College Basketball 2007-8 (part two)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thankfully and luckily not that prescient. I hate the Fartheels.

Kansas-Memphis should be incredible with all of that running.

Comment

I am sorry for Inca, but am happy that we've avoided the prospect of two hours of Billy Packer and Jim Nantz verbally fellating Love and Hansborough in that special way reserved only for Gritty White Players Who Make Up For Their Lack of Athleticism With Their Intelligence And Hard Work.

Comment

Sorry, Inca; it was always going to be tough with both Gyuri and me on your side.

And I see that jv is trying to keep up with the times now that Fartle is back.

Part of my old school heart doesn't like Memphis' rebranding; they should still be Memphis State. Like Gyuri, I also had a soft spot for the Danny Manning team. And what Soc Scrim said about the commentary (even if I haven't heard same for six years, I know exactly what the script is).

Comment

After a night's rest, I'm not nearly as pissed off as jv as I was last night.

Ben Howland referred to them as Memphis State during interviews last night. What's gone on there with the rebranding? I read an article in Harper's about an archaeological dig in Egypt overseen by Memphis, and it passingly referred to the school as coming into a lot of money.

With Florida and now with Memphis, we've just been overmmatched in terms of athletic ability in the Final Four. I still think Howland has the best fundamentals mind in college ball, but against teams like Memphis and Florida, that doesn't count for much.

Comment

Inca,

I think your diagnosis of UCLA's problems in the Final Four are dead on. I wonder whether it's a recruitment issue (can't get the very top athletes) or a strategic decision (Howland wants a certain type of player).

Further, as a fan of the Philadelphia Eagles (3 semifinal losses, one championship loss in 4 years), I completely sympathize with the frustration of getting so close to the mountaintop without being able to get over. It is fantastic that your team is able to get so close, but the failure to finally win is a special type of frustration. It's better to be great, but not great enough, than to be terrible, but still. . .

Comment

Everything I read about Kevin Love says that he's definitely leaving for the draft. But everything I read about the draft say he's a late lottery pick at best (although he seems to have gone up a bit in recent projections: the ESPN mock draft thingie has him at 9 now). Any chance he's going to return to UCLA if he's not projected high enough?

Comment

I hope so. I just don't think he's ready for the NBA (there are some great college players that never will be, though--I can't see Hansborough doing anything in the NBA). One thing that might encourage him to stay more is that his family is not exactly hurting for money, I don't think, and I know that's always something players say when they leave early--that they want to take care of their family.

He seems to be having fun in college, and like I said, I hope he's motivated to win a championship and if he stays, maybe some guys that could leave--Westbrook and/or Collison--might want to stick around to play alongside him some more.

Gyuri, I think it might be a combination. I don't want to blame Howland--he's turned the program around and made it a national player again--but I do think he can be too rigid in what he asks of his players. But on the other hand, not all of the players could play in a game like Memphis was running last night. I do think recruiting plays into it in the sense that the really explosive offensive players sometimes have egos to match, and I don't think they're attracted to Howland's mentality and style. I think we can get players that can run-and-gun (got some coming next year), but I don't think Howland will ever build a whole team of explosive players like Memphis.

Comment

Go Memphis. Go Used Car Salesman Turned Greasy Politician Who Will Be A Future Infomercial Spokesman.

Comment

Happy birthday, Jason.

Comment

Yup. #35. Unfortunately for my father-in-law, my daughter wasn't born today (thus ruining his plan for my birthday to be hijacked forever.) Happy Birthday to Francis Ford Coppola, Jackie Chan, Billie Holliday, John Oates of Hall&Oates, and Clark Gilles of the NY Islanders as well.

Real good game. This is as close to a game in the cages on 4th street at Washington Park or a game in the Rucker that I've seen. It's moved so fast with all of this running and not much fouling.

Comment

And of course, the refs not reffing.

Comment

Well, after a not-particularly exciting tournament, this game has been great. 62-60 with 44 seconds left.

Comment

I know those cages. I also know someone who viewed an apartment right next to them and was very clearly advised that his apartment would not be a peaceful one.

This is a good game - Kansas could really take this to the wire now.

Comment

Wonder if Memphis' foul shooting problems will cost them. They were fortunate to get the rebound on CDR's miss. But one more shot for him now.

Edit: He missed his first. Kansas can tie.

Comment

woah!

Comment

HOLY @##$! Chalmers off-balance three ties it. On to OT.

Comment

What a three point - Memphis missing so many three throws, and then a Kansas kid nails that three.

Memphis could be in trouble - they could easily let this go to their game.

Comment

Whudda Game. Thank God I'm not a Memphis fan.

9 point lead with 2:02 to go.

Just like that...Pffffffft

...It's Gone

Comment

Dorsey being gone is really hurting Memphis. Not that I mind. . .

Comment

Poor Memphis. They're spooked. Absolutely spooked.

Comment

Well - they hit that three. Kansas can bottle it now too.

Comment

Why did Memphis foul there?

Comment

It's done with that last one, anyway.

Comment

They're spooked, that's why. That's what teams that are spooked do, they make weird decisions, dopey decisions.

I'm not sure if I'd wish a choke like this on Puke. This team certainly didn't deserve something this painful. Thank GOD I have nothing to do with Memphis, don't know any of the players or coaches, and don't care about them. Because this is the worst kind of defeat. The kind that you're up 9 with 2 to play, and miss every freethrow you get.

But Kansas pulled it out against Davidson with their size, and gutted it out tonight with their size and a timely 3. Bill Self put together an incredible team; they had the size, they had the numbers, they had the bench, they could run, they could grind it out, they could hit 3s, and they got the job done.

Comment

Watching this last night, and taping it to watch the second half this morning (thank god I always add time to the Tivo recording for sports!), I can't believe I said a while back that I would have preferred Memphis to win. I forgot what a loathsome guy Calipari is, and they were a cocky team (I heard back in 2006, he had his team practice cutting down the net before playing UCLA in the Elite Eight). Nowhere near the levels of Florida, but still.

And so much for Calipari's "we hit the free throws when they count" BS excuse.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X