Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Russian Orthodox Christmas OTFathon

Hi all,

As part of our European odyssey I will be in London for the evenings of January 8 and 9.

It being the holiday season and the weekend, it might be a struggle but I would love to try and catch up with a few OTFers even if only for an hour so after work on the Friday.

We are staying in Earls Court/Kensington (yes, yes, I know) so somewhere nearish to that would be great but I think I can still navigate the tube well enough to get anywhere.

I'm game. But in order to get an evening pass from the missus you might have to pretend to be my real Uncle Ethan, who is actually my Dad's Uncle, who I haven't seen since 1991.

My Dad doesn't really have an Uncle Ethan, of course, but there's now way my missus knows this. I'm dead guarded about my family for situations just like this.

Comment

Yeah, I'm up for this. We can talk about March. That'll be nice.

Comment

I work in Kensington-yes-I-know, but you did say "weekend". Still, I'll be there.

Comment

Just bumping this up to seek a venue suggestion and a time for the Friday night.

I also need a little advice on late(ish) night travel in London. Are mini cabs still the best bet as in cheaper than black cabs and safer after about 11pm than tube/bus for a family that screams tourist?

We need to get back from a theatre near Charing Cross to our hotel on the Saturday night.

Oh and EIM I will happily lie on a stat dec if that helps.

Comment

Just bumping this up as we leave in a couple of days and I am not sure what our interent access will be. Are there many free access wifi cafes and the like?

If anyone can make it early Friday for an hour or so let me know a suggested venue.

This is conditional on us not freezing to death. 103 fahrenheit yesterday and heading to minus three according to the UK papers.

Now that's an interesting change of scene.

Comment

I'll still be up for this.

Comment

Uncle Ethan wrote:
                Are there many free access wifi cafes and the like?
                Most Starbucks and McDonalds offer free wifi.

Just get an orange juice or something...

Comment

Thanks guys. Still need a venue. One nearish to a cinema would be good so the others can do something for a couple of hours.

Comment

The pub I work in is nice. And near a cinema on the Fulham Road. Not too far from Earls Court either.

Comment

That'll do for me. I love the idea of staff discount too.

Comment

So, what's it going to be then, eh?

Comment

I'm there if we decide where and when. Oh and don't worry about safety on the tube.

Comment

Tomorrow night would be perfect for me. I finish work at 8, and it's generally quiet on Saturday nights. But it's not all about me.

Comment

Yeah, count me in too. Be good to see everyone.
                              In addition to which, I'm bored senseless of post Xmas funk and skintness.

Comment

So what's the venue?

Comment

hobbes wrote:
                                  I'm bored senseless of post Xmas funk
                                  Hobbesian wrongness... the two best new year's eves of my life were spent at funk nights. You should give it a chance.

Comment

Is there drinks? It is confusing because the op says friday.

Comment

Yeah. But he didn't get back to us. The scoundrel.

Comment

We could have drinks anyway and hope UE sees this later?

Comment

It says he's going to the theatre tonight presumably on the strand. maybe he would be able to pop into *you choose a covent garden pub,i wouldn't dare* for a bit. Frankly I'd be happy to start drinking right now. It's that kind of week.

Comment

I'm off lager as I'm thinning, so as long as the house red isn't toe-curling I don't care where we go.

Comment

I am loath to suggest the coal hole, but it is findable on the strand. or the lyceum thingy.

Anyway I am going out to the park now for my daily dose of snow therapy. I expect someone to have decided something by the time I return.

Comment

If it's going to be Covent Garden, I vote for the Lamb & Flag.

Comment

I reckon we should keep the strand in mind, but if we don't hear from Ethan by about 6.30 choose somewhere easy to get home from for all of us. I think I have everyone's numbers, so I'll pm mine to Uncle Ethan as I'm off out now for awhile. If I hear from him I'll post here or text Lyra, GY and Eim with details.
                                                  How's that?

Comment

Working...
                                                  X