Squad Numbers I Feel Comfortable With

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Goalkeepers - 1,13,16 (if player is French),21,30 (if black),31.

Right-backs - 2,12,14,21,22,27,29 (if from Nordic countries),32.

Left-backs - 3,6,13 (non UK/Irish only),15,23,33.

Centre-backs - 4,5,6,12,20,22

Sweepers - 3 (if long-haired),7 (if bald),6 (all others)

Central midfielder - 4,6,7,8,10 (if used to be forward player dropping back position due to age),12,14,16,44 (if 4 shirt already occupied by other central midfielder).

Right midfield - 7,8,11 (if genuinely two-footed I am fine with wide right wearing 11 but very uneasy with wide left wearing 7 under any circumstances),14,17,21,27.

Left midfield - 10,11.

Split striker/trequartista/in the hole - 10,11,20 (if under the age of 25)

Striker - 7 (if under 5'10" ),8 (if under 5'10" ),9,10,11 (if black),19,25,29 (if aged 21 or under) .

A few notes;

I would just once like to see a newly signed egomaniacal keeper who has been denied the 1 shirt by the established keeper take 11. But just the once.

Any player forward of central midfield is allowed to take their year of birth as squad number or 77 or 99 if they qualify for 7 or 9 but it is unavailable.

Any player aged 35 or over is allowed to take their age at the start of the season as their squad number.

Post of the year.

Comment

Bored Jr's shirt number is 27, you will be pleased to know but they haven't haven't got defined positions yet

Comment

Post of the year.
        You obviously have never watched a match with Harry and had to put up with all his other foibles

Comment

1 is in goal.
          2 is right back.
          Number 3 can only be a left back, it should never be given to a sweeper.
          5 must always be a centre-back but 4 and 6 are interchangeable between centre-back and holding midfielder/sweeper.
          9 is for target men or out and out goal poachers.
          10 is for creative strikers or hole players, in which case the second striker gets 8, otherwise 8 is attacking midfielder.
          Right wing is 7 and left wing is 11.
          12 is always the most important sub.
          All other numbers have no meaning whatsoever except in World cup squads, where 13 and 23 are the two reserve goalies and 17 is the precoious talent who hasn't quite cemented his place in the first 11.

Comment

Bit premature surely Taylor. Who knows what might happen in the next 7 hours.

Comment

Haha. I always numbered my CM/FM squads the same way...

1, 13, 23, 33 - goalkeepers
              2 - right back
              3 - left back
              4 - defensive midfield (or centre back if playing three in defence)
              5, 6, 12 - centre backs (12 is the sub)
              7 - right wing (or attacking central midfield if playing 4-3-3)
              8 - attacking central midfield (or third striker if playing 4-3-3)
              9 - target man or poacher
              10 - second striker
              11 - left wing (or attacking central midfield if playing 4-3-3)
              14 - sub striker
              15, 16 - veteran squad players
              17, 18, 19 - hot prospects breaking into the first team
              20-29 - reserves
              30-39 - players I want shot of but may make up the numbers until sold

Comment

Sorry... Harry is/was who?

Comment

14 and 18 are for flair players who find 7, 8, 10 and 11 taken. In fact, as 14 is the 'Cruyff number' it can be used by any overweeningly confident fancy dan even if one of the main numbers is available.

18 can also be used for a centre back.

22 and 27 are for young strikers.

Comment

Mumpo wrote:
                    Sorry... Harry is/was who?
                    Harry is as Harry does...

Comment

The only positive element in any way to our FA Cup embarrassment by Staines was the fact that they (Staines) were numbered 1-11, no messing. I admired that. On the other hand we had various 20-somethings in both defence and midfield. Recipe for disaster.

I used to have strong views on this subject, broadly similar to Sean's, but these days I mostly just find it interesting to note when the striker who was given 9 pre-season, lumbers on for his first run-out in three months in February. Mostly Div 4 managers seem to change their minds about who's worth a first-team slot quite a lot.

Comment

There was a Bradford game at Northampton in 2006 where we finished the game wearing 1-11 (numbers 2 and 8 came on for 15 and 16 during the second half)

I'd still prefer 1-11, it looks a bit daft when you have Nicky Summerbee lining up on the right wing wearing number 9, or William Gallas wearing number 10.

Couldn't shirts just be numbered 1-11 and have a velcro patch on the back to which the name of a player could be attached/removed? Clubs would make less revenue from the personalisation of shirt sales, so it wouldn't be popular with them I suppose.

Comment

Crusoe's approach, as used by me:

1 - Starting keeper
                          12 - back-up keeper
                          13 - other keeper who you really want to use as a back-up but is just too dodgy

2 - right back

3,4 - starting center backs

5 - left back

6 - generally decent defender that gets a fair amount of starts due to injury

7 - right wing

11 - left wing

10 - best attacking player (usually AM/F C, in CM 01/02)

9 - Best Striker

8, 14, 15 - three interchangable strikers that rarely score a goal, and you really want to flog off to some underperforming rich team like Liverpool.

16, 17, 18 - squad utility players (possibly D/M L/Rs)

19 - random player you forgot you had (usually the one clogging your european squad)

20 - dominating box-to-box defensive midfielder

21 - hot shit youth player

22 - hot shit youth player that won't pan out

23 to 30 - transfer listed

31 to 40 - desperation signings

Comment

The only time you should have a squad number above 40 is if it's a kid from the youth team. All this 99, 77, 80 nonsense makes me feel sick.

Comment

Couldn't agree more.

Comment

Actually, Harry, I am surprised you haven't allowed 18 for strikers a la Zamorano

Comment

EIM wrote:
                                  The only time you should have a squad number above 40 is if it's a kid from the youth team. All this 99, 77, 80 nonsense makes me feel sick.
                                  Jimmy Bignutz wrote:
                                  Couldn't agree more.
                                  I find them exotic and I am always a sucker for the exotic. I think you'll agree that I've laid out strict guidelines as to who qualifies for them though.

It's far better aesthetically to have a 77,99 or 85 than a humdrum 24 or 38 for example.

I did ponder The Zamorano Principle, Bored, but decided I didn't like it.

Comment

I'm always 7 and I've played the majority of my glittering Sunday league career on the left wing.

Comment

When I went to América vs Atlas in the Azteca in February last year (last year! Am I the first on OTF to refer to 2009 thus?) América's starting centre back - I forget his name - had the number 125 on his back. That's not a typo. I don't mean 25. 125. And on TV in bars I saw at least one other player in the Mexican league with the same number.

Harry, never watch a game in Argentina. Argentines often refer to a player's position on the pitch or his role in the team by reference to shirt numbers, and this doesn't always have to do with the number he actually wears. Javier Mascherano may wear 20 for Liverpool, but in Argentina he is always the cinco (5) of that team.

Argentine numbers:
                                      1 - Goalkeeper

4 - Right back
                                      2, 6 - Centre backs
                                      3 - Left back

5 - Holding midfielder

7, 11 - Either a small nippy striker like Javier Saviola who tends to pull out wide, or a particularly attack-minded wide-right midfielder (for a 7) or wide-left midfielder (for an 11). Lionel Messi is utilised this way by Barcelona, but the national side are too stupid to try playing him like this because of the whole 'Maradona's heir' curse.

8 - Carrilero - midfielders who get from box to box, normally slightly more narrowly than a 7 or an 11 - Cf. Lucho González, Juan Sebastián Verón. Juan Román Riquelme began life as an 8.

9 - Target man (Hernán Crespo, Martín Palermo, Diego Milito, Lisandro López)

10 - Diego Maradona, Pablo Aimar, Ariel Ortega, Andrés D'Alessandro...

As the defensive numbering betrays, in Argentina a different centre half was withdrawn and added to the defensive line when 2-3-5 mutated into 3-2-5, hence the 5 staying in midfield and 4 going to the right back rather than right centre back. The system with attacking numbers isn't quite as clearly delineated, hence several numbers referring to forwards or midfielders, depending on a team's setup.

Comment

I seem to remember in the Ajax team in the mid-90's the centre-back wore number 3 while the left-back wore 5. They played a 3-4-3 sort of system, albeit an unusual one with one centre-back and the two full-backs, with the holding midfielder (wearing number 4) dropping in beside the centre-back when defending.

I've always thought that number 6 is a number that could be applied to just about any outfield position. Henry wore it as a winger for Juve, Downing wears it for Aston Villa now and I'm fairly sure Stan Collymore wore it up front for England once. I like the Argentine custom of allocating number 4 to the right-back and number 2 to the centre-back, and like it as midfielder's number too (Diaby at Arsenal). Number 9 isn't really anything other than the striker's number; Paul Ince wore it for Middlesbrough and it looked completely wrong, as does Gallas wearing number 10 for Arsenal. Milan Baros and Zinedine Zidane wearing number 5 for Liverpool and Real Madrid respectively looked really weird. AEK Athens midfielder Pantelis Kafes wears number 1 and Hicham Zerouali (RIP) who played for Aberdeen, was allocated the number 0 shirt for at least a season.

Unusual centre-back numbers include Sinisa Mihajlovic (number 11), Marcel Desailly (8 for France) and Victor Onopko (7) and number 7 was a common number for right-backs in Spain- don't know if it still is.

I don't feel there are any hard fast rules for numbers outside 1-11 but anything above 39 is unnecessary in my view (e.g. Hibernian goalie Yves Makabu-Makalambay wears number 50 but I'm pretty sure Hibs don't have 49 other first-team players), and agree with EIM on the whole year-of-birth numbering.

Comment

Gaizka Toquero, a centre forward for Athletic Bilbao, wears number 2. Back in the days of 1-11, Cantona turned out for Leeds a couple of times wearing number 3.

Nothing's sillier than Kafes and his number 1, of course. That kind of thing is only cool when it's freaky alphabetical-order World Cup squad numbers from the 70s, Jongbloed in goal wearing number 8 and all that. I've always been strangely charmed by the idea of number 10 being an attacking sweeper, though, for some reason.

Someone remind me of how Brazilian numbering works - their left back is number 6, right? Presumably there's a similar explanation to Argentine right backs wearing number 4.

Comment

Oh yeah, and is there any reason why practically every French club numbers their three goalies 1, 16 and 30? Or indeed, why the black goalie, assuming there is one, always seems to get the number 30? Clearly, neither of these traditions is going to be all that traditional.

I suppose the 16 could just date from Barthez in the World Cup winning side - possibly - but that still doesn't explain the 30.

Comment

On FM/CM i always used:

Goalkeeper 1,32,33

Right Back 2,12,22
                                              Left Back 3,13,23
                                              Right Centre Back 5,15,25
                                              Left Centre Back 4,14,24

Right Wing 7,17,27
                                              Left Wing 11,21,31
                                              Left Centre Midfield 6,16,26
                                              Right Centre Midfield 8,18,28

Left Centre Forward 10,20,30
                                              Right Centre Forward 9,19,29

Appeared common sense to me
                                              Last edited by Harbinger of Hope; 20-07-2023, 20:26.

Comment

Comment

I always assumed that the GKs in France wearing 16 dates back to pre-squad numbers - most countries have always had 5 subs, and while most had their reserve GK at 12, in France it was at the other end of the bench. Then when it went to squad numbers, a lot of reserve keepers started with 16, and stuck with it as they broke into the first team.

All conjecture, though, of course.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X