Atheist Bus Campaign - The Sequel!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah I was gonna say, lots of people used to send their kids to sunday school even if they don't believe in it; free babysitting and more time for sinning innit?

Comment

I dunno, WOM, Mrs Earth got sent to some sort of Protestant Sunday school thing in Scarborough, and her parents weren't really religious. It seemed to be just kind of the done working-class thing round their way, plus it got the whining little brat (who later became the woman I love) out the bloody house. She also decided it was all guff.

On Toro's thing: it's one thing to say there's no such thing as a strictly neutral upbringing, it's quite another, and a huge equivocation, to say we should all indoctrinate away to our hearts' content and, moreover, use whatever happens to be our own position as the default descriptor for our children. It's the latter point of view I think the bus people are against, not the former.

As it goes, I think I would say that at the moment my kids are atheists, and it would be surprising if this had nothing to do with the fact that their parents are also atheists. But while their atheism may be partly or even mainly a causal consequence of ours, it's not a necessary consequence. Yet people take "children of Muslims are Muslim children" as the statement of an axiom, rather than simply a very good statistical guess.

Comment

And yeah, we do that Guardian-reader thing of saying "Well, this is what I think, but some people think this", and try to be fair to the other point of view. I even do that with Toryism, God (as it were) help me.

Comment

Can we please get away from such terribly reductive terms as "bus people"!

Comment

WE & EIM: right, and the same thing happened to me. But my point is that none of us was sent to a Muslim school or a Jewish daycare or a Catholic Sunday school. So even though it might have been a very half-assed shove toward the church, it was down a very specific path.

But if you don't go to church, and your kid notices and asks why not, you're going to influence their thinking by dint of your answer. In Mrs WOM's case, she buys into the whole 'a broad range of views' thing and answers accordingly. I answer in the 'because there's no God' vein.

I mean, if I believe this as deeply as I do, why would I raise my child with the prospect of half-baked ideas and outright lies? I mean, I don't plan to teach them that there are viable creation theories if you can't get your head around evolution, so why would I do otherwise with deities and fairies and whatnot? It really makes no sense.

Comment

That's a good point. I guess I apply a kind of "Is this opinion flatly contradicted by the known facts?" yardstick, which is different from my "Is this opinion merely unsupported by the known facts?" yardstick.

(Before Toro says that atheism's also u. by the k. f.'s: yes, I know you think that, but we disagree innit.)

Comment

the main issue the BHA are promoting is that of opposition to faith schools more than the idea of parents introducing children to religion at home.
                I am genuinely not getting that from that bus sign, Harry

Comment

From my own personal experience, I am never sure about long-lasting parental influence on children's religious beliefs.

My father is an atheist and my Mum is a Christian, I am a card-carrying Godboy and my two brothers are athiests. We had exactly the same upbringing and, on everything else from poltics, music to football teams, we agree.

We went to as non-religious a school as there was in those days i.e. Christian assembly and pretty weak Christian RE.

Maybe that was the key

Comment

Your father is an agnostic and you don't always agree with at least one of your brothers on politics.

Comment

Bored of Education wrote:
                      the main issue the BHA are promoting is that of opposition to faith schools more than the idea of parents introducing children to religion at home.
                      I am genuinely not getting that from that bus sign, Harry
                      No, the bus ad wasn't but this new poster campaign is an entry in to their No Faith School campaign.

See here and below;

The BHA has launched a fundraising campaign to coincide with the unveiling of the billboards which will raise money for campaigns to phase out state funded 'faith schools’ and allow our dedicated campaigns officer to keep his job for another year. You can donate here and help to raise your voice against faith schools.

Comment

OK, I see. Cool

Comment

Harry Truscott wrote:
                          Your father is an agnostic and you don't always agree with at least one of your brothers on politics.
                          Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!

Comment

Your mother cooks socks in Hull

Comment

Working...
                            X