Christmas shopping...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Christmas shopping...

Got everything done, I think - girlfriend, daughters, parents, siblings.

I'm done! And it's not even December.

This is not like me. Normally I'm still panicking on December 23rd and heading to whatever shop is still open. Of course, if this year they don't all want a litre of Bailey's badly wrapped in newspaper, they can all feck off.

Christmas buying really does cause more stress than it ought to, though, doesn't it?

Christmas shopping...

Christmas shopping is the most annoying, frustrating and tedious thing to have to deal with and that is the sole reason that I got married.

Only kidding, but since meeting Mrs of the Shed I've only ever had to worry about her present. She seems to enjoy all that malarkey.

Comment

Christmas shopping...

I miss the days when i could mosy down the off licence on xmas eve and get something for everybody.

I was shocked to discover on my last trip to brum that the local offie has been turned into a Nursery.

This year I shall find out who is actually giving presents before I make an effort for the fucking tight wads as I did last year. Cunts. Humbug etc.

Comment

Christmas shopping...

I haven't started. I was going to start a thread for this next question but here's probably as good a place as any.

TLMG has been wondering about a netbook for a little while now. Given that we've imposed a limit on spending of £200 each, can I get something good for this kind of money?

Comment

Christmas shopping...

Another very good reason to duck out of the whole christmas thing again this year I think. Or I could start knitting egg-cosies now.

Comment

Christmas shopping...

There's mother, for whom I can buy very easily, and don't need to spend much.

There my common-law nephew, who will be getting a new load of gear from the club shop.

Then there are my nephew and niece who have everything, and I'm really not sure what to do there. Maybe take them to the Polka Theatre.

That's about it.

Comment

Christmas shopping...

I bloody love buying presents for people.
              It's P's birthday tomorrow though, so my budget is pretty much blown until next payday which leaves a certain amount of last-minute panic.
              And rules out internet shopping, annoyingly.

Comment

Christmas shopping...

I quite like buying presents for people. What I don't like is trying to suss out what gifts to get for people who only like a limited amount of stuff and who say 'no' when you even suggest a book to them. No, not a specific book, but any book.

I'm talking about my Dad, whose tastes as far as gifts are concerned, are vague and impenetrable, the crank old sod.

Comment

Christmas shopping...

I'm nearly done - all I've got to sort out now is something for my new brother-in-law, and a birthday present for my mum, who hits the big six-oh two days before Christmas. Oh, and something for my friends in Ireland. And their kids. And my aunt and uncle. And...

Comment

Christmas shopping...

Answer me, you question-dodging bastards.

Where's GY when you need him?

Comment

Christmas shopping...

HMV do a decent one for a quid shy of a ton, Toby G.

Comment

Christmas shopping...

Cheers Eric's, much appreciated.

Can I get them to doctor the receipt to say £200, do you reckon?

Comment

Christmas shopping...

Toby Gymshorts wrote:
                          Given that we've imposed a limit on spending of £200 each...
                          Golly. Our limit is twenty. It certainly reduces expectations, which I think is a great thing.

The pressure to come up with something that rates as a "decent" pressy still endures, of course, but thankfully the stakes are considerably lower.

Comment

Christmas shopping...

If anyone wants to buy me a present. I'd love one of these... http://architecture.lego.com/en-us/P...lingwater.aspx

Comment

Christmas shopping...

This is what I want for Christmas, I can sleep on Larrys face.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Personalised-C...item2a026d9be6

Comment

Christmas shopping...

And here's a present that you should buy for absolutely nobody, no matter how much you detest them.

If you can't guess at the quality of it from song titles such a "I Predict A Diet" then just read some of the reviews on this site.
                                Theres hardly a point in writing a review on this because you just know its going to be amazing! Its so funny and its great to have all these quality songs on one album.
                                Must buy!
                                Without a doubt this album is going to be worth the wait! My Favourtie song is the barack obama one Chris moyles is only going to be liked more and more by the nation after this
                                TWO smiley faces, wow, tells me everything I need to know about the album, or maybe just tells me everything I need to know about the fuckwitted amoeba writng that review.

Comment

Christmas shopping...

Brilliant. Moyles rips off The Shirehorses 10 years after the fact, without any of the humour or charm. Twat.

Anyway, I'm bumping this to ask those who know about such things if this netbook is any cop.

Comment

Christmas shopping...

Sorry, Toby, it's been a while since I bought my netbook so I'm not really sure what's the best value right now. That one looks fine from the specs, but I'd make two points.

1) Consider what the recipient is going to do with it. I wanted mine to be rugged, so I went with a lower capacity SSD instead of a hard drive. That way I don't have to worry about dropping it or banging or banging my bag against something. If that's not an issue, you're probably better off with a hard drive.

2) Sometimes (though not always), higher specced machines have lower battey life. There's basically a triangle of power, weight and battery life and somethign has to give. So work out what's most important and maximise that.

Comment

Christmas shopping...

Cheers, GY, that's really helpful.

It's for the Mrs, so it will basically be shuttled back and forth between the office and home, and used for some general web tomfoolery and the occasional bit of word-processing. Nothing too daunting.

Having said that, she broke the last one in the space of a day by:

a) spilling water on it and then
                                      b) knocking it off a desk

Maybe I should reconsider.

Comment

Christmas shopping...

TWO smiley faces, wow, tells me everything I need to know about the album, or maybe just tells me everything I need to know about the fuckwitted amoeba writng that review
                                        You don't think Sean, that they may perhaps be being facetious in their reviews? In a "framed picture of Paul Ross" kind of way?

Comment

Christmas shopping...

Toby Gymshorts wrote:
                                          Cheers, GY, that's really helpful.

It's for the Mrs, so it will basically be shuttled back and forth between the office and home, and used for some general web tomfoolery and the occasional bit of word-processing. Nothing too daunting.

Having said that, she broke the last one in the space of a day by:

a) spilling water on it and then
                                          b) knocking it off a desk

Maybe I should reconsider.
                                          Even if it's 'occasional' word-processing, the keyboards on Netbooks take some getting used to. Just something to bear in mind. I have Dell netbook and love it. I can play Champ Manager 01/02 on it and it plays video streamed from my home server perfectly. I combine it with my Nokia E71 phone and the JoikuSpot app and I can get the internet anywhere on it.

Comment

Christmas shopping...

Brilliant. Moyles rips off The Shirehorses 10 years after the fact, without any of the humour or charm. Twat
                                            That's the only review you need of that.

The Shirehorses' album was fucking brilliant. In fact I bet it's lasted better than a similar compilation of the songs it was actually parodying would have done.

I particularly remember "Feel like Shite", the rip-off of "Feel Alright".

I quite like Moyles, as I've betrayed before. But his attempts at scripting "comedy" (as opposed to just being spontaneouly rude to his guests and colleagues) are bloody awful, which is probably why his repeated attempts at a TV career platform have all bombed. He'll certainly go down in history as the only long-standing Radio One Breakfast DJ never to progress to a TV career. Even Simon Mayo had a few stints as a quiz show host, and Steve Wright had the "TOTP2" years.

Comment

Christmas shopping...

I particularly liked "Horny" by Chocolate Mousse Tea, just for the puerile, lurid, beeped-out filth over the top. Still makes me giggle now.

Comment

Christmas shopping...

Wierd Al Yankovic was several years before Mark and Lard's effort.

Comment

Christmas shopping...

Five fucking hours slogging around Preston today, and at the end of it I'd found absolutely nothing I was after. Was it too much to hope that at least one shop would have a pair of pink size 8 hi-top Converse All-Stars?

Comment

Working...
                                                  X