Kate Bush: The Hounds of Love

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is the latest in the series of albums that I've been picking up for a fiver in my local DVD store. God I love the 'crisis' in the music industry.

I was aware of this album when it came out in 1985, and remember the two big singles 'Running Up That Hill' and 'Cloudbusting'. But by and large Kate Bush passed me by at that time, as being in a class divided by Smiths and U2 fans provided plenty of distractions.

So I've listened to it twice and sure enough Running Up That Hill is superb and a fantastic intro to what promises to be an interesting and at times surrreal journey through what's arguably one of the most enduring records of the '80s.

So what's the OTF collective view on the Hounds of Love? Is it an iconic album (as a quick bit of googling seems to indicate)?

'Big Sky's as good as those two, particularly the long version.

Comment

It cost me a fiver as well, when it came out. It's the only album I still possess that's on that EMI cassette format where the music is preceded and succeeded by that 'du-dee-dee-deep!' series of bleeps.

For my money it's Kate's most consistent album; side 1 is a series of frozen pop classics while side 2 consists of 'The Ninth Wave', a sort of concept mini-album weaving in and out of dreams of drowning and making full use of her talent for mashing Fairlight experimentalism against folk forms - 'Waking The Witch' in particular is amazing.

I put it in my personal top five, along with 'The Dreaming'. It's a contender for the most wilfully experimental work to be a bone fide smash hit album in my view. Enjoy!

Comment

Under Ice is of course the track that The Field turned into the wonderful Over The Ice

Comment

I love the drum sound on The Hounds Of Love.

She worked with Gabriel on his third album, from which this cymbal-less thumping beat originated.

Comment

In honour of her 60th birthday, I've given this a good listen for the first time in far, far too long.

It's fucking magnificent.

Comment

Also Wuthering Heights author Emily Bronte was born 200 years ago today.

Comment

As well as adding to the flow of love for the album, I thought I'd just highlight the crisis in the record industry meaning CDs were selling for a fiver - that proved to be far from the bottom of the market. And another excuse to trot out a time/cost staple: when I was a student in 1990 albums were typically 5.99-6.99, and CDs usually 11.99 but some shops sold new releases at 9.99. Nearly thirty years later 9.99 is the top end of what I'd expect to pay for a new release.

Comment

I think Hounds Of Love is being reissued on vinyl later this year. Can't imagine it'll be less than twenty quid.

Comment

Great album, great artist.

The title track is really good. The sample which kicks it off "It's in the trees! It's coming!" is such an exciting start to a song and fits perfectly with the tempo.

Comment

Working...
                    X