youngster at a Scottish club , even if it is Rangers.
                            67, perhaps? Although there's a good reason for Ranger in particular to want to avoid that one too, of course.

Comment

This is fantastically OCD, and consequently brilliant.

1 - GK
                              2 - RB
                              3 - LB, or in a push, a left-footed centre half
                              4 - Either a defensive/deep lying centre mid, or a centre half
                              5 - Covering or Scandinavian centre half. Milan Baros wearing this made me get sick in my mouth.
                              6 - Dominant centre half, or centre midfielder. Downing wearing it is just morally wrong.
                              7 - Right winger, or second striker
                              8 - Box to box mid, or bullish centre forward
                              9 - Big unit up front, or out and out poacher
                              10 - Not a fan but I'll tolerate an attacking mid or striker wearing it. Gallas can naff right off.
                              11 - Left wing

Others of consequnce:

12, 13, 24 and 25 are reserved for keepers
                              15 and 17 are for flashy skilful show ponies
                              14 or 16 has to be your best centre mid
                              23 is the talented young super sub striker, probably stems from the early days of Robbie Fowler
                              30-39 is acceptable but only if absolutely necessary, 40 or above is beyond the pale

Comment

It's a good thing Harry doesn't watch cricket or he might be brought to apoplexy by the Delhi Daredevils. Paul Collingwood wants to wear 5, but Gambhir already has that. So he's wearing 05. Will no-one enforce the most basic of standards?

Comment

Comment

Who hell he? Too much to hope it's his year of birth I suppose?

Comment

When I went to América vs Atlas in the Azteca .......
                                      América's starting centre back - I forget his name - had the number 125 on his back. That's not a typo. I don't mean 25. 125. And on TV in bars I saw at least one other player in the Mexican league with the same number.
                                      I know I'm a bit late with this (i.e 7 months!) but I've just seen it.
                                      Several Mexican teams had a 125 that season.
                                      Any club sponsored in any way by Banamex (Banco Nacional De Mexico) had to nominate 1 player (possibly the longest serving) to have the number.
                                      It was Banamex's 125th year of existence.

Irrelevant now and not that interesting... but there you go

Comment

Actually yeah it is. No excuse, though. No excuse.

(He's a German youth international called Alexander Esswein who's just joined Dynamo Dresden from VfL Wolfsburg. He's a forward)

Comment

Gracias, diablo.

I didn't know that (and I should have, given that Pumas are a Banamex team).

I don't see a future for Herr Esswein in Anglophone football.

Comment

De nada ursus,

I think Sergio Bernal had the 125 shirt for Pumas.
                                            It was Hernan Cristante at Toluca

The Americanista mentioned by Sam was Fernando Ortiz apparently...

Comment

And right you are.

Comment

Also late to this, but 13 has never been a traditional goalkeepers number in Scotland. Our national team sub goalie has always worn #12, and at club level it's usually 12 or 17.

Comment

I'm sure you'll all be pleased to hear that Esswein's number has changed to 33. I don't know why - perhaps the DFB or DFL stepped in, but whatever it was, I approbve.

Comment

Nice thread...

A few years ago Julio Arca had a 'special' number 33 for the left wing at Sunderland. We gave Ross Wallace it after he left but the trend fizzled out with his spell here.

And I'm okay with retiring numbers so long as it's totally warranted, and not just for any old nugget.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X