• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
    I'm no cricket fan but [/APPLAUSE].
    I hope of the polite, rippled variety.

Comment

Originally posted by Uroš Predić View Post
      One of the current Arsenal squad wears number 69, though I'm not sure who - he came on against Doncaster in the League Cup. I remarked at the time it was the first time I'd seen the number on a shirt when the wearer wasn't participating in a stag-do.
      Joe Willock.

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
      I hope of the polite, rippled variety.
      But of course.

Comment

At the game I went to on Sunday, the away side subbed their keeper with 10 minutes to go, which saw 101 replacing 1. Madness..

Comment

Late to this, but Lowdham Ladies U11s have a Bony-style situation on their hands this season.

My twins are in the 15-strong squad, and were allocated 2 and 3 when the shirts were handed out when the team started up a year ago. V, the youngest, strangely got 2 while L, the oldest, got 3, by dint of standing next to the coach when he handed out the shirts fresh out of the box. V is the less physical of the pair and has drifted towards preferring playing in attack where she doesn't have to tackle, so the team often starts with 2 in attack in their seven-a-side games.

She's not scored yet, so the Bony comparisons can continue.

(The 3 is a determined all-action type of player, very reminiscent of Carlton Palmer, all legs and energy. She plays more often in defence, you will be pleased to learn.)

The two best players are 9 and 10. Old school.

Meanwhile, Carlton Town in the (NPL) Evostik North have only last weekend taken delivery of their 2017/18 home kit. So, they have been wearing last season's kit, which has been missing a number 8 all season, which is why they have lined up 1-7, 9, 10, 11 and 18 so far this term. Splendid stuff.

Comment

The U9 team I help coach, in the finest tradition, have a hand-me-down kit with two different shirt styles and squad numbers something like 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 14, 17. The two 8s can cause some consternation

Comment

Everton's bench, for their early mid-winter break in Cyprus:

41, 55, 61, 63, 68, 69 and 70.

Comment

At the Liverpool v Spartak Moscow youth game I went to yesterday afternoon the two clubs clearly had different philosophies. Liverpool's starting line up wore 1-11 with the subs going up to 18. On the other hand it was clear that Spartak automatically give a number to anyone in any of their squads - one of the substitutions was number 80 for number 81.

Comment

That could also be down to differing rules about squad numbers in the domestic league. Perhaps Spartak are required to give every player who's part of their system a shirt number, for instance. I have no idea either way whether or not they do, but it's a possibility.

Comment

A little piece I wrote about Maradona wearing 9 for Napoli

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                      I would just once like to see a newly signed egomaniacal keeper who has been denied the 1 shirt by the established keeper take 11. But just the once.
                      Not your exact criteria, but Paul Christensen of Team X at the MLS Combine will wear 11

Comment

Oooh, thanks. I think I like that.

Comment

Again, apologies if I'm polluting the thread, but:

Henrikh Mkhitaryan will wear 7 for Arsenal but has to have a different number for the Europa League as Alexis Sánchez has already worn 7 this season and UEFA don't allow numbers to be re-assigned.

I've written a piece on other players who've worn two different numbers for the same club in the same season.

Comment

Arsenal's matchday squad yesterday included just one player, Mkhitaryan (7) numbered 1-11.

Should their new manager correctly decide some defensive rebuilding is required, Arsenal will have vacancies at 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 (the departed Szczesny, Debuchy, Gibbs, Mertesacker (retiring) and Gabriel.

Comment

Either that or a root-and-branch reallocation like the ones that happened a few times in the 90s.

Bellerin has already stated that he's requested the #2 for next season, which is encouraging.

Comment

Wigan had 5 & 6 in central midfield on Saturday, which was really irritating.

In their defence, in both senses of the term, the back four lined up as (from right to left) 2, 22, 33, 3 which gave a pleasing kind of symmetry.
                                Last edited by Ray de Galles; 30-04-2018, 15:18.

Comment

Ray - rumours that Ruo Patricio will wear 11 at Wolves

Comment

Oooh, finally!

Comment

I have, of course, blogged about, it with due deference shown to this thread and Ray

Comment

Thank you, what an honour!

Comment

El Arabi Hilal Soudani, a striker, at 2 for Nottingham Forest is fun.

As explained here, it is as an homage to his home region of Chlef, in Algeria, which has the administrative number 2 in that nation.

Comment

Kayden Jackson has taken the number 9 at Ipswich, which is a shame, as 5 was available.

Comment

Lovely moment during Saturday's game, when I realised that our close-season number switch around, plus the return of our left-back from injury, meant Doncaster lined up with the classic 2 - 5 - 6 - 3 back four.

In fact, were it not for James Coppinger wearing number 26, our entire outfield would've numbered 2-11. But as he's in his 15th season with us we'll let him off.

Comment

Excellent work!

Comment

We've got a number 88 on the pitch playing for Midtjylland

Comment

Number 80 playing for Basaksehir.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X