Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shopping around ... credit crunch style!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been looking to get some minor electrical work done on my house. Nothing major, just adding a light switch, some spotlights, and an additional electrical point added to the skirting, in an area where none such currently exist.

I've had three blokes round today, with various quotes.

£180 - PLUS VAT and fixtures - from the first bloke, who (while I was shooing him out of the house) was still trying to explain to me that it was "all about his time, and he'd got other guys working for his company and that". He was about 60.

£150 from the second bloke, who actually nudged me and said "that would only be for cash". He was maybe 45.

And a £125 all-in ("that's guaranteed) from the last guy, who I liked, and admitted that it might even cost a lot less "if he can do it quicker". He was about 27.

I've hired the last one. I think the older ones haven't grasped the concept of "competition" in an increasingly open market - indeed, are still living in the days when basic labourers could expect to charge moneyed householders £40 an hour for simple jobs, and drink tea and piss in the sink while they were at it.

Fuck 'em.

Yeah, but what you've got to understand pal.....is that its all about your 'Part P' these days. You just can't let any old Tom,Dick and Polish Piotr do electrical work anymore, it's the 'law' ya see. I mean after doing the work I'm going to have to test it and write up a 'minor works certificate', and that means paper work.. .. which is gonna cost you a bit extra......Of course I'll do it for £50 less, cash in hand, no questions asked! Now...can I use your toilet mate!?! .

Comment

Working...
    X