The luckiest man in rock and roll?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ringo Starr? Unseats the otherwise perfectly competent Pete Best and lucks into a rocket ride to fame and fortune.

Waylon Jennings? Gives up his seat on the ill-fated plane to Buddy Holly. Lives 40+ years longer due to his generosity.

Who else?

Bobby Gillespie? Rides to fame and fortune on the coat tails of first the Reid brothers, then Andy Weatherall, despite not being much good at anything, really.

Comment

Andrew Ridgley. Pisses around on video-sets on the med, downing cocktails, is involved in all the decent, joyful pop ever written by George Michael, drives around in sports cars like a mad joyous king, marries Keren out of Bananarama, disappears happily from public view with no breakdowns, tantrums or disastrous celebrity reinventions. A genius and a role model.

Comment

E10 Rifle wrote:
        Andrew Ridgley. Pisses around on video-sets on the med, downing cocktails, is involved in all the decent, joyful pop ever written by George Michael, drives around in sports cars like a mad joyous king, marries Keren out of Bananarama, disappears happily from public view with no breakdowns, tantrums or disastrous celebrity reinventions. A genius and a role model.
        And his 'percentage point' on Careless Whisper means he's probably raking it in every year for doing nothing.

Comment

I'm sure I once read that Ridgley's nickname in the industry was the 'vomit monster'. Tell me I'm not imagining things?

Comment

Well, he is a member of Camra, if Wikipedia is to be believed.

Comment

Really? My respect and admiration for the man just grows and grows.

Comment

How anybody can possibly dislike Ridgley is beyond me.

Comment

I know - it's like 'Son of Albert' never existed.

Comment

Years ago, my old boss told me that he used to go to Ridgley's local down in Newquay or wherever it is that he lives, and yer man would turn up once a month waving his Wham! royalties cheque and buy a drink for everyone in the pub.

Now the more I think about this story, and about the person who told it to me, the more I fear it's likely to be a load of old balls. But even so, I'd like it to be true.

Comment

This thread isn't about arseholes. It's about people who got really lucky. I'd say he fits the bill.

Comment

Quite. Good luck to him, I say. My old boss was an arsehole, though. Nothing Ridgely could do about that, mind.

Comment

otherwise perfectly competent Pete Best
                          George Martin would disagree with you WOM. And if you listen to pre-Ringo Beatles recordings, you'll find that George Martin was right. Besides, Ringo was a very good drummer.

Comment

Rod Stewart? An enduring Rock'nroll lifstyle based on what precisely?

Comment

A string of excellent albums released between 1969 and (arguably) 1974?

Comment

Mick Fleetwood and John Mc Vie perhaps?

Hook up with Peter Green, he writes a load of critally acclaimed and commercially successful records and all is good. And of course "Please, name the band after yourselves, I insist".

He dissappears and just as they find themselves in the soup, they discover that one of their wives is a bit handy, and then they somehow persuade Stevie Nicks and Lindsy Buckingham to jump aboard. Cue massive record sales and another thirty years of high living.

That's pretty lucky, twice. The spawny twats.

Comment

Very good call, Ould Fellah.

"A string of excellent albums released between 1969 and (arguably) 1974?"

I'd extend that to 1976, g-man. Don't think I own a Rod album after that year except his unplugged album which an ex once bought for me.

Comment

QUOTE:
                                    otherwise perfectly competent Pete Best

George Martin would disagree with you WOM. And if you listen to pre-Ringo Beatles recordings, you'll find that George Martin was right. Besides, Ringo was a very good drummer
                                    Most good drummers I have played with agree

Comment

Originally posted by Purves Grundy View Post
                                      Bobby Gillespie? Rides to fame and fortune on the coat tails of first the Reid brothers, then Andy Weatherall, despite not being much good at anything, really.
                                      Gillespie wasn't feeling too lucky after his appearance on This Week last night.

Closing credits, as tweeted here: https://twitter.com/DaveGorman/statu...71018795909121

Comment

That’s brilliant. Gillespie’s deadpan face whilst being forced to watch Brillo Neil, Portillo & Co do their dad dancing routine is a cracker.

Comment

Why did he agree to do it at all? I dozed off before we arrived at Gillespie's piece - but he seemed pretty non-plussed about being there in his intro.

That outro, however, is priceless.

Comment

surprised this thread didn't include a mention of bez.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                                              Ringo Starr? Unseats the otherwise perfectly competent Pete Best and lucks into a rocket ride to fame and fortune.

Waylon Jennings? Gives up his seat on the ill-fated plane to Buddy Holly. Lives 40+ years longer due to his generosity.

Who else?
                                              Pete Best wasn't competent. Ringo lucked out by being better than Pete at drumming, as well as not being a competitive threat on the girls front, but it's a myth to say Best was thrown out despite being competent.

I suppose the least talented member of any band qualifies here. Mike Joyce, for example.

On the Waylon Jennings theme, were there some musicians booked on the Lockerbie flight who switched? Or 9/11 flights?
                                              Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 19-10-2018, 15:30.

Comment

For cases like Andrew Ridgeley and Bez, where 'lucky' is used to suggest that they weren't really carrying their weight, it is reasonable to ask whether the band could have enjoyed the same success without them. George Michael always seemed happy to accept that Wham! wouldn't have been the same proposition without his more carefree partner. Without Bez as a visual anchor and mascot, the Mondays would have been vastly more likely to slip through the cracks into obscurity. Just ask the Stockholm Monsters.

To be fair to Bobby G, the only way to understand just how awful This Week can be is to watch This Week and you can hardly blame him for not doing that.

Comment

Bev Bevan made a living, the leaden-handed wanker.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X