Is that a gun in your hand?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Or are you just looking forward to meeting me?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/8352864.stm

How (and why) exactly did the Yard find out about his online dating? It doesn't say.

Comment

You don't think it likely that someone who used that dating service might have decided to report his comments to his employer?

The question of how they found out seems a low priority in this context. A higher priority seems to me to be whether they can do some more effective psychological profiling of people they appoint to armed duty.

Comment

Firearms officers routinely have to face some of the most difficult and dangerous situations in policing
        Yeah. Some of those rucksacks unarmed students carry around with them can catch you a nasty ding in the face if you're not careful

Comment

Lord Mauleverer wrote:

The question of how they found out seems a low priority in this context. A higher priority seems to me to be whether they can do some more effective psychological profiling of people they appoint to armed duty.
          Why? Is there a proven link between "sexually adventurous" people and the inability to handle a firearm properly?

There is certainly a case for him being disciplined due to him using his uniform and occupation but I'm not sure how you link it to him being unable to perform his duties adequately.

Comment

Nil Arshavin wrote:
            There is certainly a case for him being disciplined
            That article makes very clear that he's the dominant one...

Comment

Apparently, he posted the following in his profile:

I am an armed policeman in London and very dominant
              That strikes me as an indication that he is unsuitable to be given an armed role. Please don't misunderstand what I'm attacking here.

I do NOT have any problem at all with men being into being "dominant" as a sex kink.

Nor do I have any problem with such men being in the armed police.

Nor do I have much problem with armed policeman mentioning their status in their profile, though it does strike me as a little dodgy to boast about the "armed" bit.

Nor (unlike Guy apparently) would I want to belittle the dangers faced by armed police given the rampant gun culture in our cities and the insance behaviour of armed gangs.

What I do have a big problem with is the way the guy links his "dominant" sexuality with his armed policeman role in a (more or less) public site. It raises a suspicion of someone who is going to act inappropriately when armed due to being on some power trip while on duty. At best, it shows crass insensitivity to the need for armed officers to take the privileges of their role and the dangers of their arms seriously and show respect for the general (unarmed) public.

Comment

Well, the whole thing is about judgement, isn't it? And I think he's likely demonstrated that his isn't too sound. And given his job, it ought to be.

Comment

Working...
                X