Scratch disks are full

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scratch disks are full

Whenever I try to open Photoshop, I'm getting a box saying "Could not complete your request because the scratch disks are full". What does this mean, and what can I do about it?

Scratch disks are full

Spearmint Rhino wrote:
    Whenever I try to open Photoshop, I'm getting a box saying "Could not complete your request because the scratch disks are full". What does this mean, and what can I do about it?
    It means you're running out of space on your PC, usually. If you have more than one partition or disc switch Photoshop to that. If not, you need to clear some space (maybe a gig or two).

You may also need to mess around with virtual memory settings but that's a bit outside my area.

Comment

Scratch disks are full

Computer says nah.

Comment

Scratch disks are full

Is there any point to partitioning a disc now that external hard drives are so cheap?

Comment

Scratch disks are full

I never got my head around the point of partitioning. Lots of people tried to explain it to me.

Comment

Scratch disks are full

If you have an external drive attached you can assign that as a secondary scratch disk (your startup disk is usually the first). This will mean that when Photoshop runs out of disk space on the first scratch disk it will use the second disk for its image processing. Do this in Photoshop preferences.

Many Photoshop tasks need around three times as much disk space as the size of the file you are working on, and every change you have made to a file is enlarging the file as you work unless you purge the file as you work on it. This means while working on a 20mb file it could easily be using 100mb of disk space and needing 200mb or more to be able to make changes.

In short, as already said, your primary scratch disk is nearly full.

Comment

Working...
            X