X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mental note: emigrate in 2010

Life imitates 'The Thick of It' again;

Actually that was a Private Eye cartoon.

Comment

is that the Old Street roundabout?

Comment

Gangster Octopus wrote:
        Actually that was a Private Eye cartoon.
        That's where it should have stayed then.

Yes Tubby, this morning at (as you can see) 11.07am. Spotter's badge.

Comment

http://itn.co.uk/121e283b050c2b75df9904f5f6856b87.html

Cameron and Osborne the 'Jedward' of politics?

Fri Nov 13 2009 16:03:45

Watch out Westminster- the rise of the 'terrible twins' has even hit politics.

The Labour Party are calling the Conservative leader David Cameron and the shadow chancellor, George Osborne, the "Jedward" of British politics.

A picture of the two of them, mocked up to look like Irish X Factor act John and Edward, has been put on the party's website, with a slogan warning voters: "You won't be laughing if they win."

It could also be used as a giant billboard poster during the next General Election.

The twins' performances have split political as well as public opinion. Gordon Brown recently told a group of schoolchildren that he thought the pair were "not very good", but the Tory leader begs to differ.

Although traditionally a Strictly Come Dancing fan, Mr Cameron has admitted that he wants the twins to win the ITV1 talent show. He said: "You only need to watch a few minutes and suddenly, 40 minutes later, you're still nailed to your chair waiting for the terrible twins to appear."

Despite being described as a tuneless novelty act, the boys have survived a series of public votes, with some pundits, although not the bookmakers, tipping them to snatch a shock win.

On its website, Labour said: "This week David Cameron announced that John and Edward are his favourites to win X Factor. It's hardly surprising. David Cameron and George Osborne are the Jedward of politics. Hilarious to watch. All spin and no substance. But you won't be laughing if they win."

Asked if they would use the image more widely, a spokesman said: "We're in discussion with our creatives and have many visuals, some or all of which will be used in print, online and other formats during our General Election campaign."

Comment

Ohmigawd, it's going to the be the IKYABWAI election campaign.

Actually, I suppose they all are but this must be a new low.

Comment

JtS wrote:
              "But you won't be laughing if they win."
              I'm not laughing now.

Comment

And for those of us who don't watch X-Factor this is all completly baffling.

Anyway, there's talk in the news again of a hung Parliament, which strikes me as the best outcome at the next election. I fear, though, that it's just a blip, and that we must prepare ourselves for the sheer horror of Cameron being in power.

Comment

I think "best outcome" is a little strong. Perhaps "Least bad of all the conceivable outcomes."

Comment

Jedward are out?!?

Comment

Which party do you think would support the Tories in government, then, in a "balanced" parliament?

Comment

I wonder what this place is going to be like if we get a Tory Governemnt.

Shall we start a 'Fuck off Dave' thread now?

Comment

JtS wrote:
                          Despite being described as a tuneless novelty act
                          Sadly looks like an apt term to describe most political victors, not least the next British election.

For a 'hung' parliament, being the best of a mediocre bunch would take the Libs giving New Labour a kick somewhere apt.
                          Can't see the Greens making any impact sadly, but wouldn't write-off the Tories/UKIP as a very long shot. What a horrible thought.

And take it no-one would work with the Nazis, If.

Comment

Its been bugging me all afternoon but I've just realised the its the Child Catcher out of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang that Osbourne reminds me of in this picture.

Comment

Can't see the Greens making any impact sadly, but wouldn't write-off the Tories/UKIP as a very long shot. What a horrible thought.
                              Perhaps a more chilling prospect is the DUP propping up a minority Tory administration. It's often forgotten that they are the 4th largest party in the UK parliament.

Comment

Hmmmm. Good point.

Or the SNP, in return for a promise to honour the result of a referendum?

Comment

Working...
                                X