Gideon Haigh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gideon Haigh

I know I've talked Haigh up on here previously but having just read his 'Ultimate Test: The Story of the 2009 Ashes' I have no hesitation in doing so again.

Beautifully written, full of astute observations and wry bon mots. He talks of Ponting, for example, in not using his front-line bowlers to see off the SA tail- end in Melbourne last winter as "apparently waiting for the innings to perish of natural causes", while Hayden is seen as a player who often "let his talk do the cricketing".

The Ashes series itself is analysed with insight and perception.

Completely engaging throughout, this really is another testimony to the idea (well, okay my idea) that Haigh is pretty much the best sportswriter out there.

I wouldn't mind reading Atherton's book on the series, either.

Gideon Haigh

Thanks for the recommendation; I'll definitely either pick this up or ask for it for Christmas. Haigh's stuff in the G******n is usually excellent.

Comment

Gideon Haigh

Hayden is seen as a player who often "let his talk do the cricketing".
      Surely this is too good to be newly-coined. I've certainly never heard it before, though. Wonderful stuff.

Comment

Gideon Haigh

Why on Earth... wrote:
        Haigh's stuff in the G******n is usually excellent.
        Well it used to be.

Despite the fact that his daily reports were easily the best thing about The Guardian's 2005 coverage, Haigh was discarded for this year's series and ended up writing just a daily blog for Wisden until his mate Atherton got him a short-term gig at The Times during the summer.

Comment

Gideon Haigh

He writes for Cric Info a lot these days doesn't he?

Thanks very much for the tip, duly noted.

Comment

Gideon Haigh

Just finished Haigh's new book 'Sphere Of Influence' in which he examines the broader issues of the game (money, corruption) with the keen eye and even keener style as you might expect.

Recommended - probably essential.

Comment

Working...
            X